# 261 (permalink)  

https://youtu.be/h9AqbDtSFNU

instant oatmeal made me think of this, lol
Old 06-09-2020, 05:27 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness that was intense Bil!

For some reason I thought grits were some kind of char grilled fatty bacon bits
I had no idea it was oats lol
Suze I love Uncle Toby’s, I’m going to stock up on milk, oats and bananas.
I’m working on my anti-AV toolbox that doesn’t include processed sugar...
I think sugar is too close to alcohol, unfortunately it hasn’t seemed to work as well as I’d thought.
And Dee, as always, you were right, the nonalcoholic wine led to real wine
Gotta ditch that too.

Bring on the porridge
Old 06-09-2020, 06:04 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Willow, My Cousin Vinnie is actually a really good comedy. I’m not sure if you noticed but the judge in the scene is the guy who played Herman Munster. Well worth the watch if you haven’t seen it already.

I have tried non alcohol drinks in the past and realized I don’t like the taste of beer and wine well enough to buy it. I have even seen non alcohol spirits as well. That would be a one way ticket for me looking for the real thing. I drink a of flavored seltzer’s nowadays and actually enjoy the taste.

Complex carbs unlike the simple ones are probably the way to go. I never ate sweets when I drank so now I have to limit myself.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:50 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Morning all, hope you are all well. It is nice to have you back willow!

Not much planned for the day, will try and read for a bit at some point
Old 06-10-2020, 02:02 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bilr44 View Post
Willow, My Cousin Vinnie is actually a really good comedy. I’m not sure if you noticed but the judge in the scene is the guy who played Herman Munster. Well worth the watch if you haven’t seen it already.

I have tried non alcohol drinks in the past and realized I don’t like the taste of beer and wine well enough to buy it. I have even seen non alcohol spirits as well. That would be a one way ticket for me looking for the real thing. I drink a of flavored seltzer’s nowadays and actually enjoy the taste.

Complex carbs unlike the simple ones are probably the way to go. I never ate sweets when I drank so now I have to limit myself.
Same, I tried the non alcoholic wine, low alcohol wine and I just couldn't get on board with it - no alcohol - no point. I think there is still a bottle of non alcoholic fizz sitting on what was the spirits cabinet - I imagine it will remain there until the end of time, I can't see my partner drinking it!

So good to see you back Willow! I think I need to get on board the porridge train too, I am back to Day 1 sweets wise
Be,Bilr and Tink, hope you guys are doing well - sounds as though you are, another chilled day for me, this doing nothing or very little works quite well for me,
although I will step out a bit later and have a zoom meeting at 12.
see you later
love Billy x
Old 06-10-2020, 12:54 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Evening all, just another quiet day here. Not much happening but safe and sober
Old 06-10-2020, 02:11 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Good morning from Aus. It’s a bit chilly here this morning so I’ve made coffee and I’m back in bed under the covers, until I wake up a little and warm up a little. I know, most people would say 15C isn’t chilly, but when it rarely goes below 28C, 15 is cold! Brrr

Thanks for the welcome back. I’m still dusting myself off after having fallen off the wagon, but I seem to have managed to scramble back on relatively intact and nothing appears to be broken, just somewhat battered and bruised and feeling sore and sorry. I was very lucky it wasn’t much worse, because it easily could have been, and I’m very lucky I managed to climb back on, because each time I have fallen off, it seems it’s getting harder to get back on. I could have been left behind laying in the wheel ruts in the mud. It’s a real reminder to me that I really need to hang on a lot better, especially when there are bumps in the road.

I encountered a whole heap of bumps this last month and I wasn’t hanging onto the wagon firmly enough. But here I am. I don’t intend to fall off again. I think I’ll strap on a safety harness to stop me falling off. SR is my safety harness, and when I had internet and family dramas, I’d slipped right out of the SR safety harness, so when the inevitable bumps came along, the AV didn’t have to try too hard to pull me off the wagon. Also, restrictions have eased here somewhat, and people are all madly catching up. Soooo not visiting my drinking friends is one thing. And not letting visiting friends bring alcohol into my house is another thing.

So I’m back on the wagon, strapped into the SR safety harness, and I’m watching out for the potholes in the road so I can hang on tighter when they arise.

Have a good day everyone
Old 06-10-2020, 04:14 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Willow, it’s all water under the bridge now, nowhere to go but forward at this point. Having drinking friends close by would be tough for me as well. The truth is I haven’t been to a bar in many years and was like George Thorogood, “I drank alone, all by myself”. I try and at read SR multiple times a day and post a few times. I think it helps us stay grounded.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:32 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Thanks Bil, I agree, getting onto SR frequently is key in keeping us grounded. I have to work for a while now, and will have to be really mindful of not letting the AV in once I finish work, that’s my early danger period. I’ll check back in with SR after work
Old 06-10-2020, 10:54 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

I realised I’ve let myself slack off on the exercise lately, being so caught up in family dramas lately. I’m home from work and going to go for a nice long walk. It’s a lovely cool but sunny afternoon, perfect for a walk on the beach
Old 06-10-2020, 11:18 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Morning all, evening willow

We are all different - but I believe exercise to be absolutely key to my recovery so far. My therapist talks about creating natural rewards in the brain and also about how food and exercise speed brain recovery from alcohol use. Plus if I don't exercise I feel much worse (same as if I eat REALLY badly, I just feel like ****!).

So good on you willow, enjoy your walk and let nature do its thing.

(I really struggle with 'higher power' as a concept but I do believe nature wants to repair us...or at least return to equilibrium...and if we let it and do the work ourselves nature and evolution and science will do the rest.)

Im glad to be sober today. Relationship stuff not great...I'm increasingly resilient and looking to the future positively, but I'm also allowing myself to be sad about what's happening.

Have a great day everyone
Old 06-11-2020, 06:08 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Hi everyone hope your all well. I feel very down those past couple days, no desire to drink just feel low. I think with my birthday coming up i just feel like im a year older with nothing changed (apart from being sober) i have a beautiful amazing son who i love with all my heart and he is my whole world, but that is literally it. Other than him i have no one and i guess i just feel really sad about it. I guess i just see a very lonely future and i dont know how to change it.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Oh Tink, I think you are on the way to the most amazing future possible.
Don't forget about the new job....is that still happening?
All you have to do is be you and live, and new friends will find you.
We all adore you. s

Old 06-11-2020, 07:00 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Thank you Venus xx yes the job is due to start in September but i just have no hope left of life getting better. no matter what i try and do, how ever i try and be a better person, nothing gets better nothing nice happens for me. I just seem to get more hurt everytime i try.
im sorry i know im luckier than other people in world right now i just feel so hopeless.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:24 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you are feeling that way dear Tink. ❤️
Old 06-11-2020, 07:36 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Tink, I can empathize with you. During this whole isolation the only time I see people is when I go to the store or walk through my neighborhood. We haven’t had anyone in our house since February so it gets very tiresome. I live in a new city so have no friends here yet. Joining some social groups once things open up might be a good idea. When my kids were younger we used to meet a lot of people through their activities. I don’t view social media as a way to meet people and you only see the good things that are happening with them. I think this makes a lot of people feel inadequate and not doing as well as others.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:43 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Hang in there Tink. This too shall pass. That sounds really trite but I believe it is true, really true.

Life is endlessly surprising, we don't know what's round the corner. Your new job will likely throw up some alcohol temptations but also a whole new social group and purpose. By staying sober and doing what you can each day you move forward no matter how it feels.

What can you do today? (I'm speaking to myself now cos I feel a bit rubbish!) I'm going to get out for a walk, it's raining a bit but I know it'll help. Do something nice and good for you, you deserve it!
Old 06-11-2020, 08:03 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words and support it really does mean alot.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:01 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Evening all/morning willow

Im feeling a bit crappy, sore back and just tired. Nothing major but I'm glad it's bed time soon

See you all tomorrow
Old 06-11-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone

Sending you a huge hug Tink, all the way from Australia I hope things look up for you soon xx