Notices

Class of August 2011

Old 08-07-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

I want to join the group! I was in July for a min but got caught up drinking again. Today's day 1, poored out all the booze. And going to give AA another shot and go to a meeting later today. I can't keep living the way I have been drinking. Going to give it 100% to keep sobriety this time.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Sorry for your slip Boozefree but glad you are going to a meeting.

I e-mailed my BIL today about going to a meeting with him. I'm scared but also happy to have finally gotten the nerve to reach out.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Welcome to all new Augustians

I havent been feeling well today, didnt have much activities and was trapped in the whurlpool of negative thoughts and feelings (I suppose it is expected for early sobriety), but the good book saved the day and I am going to bad sober...day 4 YEAH!!!

I send you my hugs and stay strong dear Augustians!
Old 08-07-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Its 3am and I still can't sleep, heck with it i said to myself. If i am trying so hard to sleep and i can't I just aint gonna... gonna do something productive yet quiet. Don't wanna wake up my parents.

Any ideas?? Right now i have formatting my laptop at the top of the list. Its as slow as a snail and been months since i formatted it! Hhm... i might just do that.. Till then guess i gotta be online on my phone.

Bye Augustians! Have a great day! Its officially day 7 but since i have not slept I'm still counting this as day 6..

Oh Oh... I forgot to mention, welcome to all the new Augustians! We sure are growing!

Last edited by Suresh; 08-07-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added content
Old 08-07-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Welcome to everyone new.

alaska: 2 shots is not bad, hang in there and go to the AA meeting

suresh: same here, yesterday finally had some sleep when it was already light at 4:30 am. Afraid of today.

Went for a walk in the evening to see the sea but luck having it - saw a suicide (?) jumper on the beach,from the high clif. Walked away quickly not to see the body and then the bodytakers (or whatever there name in english) guys where asking me for directions.
Yuck.

Anyway day 2 almost over and only had about 2 thoughts of having a drink.

Waiting for tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Welcome all to the August Group!
Good Luck stevie88, We'll be thinking about you.
Piotr: OMG that is crazy....that's an image I could never forget.

Well I took my daughter to the splash park, not much splashing went on as it was shut off. Grrr....both the sign at the park and the park's website stated water was turned on at 9am. We got there at about 9:15 and played on the equipment until about 10:15, then we had to leave. I was melting. So I brought her home and she played in her pool until almost lunch time. You'd think she'd be tired.....NOPE! She's in her crib, but she's not sleeping. Quiet time is what I'll call it. I need time for a shower!! Hope everyone is having a nice, dry day!
Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Congrats on the double digits, DG!

PFS - Glad you got through the day! I can't imagine it being around me all day long and not giving in. Those of you who have to do that.... amaze me. Very amazing.... that's inspiring in and of itself!

Piotr.... you already have the courage, just act on it

Amanda -- In my life, I figured I needed to start eating healthy and getting back on track physically again since my 6 week or so 'fall'... I started eating somewhat healthy the very first day.... but took almost a week to start exercising again. I was listening to my body and my body needed rest to recover... not more strain. That's my take on it anyway

Stevie -- You rock, too!

PH - Yeah, funny how much we can actually get done when we're not 'stuporfied'. Sometimes hard to figure out what to do, but other times, amazing that I get so much done now.... go figure!

Well, Alaska and BF -- Just get back up... it's taken me a few tries to get steady on my feet... hoping this one last for me too We're all in this together.

Hey MB - Hope you feel better soon.... you know I think it was around day 4 that I felt a little crappy too... take care of yourself.

Suresh.... Welcome to day 7 -- hope you get to sleep soon. How'd things go with the therapist -- or is that tomorrow?

Well, one week drawing to a close for me. Settling down for the rest of the evening - journaling for my therapy appointment tomorrow (been going for about 5 years and now drawing to a close)...

Have a safe and sober Sunday evening!
Old 08-07-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Yesterday was pretty tough but I made it, and am now on day 7!!! Sounds pretty awful but this is my longest streak in about a year. Today I feel good, and looking forward to the rest of my busy day (no days off on a ship, and days at sea like today are very busy!) leading into a relaxing night. Gonna paint my nails and watch a movie.

Stevie, like everyone here I've been following your posts and I admire your strength! It sounds like you are working hard and committed to your tapering down and eventually stopping your drinking. Great job! I am rooting for you over here!!

Suresh, hope your meeting with the therapist went well!

Michelle sorry you had a rough day, I hate being trapped in that negative whirpool thingy. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back BF and alaskasunshine

I hope it all goes well Stevie

D
Old 08-07-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

i tried. i failed. *sigh* i keep coming so close. how do i make that final leap and just do it????
Old 08-07-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried...and failed a lot AS. For years.

Looking back now I was trying the same thing over and over...I really needed to try some other methods and get some more support behind me.

Think about other ways to get and stay sober - think about the ways you haven;t tried - whether it's a recovery group, or counselling, or seeing a Dr, rehab....

If you can't beat the game as it is? change the game

You can do it

D
Old 08-07-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

I am learning that it is all about right now...if I think about what I was typically doing every Sunday afternoon past, I think about drinking. If I worry about the upcoming day or week and how tough this is going to be, I think about drinking.

I am trying to be in the moment and work through the urges, very frequent urges - reminding myself that I am strong and I want to be healthy and feel good again.

It worked for me today and I pray it works for me tomorrow.

Alaska, Stevie and everyone - I'm pullin' for ya!!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hi everyone! Today went pretty well for me. My hubby wasn't up for a lot of walking so I went out and about on my own and found a lovely path along a creek called Cedar Creek near where I live. It was nice to be alone with my thoughts because I didn't feel an overwhelming need to please anyone but myself. I also walked to the local county fair and had a great time just meandering about and not worry about anyone but me. I felt a little bad about ditching my hubby but in the end it was for the best. We're going to have a big weekend next week so this let me work out a lot of pent up energy without being a burden.

Funny...i'm so used to being selfish drunk but not selfish sober. I like this selfishness better!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:05 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Day 3

Found the courage and called therapy center and have an appointment for tomorrow. Now to just go to the afternoon AA meeting - which would be a first for me.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:15 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Good morning, Everyone! Can I post here?

I joined SR in March, after stopping drinking on March 11 when my doctor told me to. I made it about 90 days, and then decided that I could handle "one every once in a while". I think, since March 11, I've had a drink maybe a dozen times. Once I'd had that first one (and I did so well ... it really WAS just one), it was all I could think about -- just like quitting all over again. My plan went from not having any again ever, so why think about it?, to "since I can do this, will I have one tonight? How about now? How about in an hour?"

I know the "one day at a time" mentality works for so many, but it really doesn't work for me. When I stopped thinking of this as a forever decision and of me as 100% committed for the rest of my life, I realized there was no point in not having a drink today. So, as of July 31 I'm back on it 100%.

I bought a book that's got some really good stuff in it. It's called, "Now That You're Sober", and it's a year-long workbook of sorts. I also printed up calendars for the rest of the year, hung them on the inside of my walk-in closet with a pack of star stickers, and give myself a star for every day I go to bed alcohol-free. It's silly, but the visualization encourages me.

One of the things the author of that book writes about is this: While I'm off getting stronger in my sobriety, learning to do life in a new way and feeling confident about it, that little alcohol voice is NOT getting weaker. As he puts it, it's "off in the parking lot doing push-ups", ALSO getting stronger and preparing to strike when I least expect it. I can see from my own experience that this is definitely the case.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all! I look forward to walking this journey together with you.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Administrator

good decision - best of luck Piotr
Welcome PBC

D
Old 08-08-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Really4Real: well by the time I slept it was around 5ish, thats the last i saw the clock, i managed to get *some* sleep in the 7 hours i was tossing and turning in bed. Got up groggy and moody as h*ll.. I saw the counselor yesterday (sunday noon), but he's more like a guidance counselor. Was hoping to see the psychiatrist too but due to time constraints couldnt make it and i still am not sure when i can fix another appoinment. I'll keep trying other psychs too, as the person i initally intended to see is very busy and VERY expensive. my health insurance doesnt cover for things like this.

Want2BMe: The visit to the counselor was good. Really good!

Piotr: congrats on day3 and setting up the appoinment! Hope the AA meeting went well.

Originally Posted by PeanutButterCup View Post
I bought a book that's got some really good stuff in it. It's called, "Now That You're Sober", and it's a year-long workbook of sorts. I also printed up calendars for the rest of the year, hung them on the inside of my walk-in closet with a pack of star stickers, and give myself a star for every day I go to bed alcohol-free. It's silly, but the visualization encourages me.
Hi PBC! Welcome and may i ask the details of the book? Sounds interesting. And NO, its not silly at all!!!! Each one of us has their own way of keeping track of our sobriety, and mine is posting here on SR at my thread everyday as a means for me to keep track on the days and what has been happening. I'm sure the day will come and the calendar will be filled with stars!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:17 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Oh and i forgot to mention, day 7 and going strong. strike midnight and its a WEEK! YAY!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Happy Monday -- well, it CAN be anyway

Piotr... sorry I missed that last post about you seeing the guy jump... such a shame for the person and also had you had to see it. Tells me how fleeting like can be and how I want to make the most of every moment I'm alive to count for something... thanks for sharing that.

AS -- You can do this too.... just keep trying. Don't give up! Ever.

PFS -- How true about living in the moment.... gotta do that... one day at a time... one minute at a time sometimes. That's why I say on occasion that I'm staying sober, just for today (it will always be today when I say it)!!! Glad you're doing well.

DG... I love being out in nature... lots of parks around here - but now that I started running in the mornings don't frequent them as much. Much more safe in the daytime.... when it gets cooler outside I may do some after work runs just so I can get back on the trails a bit.

Suresh - I KNEW you had it in you HUGE CONGRATS on your 1 week ---- WAY TO GO!

PBC -- Now you have me hungry for a Reese's LOL. Welcome!! That's how I lost 8 months of sobriety -- 'oh, it's been long enough - I can handle a couple drinks'... yeah, right... NOT! On and off for about two months.... now back on strong for me! About the stickers... sounds like a fun thing to do -- nothing is silly as long as it works!

Day 8 today and actually feeling really good about it

Remember everyone - sobriety is possible for us too! Many have gone before us and paved the way - it's now up to us to walk it.... one step at a time.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Hello Augustinians!

I got through the weekend. Had a craving Friday when I got home from work but took a nap and beat it. Saturday was rough...had cravings all day long. Even went to an AA meeting but still wanted that wine. Not sure how...but I got through it and felt so good about it. Yesterday I had a lot going on that really kept alcohol as the furthest thing from my mind.

So here I am. Day 8. Feeling good except for the disaster of a haircut I'm dealing with (refer to the aforementioned "lot going on yesterday" that kept alcohol out of my mind).

Glad to see everyone checking in!