Notices

Class of March 2020 Part 5

Old 06-18-2020, 04:51 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

My feelings are that we intrinsically know which traits or flaws get in our way and make us unhappy. And those are the things I try to change. That is what I work on. s ❤️
Old 06-18-2020, 02:08 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Night all - see you tomorrow
Old 06-18-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

I know what you guys all mean about therapy. It can be quite confronting to look at ourselves and our lives in depth.
I have another appointment booked for next week.
She wants to start talking about some specific childhood/teenage/family relationship stuff. And I know I need to go there because it’s past hurts and my reactions to them that have led to the way I’ve dealt with situations all my life (not at all healthy or constructively but with alcohol to push the emotions away and by running away from anything that’s “too hard”). Oh yeah, I have a huge tendency to run away or drown stuff in a bottle. So it’s going to be painful dredging up some of those past hurts, but it’s time I faced them again and deal with them so I can move on. Otherwise I don’t know if I’ll be able to maintain sobriety. When things get hard I need to face them rather than keep running away from them and drowning my feelings in a bottle.

Ah that’s a bit deep for 7.30am lol
It’s Friday morning and I’m off to get more coffee and get ready for work.
See you all later x
Old 06-19-2020, 12:54 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

I hear you willow. I'll give us all some encouragement! - every day we stay sober we ARE fronting up and dealing with stuff, we are NOT running away. It's a daily choice to deal with life as it is - whether that be low moods, missing our ex, having a wife want to leave you!, past trauma, problems with parents, stress at work, money problems etc etc

It's a daily grind, there's no magic formula. It's amazing on the newcomers page how often people giving up want a medication to take this away...I get that, I really do, but nothing can take reality away, which is what we've got to deal with day in day out. And the longer it goes the more that becomes out normal

I honestly don't know how I kept the show on the road during my drinking. I really did show remarkable tenacity, dishonesty, resourcefulness, physical strength and mental perseverance to keep going. I'm trying to use some of those to live my life sober

Old 06-19-2020, 12:37 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Quiet here today! - hope everyone is ok.

Night all/morning willow
Old 06-20-2020, 12:45 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Morning everyone hope your all well.

had my appt with my therapist yesterday and didn't get much out of it. Dont know if being over phone rather than face to face or maybe as it was just first one. Anyway will keep having them and see.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:55 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Morning Tink, morning all.

(I don't like over the phone appointments but maybes that's just me. I think a lot is lost in not being there in person)

Hope everyone has a great day
Old 06-20-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Yeah it felt like that Be, very impersonal plus the line wasn't good so didnt help. Might improve hopefully.
I dont know guess im still hoping for someone to wave a magic wand. When i stopped drinking i guess i hoped my 'higher power' would be so impressed with me my life would magically improve and all my wishes would come true. Unfortunately not how it works, im happier not drinking, look and feel better, have more money, dont send embarrassing letters etc. But i cant help wonder if the actual life i have will change or improve, have to just wait and see and hope i guess.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:39 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

That sounds to me like your life is improving a lot love. ❤️
Old 06-20-2020, 11:07 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Yes I know what you mean Tink. Just had another 'conversation' with my wife...things aren't improving at all. I don't know what I expected but I think deep down I did think she'd change her mind about me when I was sober. Naive perhaps. But I am SUPER glad I'm facing this sober, drunk it would be literally impossible

In fact I'm beginning to be a bit more lovingly firm, in that if she really wants to leave the relationship and cannot see any good in me or future in the relationship then why doesn't she just get on with it and leave! (I say 'lovingly' because I'm not that blunt and always explain I'd prefer that not to be the case.) But this is where therapy has helped me...if focusses on me and the way I operate but it also helped me be stronger and more assertive, without any hint of aggression or anger.

Crap really and now I've jumped all over your post Tink. Long story short - I empathise!!
Old 06-20-2020, 02:08 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Ahh Be im so sorry things are no better for your relationship. I think you are doing right thing in standing your ground and defending yourself more and like you say you are doing it in a kind way. I really don't think anyone could of tried harder or dealt with the situation in a better way than you have done.
It is hard as i suppose stopping drinking was such a big thing i hoped (also naive) it would just solve all my problems instantly. But life is improving and as a person im improving and like you say everything is easier sober. And i guess whatever life has in store when i venture back out into it, i'll be a better person and in a better place to handle it and embrace it. Same for you.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:51 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Tink and Be I think you’re both handling life’s situations so well, with real insight. Being sober really helps us to see things more clearly and deal with things more calmly and constructively ❤️

It’s 7.45am Sunday morning here, and the morning of the winter solstice. I took this about an hour ago

Old 06-20-2020, 03:25 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Willow that photo is amazing, hope you have a good day.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:00 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Thanks Tink I hope you have a lovely night xx
Old 06-20-2020, 11:27 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Another lovely picture willow, you've got a nack...maybe you could produce a calendar for SR with a photo for each month - I would buy it!

Fathers day today, my kids are doing tea for me and I'm seeing my parents, but first a run with my mate. (He's super fit, weights about 9 stone and runs 6 miles a day! He's going with me to be kind!!)

Funny and true story: I came second to him in our schools 800m race in 1996. When I say 'Second', there was about 200 yards between us
Old 06-21-2020, 01:23 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

It really is very quiet on here! - I hope everyone is doing well.

Ive been falling asleep very early and waking up super early, so much so today I had to sleep in the day. I think that should reset me for a bit.

Have a nice evening and see you tomorrow
Old 06-21-2020, 05:09 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 06-21-2020, 07:46 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Lol, Be I think it’s the iPhone that’s good at taking photos, not me
But I do like taking photos of nature ❤️
Old 06-22-2020, 12:21 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Don't be self depreciating! It's a good shot!

Morning all - nice bit of sun on my morning walk, youngest is at school today so I'm going to try to get plenty of work done
Old 06-22-2020, 01:10 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Morning all hope everyone is well. Another week of home schooling but at least weather here looks better so get some nice long walks in. 99 days today !! Everytime i have tried to stop drinking i always had the 100 day goal in mind. Never made it before, but now im nearly there i know without a doubt i don't want to drink but carry on a sober life.