Notices

Yippee!!!! The Weekender Thread Sept 19-21

Old 09-20-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Ok first things first, thank you both oldself and Brain for the honorable mention. love the new avatar not quite as stimulating as raw bacon but definitely thumb worthy.

Ok need to breath a breath of funny in here it's Saturday and time to laugh. I expect some doozies. Docket is open. Will just let it evolve organically. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd GOOOO!
Old 09-20-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Oh and on Chicago style "pizza".... I'm not saying it doesn't taste good because it does however, it is the product of pizza becoming a cake.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders, just a quick passing through!!

Sunny afternoon here, getting myself sorted to head out to a wedding, I was working this morning so I can't see it being a late one, speeches and meal, and that might be enough before making my way home!!

My sister got married a few months back, and since then these things don't cause any anxiety, the amount of non drinkers at weddings is amazing, and the potential for great conversation all evening without the worry over anything alcohol related is there in abundance, my eyes were truly opened and have since attended a few more over the summer, as drinkers I think we cared more about what was in our glass and can still be consumed by those thoughts, but the reality is no one else really cares that much.

Hope everyone is doing well, and welcome to all the newcomers to the thread!!

Let's keep it Sober!!
Old 09-20-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

My son's girlfriend abruptly broke up with him yesterday so lot's of sadness and transition happening this weekend at our house. This is his first true love and ending of a relationship; it causes me to think of the relationships that have ended for me. He is trying to figure out what to do with himself and it is hard to imagine the next steps...quite like it was when I got divorced as well as when I quit drinking. Our sober slogans apply in many ways!
Old 09-20-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

I have heard the "pizza vs. cake" argument. There was an article about it in the paper. I still can't weigh in though. I've been to NYC three times and I never ate pizza while I was there. So, can't disdain what I've not had. Well, I could, just on principle, but that's not fair.

Cat just took off after something. Might have been the chipmunk, might have been a bird. I heard a squeak and caught a glimpse of something brown. Last night I surprised a big fat raccoon on my back porch. It was cute. Looked at me and meandered down the steps, turning once in a while to stop and look at me.

I used to see creatures all the time in my yard and thought that this year they were seeming scarce but I've realized I don't see them because my eyes are usually glued to the thread.

M. sorry to hear about the SR friend who went back out. It shows something positive that he is keeping in contact with you so hope is not lost. Drip, drip, drip. When I hear the term "going back out" I get a mental picture of someone walking alone out the door of a brightly lit warm room filled with laughter and cheer into the dark, quiet and cold night, with dead leaves swirling underfoot in the wind. Even on the brightest of days, when i was still drinking I was in that dark cold place, alone.

Cats are clamoring. Kids are clamoring. My plate is full today. I think I will check on kids first. Cats are sitting there in their waiting mode and eyes half shut. Peaceful. The second I stand up they will spring into action. Will check in later.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Rough night last night. Stupid cravings. But I made it. Let's do this
Old 09-20-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Yay CountryGirl, for making it through. It used to come on so strongly it hurt. But once it passed, each day I gained strength. Keep posting. At some point it won't hurt and you won't even realize when the shift changes. One day you will simply have the dawning idea of "hey! I don't want a drink!"
Old 09-20-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Bookmaven and Countrygirl, when I was at 5 months in May 2013 I relapsed--and it was so not worth it. Just tough it out, no matter what. The actual drinking just doesn't measure up to the sweet anticipation.

Cling to whatever lifelines you have and just don't pick up.

Lola, I'm glad you've come right back! Hope your day is going well!
Old 09-20-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Passin' The Buck

I'm pleased to report that the 2 Locals in the Pic below - taken from inside our House - are the only ones butting Heads around here. A string of these Antler 'Sheds' found laying about line our Kitchen Windowsill. The Pooch loves 'em. He sniffs one out, and tosses it up in the Air like some au naturel Dog Toy.

No more bucking my permanently-Retired AV, per my Big Plan, and that's a mighty good feeling >8 months in. Da Wife shook herself up a single Martini last night, and I honestly could not have cared less. Just the occasional whiff of it while sitting outside was a pretty alien 'aroma', and had no allure whatsoever. As a Female Boss used to say: 'Stick a Fork in my Azz - I'm done'.

There's a few Fall Festivals around W. Colorado, and perhaps we'll hit one today. While Sober. Whatta concept, eh? A Railroad-oriented Festival around Actor Dennis Weaver's adopted Hometown - the Hot Springs Town of Ridgway - looks interesting, since I'm a bit of an Old West Railroad Geek.

Ridgway Railroad Museum Website

The Trees here are changing in a big way, causing us to ask one another that perennial question: 'How's your Aspen'?

I'm a former California Man; born in the Orange Groves there. So, I'll let my Power Pop favorites 'Cheap Trick' blast us into a fine and Sober Saturday.

Stay strong, Noobs. There is a light at the end of the Tunnel, and it is not a Train Locomotive.

Video Music Link

'California Man' ~ Cheap Trick - Live At Budokan

-----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bucks_6.JPG (56.2 KB, 65 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders! Sober today and on Day 6 for me.

countrygirl2014, I hear ya! Day 4 and 5 I fought hard against my AV just chattering away in my head. I am so happy I didn't pick up a drink and really hope it gets better. I proved I can tough it out though and you did too. Yeah for us!

My day today is filled with a trip to a state park and a good book. My dog is coming along and she will love it as it is supposed to be warm today and there are lakes everywhere that she can jump/swim in if she wants. Might bring some snacks too.

I was planning on taking my lunch to the park, I didn't sleep very well last night and might need a nap after lunch instead. So, we will go this afternoon and loll in the sunshine.

Stay sober everyone. Have a great Saturday!

Old 09-20-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Good morning, weekenders. Yes, I'm having pizza for breakfast. LOL!
Old 09-20-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

My MIL is here. She just heated pizza for breakfast. I had yogurt and granola.

For the Francophiles, I ran across a deliciously bad name at work that I'm still laughing about. Franswa.

Time to wash dishes. Reminding me again why I'm doing the kitchen project.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Nothing even comes close to cold pizza in the morning. Well maybe pancakes do.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I'll need to catch up on my weekend reading here soon, but just wanted to say it's my big 3-0 today, I'm sober and excited! This is the best gift I could give myself, entering my thirties sober.

In the end my "want to get trashed" friend didn't want to go out, so the situation remedied itself. Lesson: don't worry so much, a lot of circumstances work themselves out. he came over and we watched Jim Muloney (I think? Stand up comedy), ordered in burgers from this kick a** place down the street. It was a good night.

Grandparents and family for birthday lunch, then meeting at six. Will catch up here soon.

Hugs, everybody!!!
Old 09-20-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Franswa. Yikes.

Sold my other TV this morning, guy came and picked it up at 9am. Then made two runs to the trash, and went to the grocery store to make sure I have enough in the house to eat for the weekend. Progress is steady, and encouraging. So glad I gave myself 2 weeks to take care of the moving process at a pace that is comfortable and manageable for me.

Imperfect - If you're looking for laughs that pertain to this thread, here's a GREAT clip from the Jon Stewart Show. It's a great take on the NY vs. Chicago rivalry and he goes off on the pizza situation: Tower Record - The Daily Show - Video Clip | Comedy Central

The PIZZA conversation gets started at about the 3.45 mark for those interested in a laugh!
Old 09-20-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders, oh what to do on this fine beautiful day. I'm back at it, day 4 and things feel so much better. I guess a little cleaning and errands are in order. It's nice not to be laying on the couch feeling horrible and full of regret. After reading through this some pizza comes to mind also
Old 09-20-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Well, it's weekend # 2 for me, and a sober one at that.

Started a new job on Monday managing a project for people with autism (my first time as a manager) and did not feel stressed even once. WHY? Because I'm now clear-headed, confident and sleeping properly after stopping the booze.

So far this weekend, I've rested (after being on the go since Monday), hit the gym hard and now about to leave for central London for a bang up Turkish meal (sans the booze).

Normally, I'd be sitting alone in the local pub about to pick up two bottles of wine and head home with them for an evening of TV, internet and lone-drinking.

Not to mention the mad night out with friends I would have had last night.

Feeling better and wishing all the SR'ers a positive and alcohol-free weekend.

Happy days folks...

See you next weekend.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Rogue!!!
Welcome to your 30's best decade for me yet!!!
Old 09-20-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Oh, darn. Got hammered again.

Note to self: Let folks hold their own nail.

Best I can do on the humor request.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

I took my daughter to my new favorite place...the wildlife rehab center. We walked all through the woods, watched the resident raptors get fed baby chicks (I know, yikes!) and helped a worker girl get a red tail hawks beak unstuck from a piece of leather strap. Tonight though...I'm terrified for. I have work. At the bar. There is going to be a band, free beer, etc. If I wasn't the manager of the kitchen and the only one working in the kitchen I would just stay home. I am feeling weak.