Notices

Class of August 2011

Old 08-06-2011, 03:03 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

BTW I reccomend lemon balm tea Melissa officinalis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it is naturall antidepresant and has great taste.

Yesterday I met a friend who kept insisted on going for a drink and I just said NO THANKS.
Today I am so happy for weaking up sober and having a full day schedule.

I think I will celebrate it with good cup of lemon balm tea
Old 08-06-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Tea sounds good MB -- only thing is I cannot drink it unless there is something on my stomach... but I like lemon tea. Earl Grey is my favorite though... and Sleepytime Welcome to Day 3!!

Thanks Dee for the Urge Surfing link. I glanced at it and it sounds good -- I still like looking at it in the store and saying 'I hate you' though - Probably because I really for real mean it

Sarah - how'd the race go??? Details... we need details

CoffeeS - Welcome to our group. We a lively bunch in here... You can do this too!

Suresh - A movie marathon sounds awesome.... I wanted to do that with my Rocky movies... oh well - too much to do - maybe next weekend!

DG - Congrats on 9 -- almost into the double digits... way to go!

I got my butt out of bed and ran/walked 15 miles this morning... time pretty much stunk, but not worried about that. It felt good for the most part... Now, while my darling husband is making breakfast (or brunch)... I will put border on a room... then it's off to the store to find shoes for him for work and finding me a good book. I think that will be about it for today

Let's all stay sober today.... it's entirely possible and I think highly probable
Old 08-06-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

R4R, the race went great! I enjoyed leaving the house before the family woke up. I felt really good and got a better time than the last race. I really have the bug now. It has been 10 years since I ran a marathon but I'm thinking I might put that out there as a goal...we'll see. It sounds like you are a distance runner? Are you training for a marathon?

I feel so much better without the wine. There is no turning back. Why would I choose misery?

Happy Saturday all!

Last edited by sarah1414; 08-06-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-06-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Well, I am ashamed to say I slipped up on Thursday night and Friday night. My husband brought home the nasty German and we convinced me that I could just do a few shots. I think he fears the thought of me quitting this habit, perhaps because he does not want to quit. Can I do this with his influence? I don't know. Good news is, It felt HORRIBLE...instant headache, stomach ache and oh, the guilt. After 4 days of absolutely no alcohol, it was a real shock to the system. I don't know my excuse for Friday - I think I told myself it might make the pains go away if i tried a few more shots. Nope - felt like crap. Today the German is out of the house, and I am feeling that I don't ever want to see the bottle again. I feel good today and will not drink. You all are awesome - such strength and determination. Keep it Up - you all are such an inspiration.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hey All!

It has been a hard but sober saturday for me but i've stayed sober nonetheless. And yes i've been rewarded. I just got to know a few hours earlier that my appoinment with the counselor has been pushed forward to tomorrow morning! Gotta go sleep now....... Have fun all of ya'll.. I sure am gonna sleep with a smile tonight. Will update how the session went once im back tomorrow. Bye!!

Michelebelle: I so want to try that tea but this is what really sucks here in malaysia. Almost all if not all of these herbal drinks and remedies are banned here, yet its so easy to get a prescription of say valium for example. ****** place to be. I so want valerium to help me sleep.

Really4Real: I had to cut short my movie marathon cuz i want a good sleep so im fresh when i see the counselor tomorrow!

PrayForStrength: Everybody slips. I cant count the number of times I did but just dont give up k! We all can do it!

Wish me luck all!

Last edited by Suresh; 08-06-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: added content
Old 08-06-2011, 09:46 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Was (and still am) a part of the July group. However, I never got it together during July so I'll jump in here too.

Had a great breakthrough finally. Last night my husband and I were talking about our relationship and how we need to work on things all the time and not get complacent. We have become distant and he wants us to work on things. So I finally got the nerve to enlist his support with me quitting. He knew that I have had an issue but somehow thought I was doing better. Guess I was hiding things better than before. So I told him that I'm drinking way too much and that I want to quit. I also mentioned either wanting to go to a counselor or a meeting.

He mentioned our BIL who not only is a counselor but he has been an AA member for 30 plus years and still goes weekly. I had thought of contacting him before but kept telling myself I needed to wait until I asked my husband if he would be ok with it. Seems like he's ok with it so I am going to e-mail my BIL and tell him that I'd like his help. At least to get to my first AA meeting. I've been to scared to go on my own. Now that I have my husbands support and OK it is scary to e-mail my BIL. Guess because he's family but if anyone should understand he should right?

So now I have finally reached out and am not trying to do this all alone. I told my husband that I don't want it to be his job to keep me from buying alcohol that it is my job. But I did tell him of some of the ways I was sneaking out to buy it so now I don't think I'll try to do it since I'll know for sure he'll know what I'm doing. I mean I was sneaking around to make sure he didn't know.

I still realize it's ME that needs to do this for myself and not rely on my husband to stop me. I have to do it and I think finally going to a meeting will be what I need. Also having my BIL there to help me get started will be a big step for me.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I, too, need to understand that this is my deal, not for my husband to sort out for me. I need to understand that no outside influence should have control over the decision about what I put into my body. Thanks cleareyes - all the best to you.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

R4R and Sarah, how long did it take you to work up to that kind of running? How often did you increase your distance? Granted I need to get back in shape but even when I thought I was doing pretty well I was done after 3 - 3.5 mi.

Suresh I'm sorry you can't get tea! Crazy that tea is banned yet valium is fine. Oh well...every country has their rules that make you go ?!?!??

As for me, I am on day 6, woo-hoo!! I really think this is the longest I have been sober at work since I began out here (been working on cruise ships for a few years, on vacation i would stop some days at a time but never out here!). I am excited to see my weekly charges bill because I'm sure it's going to be WAY lower! Right now when I feel weak, I tell myself that it would take a whole other six days to get to where I am right now! and for now anyway, that makes me not want to break the streak!

Hope everyone is still going strong. Thanks so much R4R and everyone on this thread! I really love to come in and read it, and it keeps me motivated to stay sober!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

Day 1 for me.

Managed to go for a walk, which felt good - but still shaking a lot.

Watched 3 parts of "Rain in the heart" - shocking. I should have seen this years ago.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Suresh View Post
Hey All!

Michelebelle: I so want to try that tea but this is what really sucks here in malaysia. Almost all if not all of these herbal drinks and remedies are banned here, yet its so easy to get a prescription of say valium for example. ****** place to be. I so want valerium to help me sleep.

Wish me luck all!
I wish you good night, dear Suresh. Try in stores that sell healthy food. It is a regular herbal teal, like chamomile or mint. It is just shown to be good (among other things) for balancing brain chemistry...
And yes I totaly understand how modern pharmaceuthical industry "rulles" the world.
My therapist didnt even have time to listen to me...it was the easiset way to put me on antidepresants.
And when I investigated a little bit about that, I was really scared about the long term effect.
Then I took advice from another person who is more into natural recources and learned that there are plenty of natural and healthy things that can help not only your body to recover, but also that balance biochemistry in your brain (just to stress that this is not advice not to listen to your therapists )
lot of fruits, vegetables, omega phaty acids, integral grains, cold pressed oils and little excercise can do a mirracle.
I just got back from a gym and it felt great...I neglected so many things that REALLY make me happy because I didnt have time for them while drinking.

@Piotr
Have a great day, or eveneing or night where ever you are my dear classmates!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Ok guys and gals,im still here,still trying to taper off as per docs advice,im still on course for just 8 beers today whereas a few days ago i was on 14,the real test is tomorow when i said im only going to have 4 beers,either way im still going cold turkey monday and then i have got an assessment at a clinic tuesday...Once again you folks are great and stay strong....
Old 08-06-2011, 02:23 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Glad you had a good race Sarah! Yeah, I'm more of a distance gal myself. Gotta drop about 15 pounds and work on getting my cardio back up. Had an injury to a tendon in May and had to stop for 7 weeks (of course, I started drinking, which totally didn't help)

W2B - Took a few months to work up to 13 in the Spring. Then I had an injury... trying to work back up again. Should check out the Kicking Asphalt thread for support on getting things back together with that. The rule of thumb is go up 10% on your long run each week.... but everyone is different! Cruise ships -- sounds like fun... but awfully tempting

Suresh -- Glad you get to see the therapist tomorrow!! Awesome that you'll be doing it sober

Welcome Piotr -- One day is equally as awesome!

CE - Glad to see you here too

PFS... Ok, you slipped.... up you go! Dirt's brushed off - determination is setting in... I can just see it!

MB -- Sounds like you had a pretty lousy therapist... sorry. There are some good ones out there... if you need one then I hope you'll keep looking.... thanks for being here!

Stevie -- You're sticking to the plan.... can't say anything bad about that!! Hope tomorrow goes well for you also

Excellent day for me.... got a lot done and now going to eat some chinese and settle down for the night. Great job everyone --- we did it.... again!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Good to see you all here again Today is day 2 for me and I am feeling pretty good. Went for a 20 mile bike ride with my husband. Tonight I am playing music for a festival here in town so I am excited I have something else to do besides want to drink!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Can I join the August class? I posted on the June class and maybe July. ugh I'm really hoping I can do it this time. Actually, I know I can do it this time as I have been doing it for 6 days now woohooo. My cravings always start around day 4 but I have been keeping busy and going to bed early to get my mind off of it. The alcoholic voice is in my head right now telling me that I deserve a drink tonight so I'm turning to SR to help me get through the night.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Iwantmeback
what you deserve is to do something good for yourself

welcome to you too Piotr

D
Old 08-06-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!
My name is Amanda, I want to join August, too. Today is day 2. I got back on the treadmill and I'm really hoping to clean up my eating, too. I've gained about 10 pounds in 3 months with all the drinking/eating I've been doing. That's coming off...STAT! I also want to feel good and be a better mother/wife.

Today I had a rough moment. I opened up my sock drawer and was looking for matching socks to run in, and I found an empty bottle of vodka stashed there. I was absolutely disgusted by it, then to make it worse - I checked it to see if there was any left to drink.
Luckily it was bone dry - otherwise, I don't think I would have dad the discipline to dump it! One day at at time....
Old 08-06-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Amanda
I'm glad it was dry too.

D
Old 08-06-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Welcome Amanda. I too want to be a better mother and wife. They deserve it and I do too. We are going to feel great waking up without at hangover tomorrow! ;-)
Old 08-06-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Want2beme, I usually add .5 -1 mile to each of my weekly long runs. The rest of the week I stick to 3-4 miles but maybe I'll get that up too now that I'm more motivated to be healthy.

Had such a great Saturday and I know it's partly due to the non-drinking lifestyle. I'm more present for my kids (not thinking about my wine escape later in the day), more happy about the small things, and have better energy. I've had a few thoughts about drinking but I quickly remind the addict voice that I don't drink anymore...period. It quiets down very quickly and leaves me alone. Be gone!!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Finished my 5th day. Now that I'm not drinking, I started working on my log cabin. Just tore up the rug from the steps going down to the basement. It was a disgusting job. Had to get them outta the house asap. It was all moldy, and combine that with the dog pee smell. It took me all day, and I'm still not finished. Of course, they had to cover the edges of the step with the carpet also. Will finish tomorrow.

Nice to see so many here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!