Notices

Class of August 2011

Old 08-10-2011, 04:25 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

piotr,
Thank you for the advice. I do realize that one drink leads to another and another and another. I haven't had a drink since Sunday and no cravings. I really thought about what I was doing on Sunday, instead of blindly running out and bringing home two or three bottles of wine. That would have most likely lead to a binge...than the horrible withdrawl. I plan on staying sober and with the help of all of you on SR, it is getting easier. Thank you everyone!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:38 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Good morning everyone! Working on lucky Day 13 here. I think i'm going to go to the zoo and meet my husband for lunch. Mostly looking for anything to keep myself occupied for the day. I made a yummy dinner last night and slept well so I feel fortified for today. Let's have a good one today, my friends!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Welcome Guru! You'll definitely have a lot of support on SR!

Aida... Glad you didn't cave in all the way, and glad you're being careful now. It's thoughts like those that got me in trouble. I got to thinking that maybe I'm ok now and maybe I'm not as bad as I thought I was (forgetting the fact that my liver 'region' actually started aching near the end of my binge or forgetting the fact that all I ever thought about was what time I could start drinking after work or after getting something done or whatever). Maybe's will get us in trouble every time if we listen too long. If I did what you did, even though it was only a couple one day... I'd be back drinking now... nothing about willpower to me... it's about the power of addiction and finding other more healthy ways to deal with life situations.

Piotr... thanks for the good words

Glad you're still doing good DG.

To everyone who has made it through so far - a BIG congrats
AWESOME JOB! We're winners in this. This IS life! The good, the bad, the ugly - and we can deal with life without alcohol - becasue we ARE doing it!!! Excellent!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

ALRIGHT, CE!! Day 2 is conquerable
Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Anyone else dealing with multiple addictions? I'm okay admitting that i'm an alcoholic but (*deep breath*) coming clean about my eating disorder is actually worse. I feel like when I start going sober, my ED (bulimia) rages full force. I'm not sure if I should tackle both demons at once or tackle one at a time. I'm looking for a therapist but due to my multiple issues i'm pretty limited. The place I really want to go to is at least an hour drive away and not feasible during the winter. Last place I went to burned me pretty hard. I tried to get with a therapist a month or so ago and I was left alone in the waiting room for almost an hour. I know I need help but it's damn frustrating.

Sorry for unloading. This is the only place I can get this mess off my chest and not feel to guilty.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Administrator

the only multiple addictions I had were pot, drink and cigarettes - they were all intertwined for me and I gave all those up at once dG.

That way worked for me, but I know for many others doing that can actually increase the risk of relapse on one or more fronts.

I really encourage you to keep looking for the right therapist - I know it can be discouraging and sometimes damned inconvenient but I really think sometimes we need that professional, outside perspective.

It's just a case of finding the right person

D
Old 08-10-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Many thanks, Dee. I know it's the same advice I would give someone else. It's frustrating looking for help and not finding the right match but i'm starting to treat this like a lifelong relationship. Screw the drive, I think i'm going back to the place that helped me the most. I like being in the city anyways!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Hello everyone... I can't seem to get any real time together. Going to keep trying, on Day 2 here. Going to keep reading and actually posting, since I am usually a wallflower and that hasn't gotten me anywhere. Always seem to falter around day 5 or 6. This is something I really want, but I know it's going to take a lot of hard work.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Good morning and good job to all of you! I love reading all of your posts. I don't have a whole lot of "new" to add but I do like checking in and reporting to my class that I have remained free from the alcohol. I can honestly say, I will not go back. I will not drink that drink which will take me back to my tired, lazy, mostly sad or angry state of being.

It is a beautiful day here in the midwest; 70 something and sunshine today. It makes me look forward to fall. O.K. were still in Augus but I'll take days like these anytime. I'm going to go for a run tonight while my husband and kids picnic at the park.

Have a great day all and stay sober...you will never regret that decision.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

hello I'm a Newbie and I earlier found a post from someone who was anxious about not sleeping and all the negative thoughts that go through her head in the middle of the night.I experience that a lot even sober .So my doc fixed me up with slight non addictive medication .I used to feel like the wolves were at my door in the middle of the night when I was so tired also the effects my drinking had been on my life and family .I'm trying and this morning asked my husband to try with me ,he says yes we;ll give it a go.Next weekend a nice restaurant and a walk on the beach I.mt hinking of you please sen your strength to me
Old 08-10-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
Anyone else dealing with multiple addictions? I'm okay admitting that i'm an alcoholic but (*deep breath*) coming clean about my eating disorder is actually worse. I feel like when I start going sober, my ED (bulimia) rages full force. I'm not sure if I should tackle both demons at once or tackle one at a time. I'm looking for a therapist but due to my multiple issues i'm pretty limited. The place I really want to go to is at least an hour drive away and not feasible during the winter. Last place I went to burned me pretty hard. I tried to get with a therapist a month or so ago and I was left alone in the waiting room for almost an hour. I know I need help but it's damn frustrating.

Sorry for unloading. This is the only place I can get this mess off my chest and not feel to guilty.

My addictions are vast and varied. If I find a tshirt that fits me exactly the way I like it, I will buy the tshirt in every color they make. Same with shoes. And sweaters.

If I find yogurt and granola fills me up at lunch, I will eat it everyday until I can't stand eating it anymore.

Last year I started painting with watercolors...so everytime I see a set of watercolor paints and/or brushes, I buy them.

Weird stuff like that. The only thing it's hurting is my wallet.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Hello All!! Day 5 and zero cravings and the voice is now but a feeble squeak. I went to my Doc yesterday and told her the truth about my quitting drinking. She is having me come back in next week for a complete blood work up to check on my liver and kidneys (among other things) - she also told me to continue taking my vitamins, especially the B complex - she says that will give me energy, which it has.

My new thing is shirley temples after work. Sounds ridiculous, but I look forward to coming home and making my "cocktail"...I only have one each night and man...is it delicious.

Welcome to Guru, Primrose and hml - wishing you all success.

R4R - My liver, I was convinced, began hurting too!

Aidadeb - Keep on keepin' on!!

Sarah - I am sure my heart and mind have finally aligned, I can say for sure that I won't go back to my old ways either. What a load of my shoulders!! Congrats to you.

Sindy - Rock on!!

To all the rest of you awesome people...Today is another opportunity to make the right decisions. Here's hoping you all have a wonderful and sober Wednesday. Thank you all for your honesty and your support.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

P4S--Thanks for your support!

Another refreshing cocktail to try is ginger ale, cranberry juice and a slice of lime. Great on a hot day!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:13 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Sindy - I sooo can relate to you. I am exactly the same way. It made me laugh out loud about the clothing thing!!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

DG - I used to have trouble with that also.... for me, it was a control thing. I wanted to feel like I was in control of something. Kind of weird in a way, because when I was drinking I wasn't in control, but somehow my brain thought that since I was doing what I wanted to do then I was in control. Anyway, hope you find a good therapist to help you sort things out.

PR! Glad you're not lurking anymore and that you've decided to take another step towards recovery!!

Yeah, Sarah - beautiful day out today! Aren't you glad we can enjoy it (relatively speaking, since I'm at work)...

SL - No OCD there The 'cocktail' sounds good, I may try that this weekend... thanks!

HML -- Welcome!! Glad you reached out and posted! Also, glad your husband is supportive... that's a nice thing to have. Just remember.... alcohol is not your friend, but a very deceptive enemy. You can do this!! I believe it!

I take B Complex too, PFS.... not sure how much energy it gives me... but then again, maybe I should take one in the afternoon also.... hmmmmmmm. What's a shirley temple? I could look it up, but that wouldn't make good conversation

Not sure if I said this this morning.... but it's day 10 for me. Can't really say, I'm enjoying it, but I know it's right to be sober -- and I know there's mega-emotions inside all clamoring for attention. So it's not that I really want to drink, it's that I want to numb out. But then again, I want to get through the stuff.... and get on with my life. Such a Catch 22.... I'll stay sober, thank you
Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Day 4, and starting to get some wits about me. I can almost feel my mind starting to make a little sense.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

R4R - A shirley temple is 7-up with grenadine (pomegranate juice) over ice. I also add a lemon or lime slice. I will try Sindy's suggestion for the cranberry drink too! All the best!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

hello I am abrand new member.I would love to quit and can imagine myself in lots of social settings refusing a drink.this morning I went shopping and suddenly here I am thinking what I will do if I go back to my yearly visit with family and don't drink or if I go for fish and chips on Friday and don't drink?Its like my brain is setting up these barriers already I just need to get past this weekend please some advice ?
Old 08-10-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Sarah I like the way you put it. I like 'reporting in' to the class also! Today is day 10 for me - yay for double digits! Like R4R said it's not been all sunshine and rainbows but I know I am doing the right thing, and I have yet to wake up in the morning feeling bad about NOT drinking last night. When people offer me drinks I tell them I am on a detox diet.

Finally got my butt to the gym, ran 3 miles and did some ab work. I am happily sore today.

Sindy - I am the same way when it comes to food. I have been eating pita chips and roasted garlic hummus for every snacking craving for the last 3 days!

Anyway, have a great day everyone and keep working at it! We can all do this!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Day 5 coming to an end.

I feel tired due to lack of sleep - couldn't fall asleep during daytime as well - at least i rested for an hour.

On the positive - went to another AA meeting - not a very good one - there were few people and it was held in a very informal way and it was very cold in a sub-ground level room. Afterwards called my 17 year old son, who lives nearby and we went for some cake and coffee which was very nice.

Hoping for some sound sleep. Take care everyone.