Notices

Class of August 2011

Old 08-05-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

SL - What to do with the 5pm Friday Voice.... HATE IT! That's what I do - I literally will say 'you're not my friend and I hate you'... over and over if I have to. I hate what it does to me - it sucks the life right out of us under the pretense of making us feel 'good'. Such a freaking liar!!! Backyard.... cool!
And yeah, all the calories we consumed somehow makes us ravenous monsters when we quit.... this too shall pass
Old 08-05-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

The weekend is just two more days.... take walks - go to a meeting if you do that - get together with those non-drinking friends that you never wanted to be around because they didn't drink Do something you haven't done for awhile -- sober. Take a couple steps into your new life.... The weekend can be exciting - not dreadful. Attitude.... and yeah, I'm talking to myself also
Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I am only on day 2 but keeping busy is important, I have a honeydo list a mile long so hopefully that will keep me busy.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I am with you Duke10.

R4R...I have found it helpful to just change my patterns. Who says any one time is better than another for anything? Society? I haven't lived within societal norms most of my life, so why would I now? Absorb a good book or a movie, or do something of interest that you'd never have thought of on a "prior" Friday night. You'll probably have more fun doing it than going out partying, and I guarantee you'll thank yourself on Saturday.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, I am on day 1 again. It's good to read through this thread and realize I am not alone today. Thanks

I have a super headache but I will get through it. I am lucky to work part time and have a few hours to nap and read this afternoon. Tonight, instead of going out partying like I used to, I am going on a long bike ride with my husband. I'm making sure to drink lots of water today too.

I am very very very tired of being hungover. I can't live out the rest of my life hungover, that sounds like hell on earth.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Welcome back Ginger
Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Ok so upon my docs advice to taper down(which i think is rubbish)..Last night i only drank 10 instead of 14,today im on beer 8 already.I told my wife that tomorow i will drink only 8,then sunday 4..I dont know if this will work and if it doesnt im gonna go cold turkey monday...im not happy with this situation and im not happy with the doc....either way guys you lot are fantastic...
Old 08-05-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Perfect picture of hell, GingerTea -- perpetually hung-over.... that would be terrible.... way, way terrible. Glad you're joining us... welcome!

I agree LI -- changing patterns in our lives. Doing thing differently.... learning to cope differently... learning to have fun differently.
Change is hard, but in the end -- it will be so very worth it to be able to live free from addiction.

Stevie - do what it takes... if that's what your plan is, then so be it. You'll always have support here. By the way, I used to drink that heavy also nightly - back in October when I quit the first time here... I did cut back before I stopped completely... so it's possible. You've set the date.

I'll try to check back later tonight... have a bunch of things to do this evening (minus the poisonous substance) -- Keep strong, my fellow Augustites. We can do this! For today!
Old 08-05-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Stevie, if you drink that heavily cold turkey can be dangerous to you body. VERY dangerous from what I have read. Do like your doctor says and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by SindyLuhu View Post
Anyhow, Day 5 for me!

This will be my first weekend sober in a VERY LONG TIME. Anyone have suggestions how to get through it? Let's be real...at 5 pm on a Friday...HOW DO YOU KILL THAT VOICE IN YOUR HEAD?
Originally Posted by Really4Real View Post
SL - What to do with the 5pm Friday Voice.... HATE IT!
Well I'm late to this but I figure you guys made it

two things helped me - my apologies to anyone who's heard this before -

It was a revelation to me that I didn't have to act on my cravings or do what that little voice told me to do.....

The technique of 'urge surfing' was quite useful to me

Overcoming Life's Obstacles: Urge Surfing to beat addictions and cravings

and 'playing the tape through to the end' helped too.

It's really easy to imagine ourselves enjoying a drink and having a good time...

but force yourself to play that tape through to the very end - also remember the times you've hurt yourself, been sick, or embarrassed yourself, or hurt others, let people down, not being able to fulfill responsibilities....

When the voice starts...refocus...remember your commitment....if I could do it, you guys can too

and stevie - whatever you decide to do...if you feel ill or at all concerned, call 999 or get to the ER mate. Don't fool around with it.

Welcome back Ginger

D
Old 08-05-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Getting ready for bed soon. Yes, on a Friday night. I have an early race tomorrow so I want to be well rested. Had a lovely day with my children...they wore me out! When I told my husband I needed a nap, he thought I said a glass. "Did you just say you needed a glass?" (glass of wine) "No" I told him. "I don't drink anymore." That felt good and freeing.

Stevie, Best wishes as you taper. I hope it works for you.

Have a great weekend all and let's report back on Monday that we didn't drink.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hii all, count me in! I'm coffee. Alcoholic. Trying to figure it all out!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:29 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Welcome coffee!!

........ and its another sober day today *****! my 5th day and my 1st saturday! its gonna be a movie marathon for me today to keep me busy

what are your guys plans for today?
Old 08-06-2011, 12:33 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Day 8 here (well, technically Day 9 now). Feeling great! I did laundry, cleaned part of my room, cooked and played tactical laser tag for an hour and a half. I missed out last time because I was smashed. My knees are bruised, my ankle's sore, my back aches and i've never felt better. Let's see what tomorrow holds everyone!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:37 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm planning to continue my major cleaning spree in my room and a big grocery shopping trip. We may go hike if we're not tuckered out or at least get on the exercise bike. Nothing major but better than what I used to do.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome coffeespoons

D
Old 08-06-2011, 01:01 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Mmmm...coffee is always welcome here! ^_^
Old 08-06-2011, 01:43 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hhm... it seems all are keeping busy today. Thats so NICE to hear!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Hey! Glad you're making the best of the situation, Stevie. It's a rough road but you're really making progress. Keep on keepin' on!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:39 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Duke10 View Post
I am only on day 2 but keeping busy is important, I have a honeydo list a mile long so hopefully that will keep me busy.
Thats my plan too for day 3

Cleaning house than swimming, preparing healthy meal, eating it, gym in the evening, shower and good relaxing book or a movie.

Just to say hellow to my classmates