Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 31

Old 09-08-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for all that Up - I hope your relatives are helping you share the load.

D
Old 09-09-2017, 12:03 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Up,
Really hope the situation becomes more tolerable,...( and soon ) .

Well, our state Governor decided to issue mandatory evacuation orders this evening for several barrier islands along the southern coast of South Carolina . The hurricane will start busting in on southern Florida later this morning ,...it's moving north about as fast as we all ride a bicycle .

I was scheduled to work the next three nights, .....but management apparently doesn't need anyone now . Since I'm the only one not paid salary ,......I guess I'm the only one with a smaller than expected paycheck ?!

That's no big deal ,.... if I decide to leave for a visit to Tennessee ,.... or anywhere ,...it's a firm commitment ,...because the National Guard will be stationed at the bridge coming on the island,...and they won't let anyone back on the island starting at 10am Sat . .......like 7 hours from now .

I have to say, it's really an unnecessary imposition with the path of the storm so very far west of us .

Anyway,... the price of fuel has also jumped 25% ,..... that alone makes me want to ride a bicycle for a couple weeks .

Looking on the bright side,.... the ongoing paver project is callin' with this windfall of free time !
Old 09-09-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Glad the owner of the property management co. at our resort stays actively involved like she does !
After a convo with the owner ,... the office manager called a few minutes ago, ...and asked if I could work the next two nights .

All our businesses are basically shuttered as I returned home last night ( at 2am ) A little like a ghost town all of the sudden .

The folks on Florida's west coast may be in for some kind of bad time if that storm doesn't weaken dramatically heading north .

Y'all may not know the demographic down there,.... it's not like Houston .

Large areas of widespread borderline poverty with many structures built well before the building codes introduced "metal hurricane clips / straps " as the industry standard for fastening lumber all throughout the framing process . It's a tenuous scene .

How's everything going Obo ?

Hope to hear from anyone who happens to drop by here ? !
Old 09-09-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Tops, I'm watching the news. Would Tennessee be a safer place? The hurricane doesn't seem to be loosing power at all. I would have no clue what to do in this situation, a nice cup of tea probably isn't a great deal of help !
Be careful and stay safe.
I hope it calms down quickly.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

UP, spending too much time with family members is challenging ...... That's for sure.

Sobriety is the only way to cope with these trying times. Hope things settle down soon for you
Old 09-09-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Tops it's difficult for me to judge distances over there. How far away is Florida from where you are?
Old 09-09-2017, 04:50 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post
Tops it's difficult for me to judge distances over there. How far away is Florida from where you are?
The northern tip of Florida is roughly 170 km ,....on the coast here. My cottage is only 5 km from the Ga state line ( by boat ) ,.....but the appr. 70km drive there requires driving inland and then on some curvy roads with bridges .
This part of the coast is distinctive for it's many meandering rivers and miles and miles of low lying saltwater marshes that receive a lot of water with the 8 foot ocean tides on this section . Fla. only has a 1 foot tide change ,....so their boat docks are 'fixed " in place . Nice and simple !

Our boat docks require a "floating dock " that rises and falls 8 feet twice a day. Most modern type docks have a high fixed dock with a long aluminum walkway ,.......at a high tide the walkway has a gentle slope ,....low tide more like 30 degrees maybe .

Not too worried about the weather headed our way so far . Until last year this island has been fortunate to never have had a direct hit. Many tropical storms move through and knock down some trees here and there,.....and we'll lose power several times a year ,...but it's no biggie,....

I've never carried any insurance on my cottage . Folks think that's kind of insane,...but it gives me opportunity to exercise my faith ,.....faith in the future . It's an abstract approach,...but I have this lingering thought that far too many people chase a false sense of security .
Overcoming fear by taking a few more risks feels like a healthier approach .

I would never , ever recommend for anyone be underinsured,... or take any risks they're uncomfortable with . It just feels better to me,....and using the savings for groceries really. feels good !!

Freein,
I was laughin' out loud when I read your idea of " a nice cup of tea " ! ,....
,....still am !
Old 09-10-2017, 12:55 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

"Faith in the future", I love that philosophy. I'll mull that over today.

I totally agree that most of our (my) fears relate to thoughts about a potentially uncontrollable and insecure future. To have faith that the future will be just as it is, and not have the feeling that I need to control it, would be wonderfully calming, even exciting!
That's a gift of a thought Tops, thank you.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:44 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Still no power at home, ....but, thankfully the internet comes and goes here at work.

The damage we have locally is from the storm surge flooding low lying areas,.....it's heartbreaking to see . Maybe tomorrow they will call off the dusk till dawn curfew and open up the bridge to allow folks back on the island .
Still a ghost town,

....major roads are clear,...and hopefully the local power outages are short term .

How's everything going y'all ?
Old 09-11-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Thinking of you Tops. I hope the worst is over for you. Wish there was something I could do to help.

I've woken up feeling a bit dizzy, not sure why. I think it might be stress related. Hopefully it will pass after some porridge. Feels really strange at the moment.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:09 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

It could indeed be stress related Free,...with everything you're dealing with these last few months, ....

It's 3 am ,....and with nothing better to do here at work, ....I just finished getting a few barrels of leaves out of the heated pool here,...and cleaning up a bit around the hot tub .

Never worked around these pools really, but noticed how our pool guy does a few things ,.... thankfully it's not "rocket science " ,..as they say.

It'll feel great to have a cup of tea and sleep in my own bed later today ,...power or no power . Can't head home until 7am ,...with this totally unnecessary curfew .

How are you faring Up ?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:46 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're ok Tops
hope you're feeling better now Free?

D
Old 09-12-2017, 10:59 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Tops, hope you're resting well by now. Has the storm passed over completely? I'm relieved it's over. I'm guessing it's another big clear up job now though. I hope the cottage hasn't been damaged, and that you'll have power soon for a nice cup of tea!

It's my mum's funeral this afternoon, I'll be relieved when it's over. I don't like the thought of meeting so many people at the moment, but it's got to be done. I expect we'll have copious amounts of tea available afterwards! Thank heavens for tea.

I'll be working Thursday and Friday, and then we'll be off to Croatia for 2 weeks. My sister and brother will be around to support dad, and everyone seems to be encouraging me to still go, so I'm actually looking forward to getting away for a while.

UP, have things calmed down there a bit?
Old 09-12-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Hi Mariah, hope all's well.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:03 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bon Voyage Free

D
Old 09-14-2017, 12:46 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Freein,

I'm glad to hear y'all will be heading east soon for a relaxing holiday .
Have you mentioned snorkeling there in the past ?

I'm no vocalist ,...but these have such a nice slow cadence ...almost inviting the listener to harmonize ,..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PVG...Mcqgc&index=14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL7g...=RDuL7gb3Mcqgc

Have found several concert audio recordings of them,..... this one from 2004 at St. Lukes in London captures some quality video ,...
it's close to an hour long ,....the cover they do with OCMS
(Old Crow Medicine Show )toward the end seems better,...and better the more I've heard it.

For some odd reason ?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eF7gywHMxw&t=1064s
Old 09-14-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

They have some wonderful harmonies don't they. Very talented. I would like to say that I too could attempt to harmonise, but in all honesty.....I can make grown men cry with my singing voice....and not in a good way.

Have you got power back yet Tops? I hope there's not too much damage where you are.

I'll be taking my trusty snorkel to Croatia. I love watching the fish, and looking out for treasure chests (have yet to find one of those, but I live in hopes).

Please take care while I'm away, I'll miss checking in, but I will look forward to catching up with you all when I get back.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Still ... same same, here. They have moved my step mom to hospice.

I hope you are feeling better free. Have a wonderful vacation.
I hope you aren't dealing with the crap I'm dealing with here. Everyone is starting to jockey for what they can get and mom hasn't even passed.

Hope you are doing well tops.

Hi Dee, Mariah, obo, izzy and anyone else.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:51 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Oh UP, I'm so sorry to hear what's going on there. It must be terribly upsetting. I know it's hard but try to keep your focus away from the nonsense, and keep focusing on what's important. This is such a precious time to be wholly with your Mum.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Alright everyone ,......we're all gonna have to post something; anything. with Free gone on holiday,...

That means you Up,

...... and you Mariah,

..... and you Izzy

,....and definitely you Obo !!!

Y'all will be bored outta your minds with my posts !?!