Notices

Class of February 2018 Support Thread Pt 3

Old 04-01-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Same to you Wildflower and congrats on 60 days!!!
Old 04-01-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations wildflower!

D
Old 04-01-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the support Feb group!

The interesting thing today was the shrimp and cocktail sauce was less money than I would have normally spent on holiday booze...YUK

Sobriety brings so many joys, and one of them is being able to buy that special treat, or buy a concert ticket, cause were not wasting another cent on that liquid poison

Treat yourself today group...we all deserve it
Old 04-01-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Definitely WIldflower. I've treated myself to a lot of new clothes, actually it was a necessity because my sober self is 50 pounds lighter than the old bloated drinking self. Also, little treats like frozen yogurt or an iced caramel macchiatto are the bomb
Old 04-02-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Happy Monday everyone. We celebrated our 6th anniversary yesterday. It was very peaceful and dinner was just awesome. As the waiter handed us the drink and wine menus, I gently pushed them away and informed he we don't drink with a lil funny smirk. He smiled back and brought us a nice chilled bottle of sparkling water in an ice bucket with 2 wine glasses and lime. I of course made up for the empty calories I saved by not drinking booze with caramel cake and buttermilk ice cream!! 44 days strong
Old 04-02-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Happy anniversary Sunshine. #44 days strong, love it!

Slight urge coming home from the gym. As I approached the Chinese take out joint I thought about how I used to drink and gorge on food. On a lot of evenings I'd consume over 1500 calories easy....jeez.

Just finished reading "A Drinking Life" written by a NY Post reporter Pete Hammill. At the end he talks about regrets about being a less than stellar father and husband. He eventually quit permanently and wrote on the last page "I am free." My current password at work has the word "freedom," grateful for 44 days. Oh, "This Naked Mind" came in the mail today so i can start reading that one tonight.

Keep rockin' Febs
Old 04-02-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

JCNY you know I understand that urge! Very empowering to overcome it... I'll definitely check out the book you mentioned. I've finished This Naked Mind. It has has a huge impact on me. Im now on Allen Carr's Easy Way to quit drinking. Don't care what the title says it ain't easy at times. X
Old 04-03-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Sunshine, do you think This Naked Mind helped you get through the strong urges the other day? I only read the first chapter, but I took away that we can ultimately control our subconscious and virtually eliminate our addictive voices.
#45strong
Old 04-03-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

JCNY-yes exactly! Our sub-conscience mind has been conditioned/brainwashed by society and subliminal messages EVERYWHERE! However, un-brainwashing our mind is a process and takes time. Some where in there she compares the brain to an iceberg. In that the tiny lil' tip sticking out of the water is only 10% of the conscience mind. The other 90% submerged in the ocean, is our sub-conscience that we can't really see... That is what is ultimately in control. To recognize that and learn to unlearn this brainwashing about alcohol or ANY addiction is key. It is tricky sounding but it makes sense to me and I get it. And it did help very much. However I knew that once I get my horrible outrageous urges NOTHING will help but using all of the tools in my toolbox... I came so close. Now I'm also #45strong (LOVE THAT!)
Old 04-03-2018, 04:33 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Thanks for the detailed response Sunshine and for letting me steal #45strong lol. I'll offer more thoughts on the book as I get further in.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Hey there friends, I had a double today. Apparently that's what it's called at the gastroenterologist's office when you have a colonoscopy and endoscopy on the same day. Doc said everything looks good. Trying to reduce reflux I get and he recommended to cut down to one cup of coffee a day to see if that helps. Jeez, I love coffee! Doc said he went from 12 cups to 8 per day lol. Over the last year I took care of all the health related stuff I needed to. Feels so good to not be worrying about the unknown. I foolishly ignored doctors for the most part during my drinking life.

On Saturday I'm going to a speak easy with my wife and a couple of friends. Then the Rolling Stones cover band I love is playing around the corner so we'll check them out. I offered to drive everybody and will not be drinking today, tomorrow, this month etc. Just put on some Megadeth and am going to get in some exercise at home. Peace Febs!
Old 04-05-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Glad all is well with your health JCNY. I'd have to deal with the refulx. I've given up so many other things so the coffee must stay! lol

I'm in the mountains with my husband and son. It is so beautiful. There is ZERO chance I would ever drink around my son and the thought it not in my mind at all...

If you get a chance google Max Patch. We hiked it today. Wow I'm sore all over! It's in Pisgah Nat'l Forest.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Thank you as usual Sunshine. Max Patch looks beautiful! Sounds like you had a great day and a good work out
Old 04-06-2018, 08:55 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Hey, sobriety works. A friend texted today with an extra ticket for a Randy Hansen tribute to Jimi Hendrix concert tomorrow night north of Seattle with his family.
My friend texted me because I'm sober, always ready to do things, behave in a responsible manner, don't embarrass myself in front of his family, always return texts and calls.

https://www.randyhansen.com/calendar

I'm also going with him and some of his family to see the Foo Fighters in September. This wouldn't have happened two years ago. No one would have called me, and I wouldn't have gone by myself. I would have stayed home on Saturday, as usual, drunk as usual.
There's really nothing like being sober.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:02 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Oh, and just so I won't be left out, I scheduled a doctors appointment to start the process for a colonoscopy on Monday, and had a blood draw today. So I'm taking care of deferred medical maintenance.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Cool stuff, Tiles. The Struts have been opening for the Foo Fighters; not sure if they are still in Sept. when you’ll see them. I like them. They’re not the type of band I would normally like, but the singer is a natural performer and reminds me of some combination of Jagger, Mercury, and Bowie.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Getting to leave for the show. It's a ways north, so I have to leave early, especially due to traffic.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Tiles, have a great time at the Hendrix tribute and let us know how it was.

I’m off to see The Stones tribute. I’m In the midst of a two day spat with my wife and really want to drink. Posting to keep myself accountable, phew I feel better already!
Old 04-07-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

OOTT: this just came across my Facebook feed:
Superchunk's new album What A Time To Be Alive is out now--featuring the recent singles "Break the Glass" and "Erasure"
Old 04-07-2018, 05:13 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JC-NY View Post
Tiles, have a great time at the Hendrix tribute and let us know how it was.

I’m off to see The Stones tribute. I’m In the midst of a two day spat with my wife and really want to drink. Posting to keep myself accountable, phew I feel better already!
Don't even think about it buddy! We are #49 strong! You are my partner in this. Talk it out if you need to. I'm here for you. I know the feeling. You know drinking won't help a damn thing. It does absolutely nothing for us.