Notices

The 4 week positivity challenge-Join if you wish

Old 09-29-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Day 9 – Very productive evening last night and positive exchanges with my wife and kids. No yelling. Trying to sell our home, so very stressful with showings out of the blue and quick cleaning. Work, freelancing, scouts, and marathon training all adds up to a busy Sept/Oct. I'm getting it done because I'M SOBER.

Heard someone else refer to a mutual acquaintance as a "dry-drunk." Obviously the person who said it doesn't know that I'm not drinking and isn't afraid to offend me with such a term – which I guess is a good thing. Anyone know what the "dry-drunk" implies? He seemed to be suggesting the guy was disorganized and didn't have his $%!# together, but the obvious implication would seem to be "once-a-drunk-always-a-drunk, sober or not."

I'm not going to let this bother me or hinder my sobriety, but I was just wondering if other people have heard the term. What do you make of it?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Freeport, not sure if this is what your mutual acquaintance meant, but a "dry-drunk" is typically someone who quit drinking but still harbors all the negative mindset and attributes of an active alcoholic.

Positive thought for the day: "Woke up this morning, feeling fine."
Old 09-29-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

Dry drunk

I don't think most people understand alcohol addition. We've got a bad name, and there are many who will never be able to see us past the label or respect us. I think that's one thing that sometimes keeps us from seeking help, keeps us in denial, that "A" word.

I slept like a baby last night, and I have a client (small one) about to give me a bit of work.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Just feel good today. Normal..Whatever that really is. Its nice to not be obsessed anymore.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Day 11:

Had another bad dream last night...this time Hannibal Lecter was after me.

It was very vivid...at least I don't remember much now.

I'm just happy this place is here and I'm gratefull for all of the people who make this place what it is. It's my day off and I'm going to chill.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Resident

Bam. I hope Hannibal wasn't chasing you with a bottle of Chianti and trying to tempt you to drink. I have heard that he likes to have it with fried liver. :sorry

Freeport A dry drunk is basically someone that has quit drinking but is not working an active program to do what is necessary to remove the obsession to drink. Personally I do not like the term or the term alcoholic for that matter. You are right that some people seem to have a need to think they are better than other people. I actually feel sorry for these types because by having to compare themselves with others they will never be free to be who they actually are.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Everyone's making such great observations, it's inspirational & helps me stay strong.

Fubar, what you said about going on holiday reminded me of one of my last horrible binges. My husband & I were invited on a trip as a thank you for his business. It was in Florida, lavish & no expense spared. I was in full blown alkie mode at the time but tried to taper off just before we left since I wanted to look human & have my wits about me. When we got off the plane we were met with a huge reception - anything we wanted to drink - when your glass was empty, someone came up and filled it. I did not refuse. I was off & running - blacked out on & off during what should have been a lovely trip. Don't remember anyone I was introduced to. I recently looked at the photos from that trip. There I am, sitting in the Hard Rock Cafe, glassy-eyed, bloated, white as a ghost. SO, just sayin' - this is my positive thought of the day: When I'm tempted on vacations or holidays, the bad memories are the ones I try to focus on, not the times long ago when I still had some control.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Resident

Week 2 Day 5
It is good that I am confident in my retirement plan and my wife will be able to retire on schedule despite all the money I spent at the bars. I am happy that I always made this a priority.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Day 10 – Great autumn evening last night. Assisted local Cub Scout den leader with a field trip at a local park focusing on forestry. Kids ran pretty crazy but I think they learned something about trees and forest fauna. Either way, it beat sitting in a cafeteria trying to maintain order with a PPT slideshow...

One of best things about sobriety is that I'm not thinking about getting home, getting kids to bed, and then knocking down several beers as my evening "release." I and my family just live. Booze isn't even on my mind.

Thanks for those who responded to my "dry drunk" question. Sounds like a little research on my part would have answered the query w/out bothering folks here.

Nonetheless, the term and its implication is upsetting. No, I haven't joined AA or any other program, but I resent a label like "dry-drunk" that places people (perhaps like me) in sober purgatory. I've invested a lot of effort and willpower to achieve 142 days of sobriety, and I'm happy for me. I occasionally am tempted by alcohol, but I don't consider myself a martyr nor do I harbor resentment at those who choose to drink. A few people who have demanded to know why I'm not drinking irritate me, but I ultimately figure to hell with them: I'm in a good place and I know it.

I don't know. Maybe dwelling on the term suggests it applies to me more than I care to admit...
Old 09-30-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Spent 4 hrs yesterday making a pic dvd for my grams. Thats alot of sorting through everyones pics, scanning and putting them back. Then editing and making the dang thing twice because one had music and the other didnt. But it was worth it. I am going to teak it today and make it more organized. Kinda last minute cause I needed for her bday dinner last night. But I did it and it kept me busy all day.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Day 3 of straight sobriety: Slept like a baby last night and woke up clearheaded and feeling great.

Positive thought for the day:

"People spend too much time thinking of the past. Whatever else it is, it's gone."
Old 09-30-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

My hair looks freaken fantastic today.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

I've made a great new friend through this site. I'm feeling good, starting to move in a positive direction, starting to exercise and take a bit more care of myself.

Freeport, just an idea. A friend of mine at a party once turned down a beer by saying "I'm allergic to it." There was no further discussion. I plan on using that.

Happy Wednesday all!
Old 09-30-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Today was such a beautiful day & I enjoyed it without alcohol crossing my mind at all. In the past, so much time was spent looking forward to my next drinking session. How could I have been so obsessed with it?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:57 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dogs got me up at 5:00am & I was reminded of all the times I'd reach for a drink first thing in the morning to stop the shakes. Today I put on the coffee & looked forward to seeing the sunrise. I never want to go back into that dark hole of misery - drapes drawn, hiding from life. I won't dwell on all that I missed, but look forward to all that's yet to come. Have a lovely day, my friends.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:30 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Resident

Sandy I have noticed a tremendous change in your outlook in the last few weeks and I am proud of you.
Hevyn. I think the longer we stay sober the more we realize that we did not really enjoy the drinking life anyways. You have been with me supporting me since my day 1 and again for that I thank you.
It is so good to see everyone posting here on a daily basis and making positivity a habit
Week 2 Day 6
I was listening to Through the Years by Kenny Rogers yesterday and it bought a tear to my eye. While drinking I did not feel good emotions often mostly only anger over the most trivial things like someone saying something I did not like. It is good to be able to feel those good emotions again as these are the feelings that make life worthwhile.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Day 11 – Awesome 5-miler last night. Likely my last run before marathon on Sunday. Cold air had low humidity and lots of O2. 143 day of sobriety
Old 10-01-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Day 4 of total sobriety - woke up again at 7AM feeling well rested and clearheaded.

Yesterday was a rough one; got the first estimate to fix some auto body damage (couple of nasty dents/scratches from getting sideswiped overnight last time I stayed in the city on the left side, nice scratch on the right due to a mistimed turn into my garage on my surprisingly sober behalf) to my car. Definitely will take me a while to pay off, but will be a lot easier with my savings on booze over the coming period. Just going to pay it out of pocket because the difference between the total and my deductible isn't that much. Truly just grateful I wasn't hurt and hope whoever nailed me is getting the help they need.

Typically in the past after getting similar news I would have stopped off on the drive back to pick up some self-medicating poison. Instead picked up some caffeine and logged into the Chat Meeting last night where I talked with some interesting folks for a while. There's a lot of really good people on this site...

Positive thought for the day:

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
- Robert Frost

Last edited by DonneIslanding; 10-01-2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: scratch from turning into garage
Old 10-01-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Well, I'm on my way

It's a beautiful morning here. I'm feeling good, getting things done much better and easier than before, and enjoying getting them done. Just happy.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Bam. I hope Hannibal wasn't chasing you with a bottle of Chianti and trying to tempt you to drink. I have heard that he likes to have it with fried liver. :sorry

He had something over his mouth...only over his mouth...it wasn't like the lower face mask he had to wear when he was bound...but it was representative of that. He never said anything. Just stared right through me. *brr*

Ah, skipped another day.

Day 12

Stayed positive at work. We were extremely busy and I didn't let it bother me. I did what I had to do.

Day 13

Six months sober today. Quit smoking in celebration.