Notices

Class of August 2011

Old 08-04-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
Stevie, try keeping an honest log of how much you've had to drink. Try even assigning times for when you plan on drinking. Did anyone tell you when to drop a beer? Is your doctor having you check in at any time? I'm not trying to give medical advice but neither should AA or drinkline. Try looking into a drug and alcohol rehab facility where their only job is dealing with your situation and they have the medical knowledge and experience to deal with your situation. They will your respect your emotional needs as well as your physical ones.
Hey friend,the doctor didnt seem to know what she was talking about to be honest,she told me to carry on drinking until i get assessed by someone else next week,i will probably detox myself in that time...Thanks for the advice..
Old 08-04-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome EowynsElixure, PFS, LittleMissSober and Sarah

D
Old 08-04-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stevie
Personally, I think you need a second opinion.

I wish I had some local knowledge for you but there are some links down the bottom of the first post here for the UK:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

D
Old 08-04-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Welcome Duke! Day 1, it is! And a wonderful day!

Well, let's put it to a vote.... Augustites or Augustians? Voting booths will close this time tomorrow

Stevie -- we not allowed to give medical type advice here -- so please consider what Dee said -- he's the SR Guru.

I know I couldn't have quit by tapering.... tried... no dice. But it depends on how much a person drinks and factors that only a doctor who has seen you could tell. The alternative is to listen to that doctor - we'll still be here either way.

Hooped -- I hear your pain.... today day 4 for me -- after work helped a friend paint a room -- really tired on way home - told my hubby a beer sure would sound nice ......uhhhhhhhhhh NOT!!!! I was just way tired - not craving alcohol.... and need to go get some sleep!

Have a wonderful night or day to you all.... Keep Sober -- IT'S SO WORTH IT.....
Old 08-04-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

R4R...I'm glad you can curb those hunger pangs...I had like half a box of Wheat Thins this morning lol! I'm a little disappointed in that I thought I would be more eager to get back in the gym (I go on and off but have been off for a few weeks) but for now I don't seem to have the motivation. :-(

I had the devil on my shoulder this afternoon...as I was walking down the street I walked past a liquor store/bar and thought "Oh wouldn't it be nice to pick up some good beer?" Ahhh! I looked down and kept on walking, thank goodness!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:57 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Good evening Augustos. An unplanned day one today for me. Woke up planning to not smoke, and decided along the way to not drink as well. And feel great about it. Started SmartRecovery a couple months ago, and have appt with a CBT counselor in a week. Taking a different approach this time, and am ready and optimistic. It's already a relief. Lots of interesting stuff happening in the world right now, including my own world. Being aware of it will be a positive experience. Glad to see the optimism and support on this thread.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi Lofty, Welcome to the August class. I remember from another class. Best wishes this time. You can do this. It sounds like you have a good plan.

W2BMe, good job saying no to the addicted voice!

To all other August members; so glad your here. We have nothing positive to gain from alcohol so let's put the addiction to death.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:47 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi all!!

I see all are somehow coping! And so am I! Its my 4th day and boy am I proud!! I know its nothing much but its something for me!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you Lofty

D
Old 08-05-2011, 12:52 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Last time around in June I made 14 days and I don't know why I relapsed. It's very hard to explain?

I can understand now why Dee74 says that you might need to get more help with staying sober because it's certainly not easy to do at all.

One thing I do feel though is that relapsing is nothing to be ashamed of and in my case I feel it's made me come back stronger than ever.

I've never been very religious but this time around I've started praying before I go to sleep for the Lord to keep me sober the next day. I find it helps.

Day 8 and I'm happy to be here.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:10 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good to have you here kopfan....
Old 08-05-2011, 02:27 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Day 2

Hugs to all

MB
Old 08-05-2011, 04:03 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Happy Weekend Eve --- better known as Friday!!!

Want2 - Don't worry about the lack of motivation to workout yet.... our bodies are still recuperating from the hell we've put it through. I was training for a marathon (before getting injured in May -- which contributed to my relapse). I tried to get something going with running for about 4 weeks now, but the drinking caved it in.... now, I'm resigned to run/walking it... but it still means I have to start getting my butt up out of bed starting tomorrow morning. I gave myself a week to let my body dry out and rest.... guess what I'm saying is go easy on yourself - for now

Welcome LI -- Like your signature... one of my favorites and sooooooo true.... Very commendable to quit both the same time. I quit smoking over 4 years ago -- obviously still had the alcohol demon on my back off and on though. Wish you the best on doing both at the same time!

Yeah Sarah - Death To Alcohol!

Suresh -- 4 Days being nothing????? Come on, it's 4 days that you've beat the addiction!!! By the way, we're only on day 5 of August.... so 4 days is a lot so far this month

KF - Congrats on day 8!!! We don't want relapse to happen, but if it does, we just get back up.... and try again. My thoughts on praying: I don't think we have to be religious to have a relationship with God, I know I have a God that I can talk to if I choose to and He'll listen and I know it helps me always - when I don't get a bug up my butt and choose to do what I want to anyway Which is usually why I relaspse.... huh...

Welcome to Day 2 MB!

Day 5 for me...... I turn a deaf ear to alcohol today. I will not listen to it. I will not give in to it's lies of false comfort or relaxation - all it does is eat away at my brain and my time and my life. I'm taking all of those back.
How about you guys??? We in this today together???

There is no doubt no matter how many times we've fallen that we can get back up and beat this thing -- makes my want to drag my Rocky movies out and watch them this weekend.

For those over the pond and going into the afternoon/evening - be strong! You can do this! Do what it takes... call someone.... stay on here.... remember what brought you to SR -- why you want to quit.... step away from the alcohol aisle - or my favorite - if you have to go to the store is looking at the aisle and saying, 'I hate you' - makes me feel good

Have a good sober day all!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:07 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back kopfan

D
Old 08-05-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I am experiencing a lot of what everyone here is talking about...insomnia, hunger, etc.

Yesterday I fought a nasty craving at my witching hour--5 pm. I didn't think I was gonna make it but I did, somehow. It's strange how that voice is so convincing and you don't think you can ever get past it. But then after battling for however long suddenly it's gone and you don't want to take that drink anymore. I finally slept last night and woke up feeling really great today that I did not give in!

I also woke up STARVING!! It dawned on me that my body isn't getting the 900+ calories of wine at night so of course it needs FOOD! I am hoping to drop some extra pounds put on by drinking but if this hunger doesn't stop I don't know if I will.

Anyhow, Day 5 for me!

This will be my first weekend sober in a VERY LONG TIME. Anyone have suggestions how to get through it? Let's be real...at 5 pm on a Friday...HOW DO YOU KILL THAT VOICE IN YOUR HEAD?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

R4R--I have the Rocky soundtrack playing in my head! LOL

Also, you're in my back yard!
Old 08-05-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

all of you are doing so great!!!!

super big hugs!!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michelebelle View Post
Day 2

Hugs to all

MB
Congrats!!!!

Originally Posted by kopfan View Post
Last time around in June I made 14 days and I don't know why I relapsed. It's very hard to explain?

I can understand now why Dee74 says that you might need to get more help with staying sober because it's certainly not easy to do at all.

One thing I do feel though is that relapsing is nothing to be ashamed of and in my case I feel it's made me come back stronger than ever.

I've never been very religious but this time around I've started praying before I go to sleep for the Lord to keep me sober the next day. I find it helps.

Day 8 and I'm happy to be here.
Kopfan, it sure is nice to have you here and lets fight the demon away yes?

Originally Posted by Really4Real View Post
Suresh -- 4 Days being nothing????? Come on, it's 4 days that you've beat the addiction!!! By the way, we're only on day 5 of August.... so 4 days is a lot so far this month
Thanks for the encouragement!

Originally Posted by SindyLuhu View Post
I am experiencing a lot of what everyone here is talking about...insomnia, hunger, etc.

Yesterday I fought a nasty craving at my witching hour--5 pm. I didn't think I was gonna make it but I did, somehow. It's strange how that voice is so convincing and you don't think you can ever get past it. But then after battling for however long suddenly it's gone and you don't want to take that drink anymore. I finally slept last night and woke up feeling really great today that I did not give in!

I also woke up STARVING!! It dawned on me that my body isn't getting the 900+ calories of wine at night so of course it needs FOOD! I am hoping to drop some extra pounds put on by drinking but if this hunger doesn't stop I don't know if I will.

Anyhow, Day 5 for me!

This will be my first weekend sober in a VERY LONG TIME. Anyone have suggestions how to get through it? Let's be real...at 5 pm on a Friday...HOW DO YOU KILL THAT VOICE IN YOUR HEAD?
Hi Sindy!

My suggestions is keep yourself busy with something else, talk to someone, and keep on posting here. Post all you want, no one person will come up and tell you to stop posting. SR is an ongoing lifesaver for me and for a lot of us im sure!

When i have the craving i just eat something, but i try to make sure its something healthy and just not a greasy burger or finishing up a bucket of ice cream :P Our body is craving for gooooood food!

You can do it!

Originally Posted by rae123 View Post
all of you are doing so great!!!!

super big hugs!!

Hey all!

The day is starting to come to an end for me here. Time for bed soon. Even though im pretty sure the nightsweats and vivid dreams are part of the package, I cant wait for tomorrow to come as its day 5 for me and my 1st saturday sober!!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:51 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Onward to day 4 for me. I slept about 7 hours last night, so I'm feeling pretty good. I also lost about 5 lbs because of this, and that's feeling even better. I didn't want to buy a new wardrobe, and now I am starting to get into my old clothes and they are not feeling uncomfortably snug anymore. I've been wearing sweat clothes this summer, now I can wear my old summer clothes. Added incentive to continue on. Also, I'm so glad that I returned to healthier foods.

Now, just to prepare for the weekend.

We can do this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I'm on day 5 today and I know it's not much but I'm proud of myself!! I woke up feeling pretty good and noticing that I didn't wake up at all in the middle of the night like I usually do when I drink.

I am starting to feel a little bit bored. I didn't go to the bar last night (of course) but I wonder what am I going to do with all this time now? How am I going to socialize? Guess I need to find a hobby!