Notices

The 4 week positivity challenge-Join if you wish

Old 10-09-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

I have a job Monday. I can't believe the support from people, people who have every right to shun me forever. I am so grateful right now.....
Old 10-09-2009, 07:03 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

And, Fubarcdn, I am soooo appreciative of this thread you started.

THANK YOU.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:48 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Resident

I am glad some of you are getting as much out of this as I am. I started to feel sorry for my friend until I saw that he did not feel sorry for himself.
I am so glad that you had a date Gypsy. You deserve good things. Let us know how it goes; at least the positive parts.
Week 4 Day 1
Doing these little challenges has made me realize that I am successful in my quests because of definition and dedication and discipline. The intelligence to define the results I want and the time frame to get them and the discipline and dedication to carry them out even when the going gets tough.
In this challenge like in the 16 week fitness challenge I see a lot of people start out with enthusiasm and then quit after it gets a little uncomfortable or boring and the ones that stick with it end up getting more out of it than they expected even though there were times when they wanted to quit.
This is true for me also so for today I am glad that I can design exercises to improve myself and have the dedication and discipline to finish them even when they appear to not be getting me to where I want to go.
My experience with quitting drinking is quite similar actually. Sometimes I want to drink because I think that not drinking is not improving my life but I have to have faith in the original plan to stop and the discipline and faith in the plan to keep at it and for that reason I will not drink.
I have that discipline to take that leap of faith knowing it will pay off in the long run.
Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I agree Fubar....sometimes I think that as a society now, it's easy to let things go....to make excuses...to not follow through. I don't know.

I just know how much more easier my life is, now. No more sobbing that I want to quit. No more constant sinus infections (I just read that alcohol makes them worse....Imagine That! ) No more wondering what in the hell I did the night before.

Living a life that is manageable to me. Just makes it worth it.

Last night I was trying to remember a time when I was drinking when I was having a glorious time and I said to myself, "I sure like being a drunk". I don't remember that, but I do remember the endless sobbing....to quit.

Thanks for this thread.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

I was so glad to see this post, hope I can join late!

Woke up feeling rested, not exhausted from alcohol induced sleep problems. Feeling great and happy to be connecting on SR for support.

julie
Old 10-10-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I hope I can join late too. Seven says sober, and feelin' great. I used to live for weekends so I could get drunk, now I look forward to getting things accomplished.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

I am having a great day! I went to the library last week and am reading things about keeping a good positive attitude and find it very nourishing. Have had a great phone chat with a friend and my sis...and, oops on the fitness and sweets thing...but the concert I was dieting for is over...but have lots of chocolate LOL
Old 10-10-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm still reflecting on the old me. Today it had to do with getting ready for company. I'd get up (late of course) still hungover from the night before, & have my "hair of the dog". Then I'd rush around, trying to clean & do everything in just a couple hours. I'd start dinner late & find the recipe I was trying to follow so baffling - drinking the whole time I was cooking - I'd barely have time to get dressed. Being half tanked by the time guests arrived, part way through the night I'd be all slurry and not remember anything that was discussed. What a horrible way to live - but I am not that woman anymore. I am calm, reasonable, energetic, organized, all the things that crazy broad wasn't.:crazy
Old 10-10-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hevyn, at least you had company....I couldn't because it interrupted my volume of drinking. Heaven forbid a guest stay late and I couldn't get drunk until 8!
Old 10-10-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Coffee, I did reach that stage later on. I couldn't get up the interest or energy to invite people over in the end. I'm so glad we're the new & improved us.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Resident

Good morning.
Anyone can feel free to join anytime and leave anytime but I think that if you do the 4 weeks you will get more out of it as it becomes a habit.
Week 4 Day 2
I am glad that I judge myself by the person that I strive to be as opposed to the possessions that I have.
When I see others comparing themselves to other people based on what they have and how wealthy they are I do not envy them.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

I missed posting yesterday. We were celebrating my fella's son's 18th birthday. Seafood dinner and some time at the bookstore. It was a lovely day. Alcohol wasn't even thought of. I am developing quite a taste for flavored teas. Last night it was cranberry. Tart!

Today's positivity, old trigger time with no desire whatsoever!

Happy day to all!
Old 10-11-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Cinnamon rolls and homemade bread in the oven. So much better smelling that than old, stale beer.

So nice to have an entire weekend to have fun....and not just sit and drink. Happy end of the weekend, friends!
Old 10-11-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

It's all good stuff!
I've been out running the last 3 days. Finding it hard going but, wow, I felt really good when I got in today. Absolutely shattered but really positive!
Thanks all
Old 10-11-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Why did we think we were enhancing our lives with alcohol? As you've all pointed out, the smells, sights, sounds of real life - so much more wonderful than hiding in a dark bar or house, oblivious to all the things going on around us.

I'm so happy to be ending the weekend without the mother of all hangovers and dreading the coming week. I've enjoyed reading all your thoughts - have a great week everyone.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

You're right, hevyn. When you look at it like that it's complete madness that we drank! I'm only newly sober - again - but already I feel positive in speaking about it in the past tense. I've had enough of it! No more attempts at control drinking!!
There's so much to do, to enjoy and to be grateful for and yet...
Have a good week, folks :ghug2
Old 10-12-2009, 01:01 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

I guess its week four but you have to start somewhere, yes?

I am very grateful today for the love and support I got from a very old and dear friend who is also the first person I had the courage to tell I am an alcoholic. One down, many more scary moments to go. The world needs more people like him.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:47 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

..i found a new friend to-day..he has serious alcohol issues..
..i've set-up his computer to gain access to this 'sr' site..

..he now has a new friend,help and support.
.yes!..i'm damm positive about that...Oz..
Old 10-12-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Islander and good luck as you start your quest.
Week 4 Say 3
Yesterday was Thanksgiving here in Canada and we had a big family meal and most everyone was drinking. Not only did I not have a drink I had no desire to have a drink. Now that the desire to drink is gone I consider myself a non drinker. I am confident now that when I go on vacation next week to the all inclusive resort I will have no obsession with drinking but time will tell. If I don't have that ocsession then I will be free from those chains that bind.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's great news, Fub. I white knuckled it through the holidays my first year, now I'm feeling the same as you did when the special occasions roll around. I used to be all resentful, now I feel calm & somewhat superior when I don't drink.

(Have you seen the video Nogard posted on Whiner's? It's called "Canadian Please". )