Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) (was F.I.S.T#3)

Old 06-28-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Gil, I am cleaning house today too. And dealing with tiny terror.
Part of my 'putting house in order' is doing my paperwork and staying on top of my calendar.
I put my calendar for the summer together and I have a whopping 6 days off total in 2 months. I am going to have to let a part time family go. Their time always falls on my full time families off days. Everything is just so beautifully staggered that everyone's days off never line up. L. O. L.

I think I've gotten the thing with my son figured out now just remains to talk to him and his father.
I know, I have been digging deep at letting go of all the negativity I've gotten from this. Not just from my ex, but from my dad, the sadness of my son. Feeling like the world's biggest jerk. I just gonna keep faith that everything will work out as it should. I am struggling, I am tired.
I'll leave it at that I guess. I've got a lot to look forward to, I'm keeping up with my bills and I will be able treat my boy to some stuff while he's here.
There are a lot of upsides to the schedule. I'm trying to look at the breakdown of days and times rather than just days off or I might short circuit.

Took a tour of my little girl's kindergarten class yesterday. So cute to see her in the school setting, she seems so grown up, very mature even. Exciting stuff.

Courage I'm really glad the techs got it figured out all good and proper for you!!
Uhg, computers sometimes!!

I need this <<<
Old 06-28-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hello Posters!

Del, so sorry that you are struggling and a little burnt out. It is to be expected with your current situation. It's good to be current with the bills, and you sound very organized. That's a huge stress relief. You will have a lot to look forward to.

Courage, I'm glad that you are back in the 90's and have internet access again. It is amazing how dependent we have become on computers. We seldom realize that until they go down. Thank goodness for the cloud.

I did an hour and a half bike ride along a river trail this morning. I am fortunate to live near several rail to trail recreation paths. The county uses abandoned railway right of ways and lays down crushed gravel to allow bikes and joggers and horses to get their exercise. I then did the shopping, several loads of laundry, and have been doing yard work the last three hours. Definitely a Type A day off today.

Off to make dinner!
Old 06-28-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Old 06-28-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

My husband is hosting a guys' night tonight complete with steaks, cigars, and fireworks.

I wasn't the only one doing crazed housecleaning--he came home early from work, and my son pitched in, too.

The guests have started trickling in, so I've retreated to my room, with SR, a good book, a bowl of popcorn, and the Rock Hudson movie on MST3K.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by gilmer View Post
my husband is hosting a guys' night tonight complete with steaks, cigars, and fireworks.

I wasn't the only one doing crazed housecleaning--he came home early from work, and my son pitched in, too.

The guests have started trickling in, so i've retreated to my room, with sr, a good book, a bowl of popcorn, and the rock hudson movie on mst3k.
Avalanche! With Mia Farrow. It's bad. My kids loved it.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

The first 'Rock'. Do you remember Mc Millan and wife? Oh god those sports jackets!
Old 06-28-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Yes. My mother loved Columbo, but she couldn't stand Rock Hudson, so we never watched McMillan and Wife or the one with Dennis Weaver, because she couldn't stand him either!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

The guys were kind enough to send me up a nice piece of steak! It was excellent!

For a minute there I heard somebody down there singing in a falsetto!

But now all seems silent, which must mean that dinner is over and they've gone out for cigars.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Steak and MST3K, fabulous combo! You have excellent taste, Gilmer!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Yes. My mother loved Columbo, but she couldn't stand Rock Hudson, so we never watched McMillan and Wife or the one with Dennis Weaver, because she couldn't stand him either!
My mother adored Columbo, but couldn't stand McCloud. She thought the premise too hokey. I remember watching Columbo some Sunday nights.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Welcome, Lascaux!
Old 06-29-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
or the one with Dennis Weaver, because she couldn't stand him either!
Where I come from, them's fightin' words! Dennis Weaver was always one of my favorites. From "Chester" on Gunsmoke to the father on Gentle Ben to the guy that battles the killer truck in Duel to McCloud, I loved it all!
Old 06-29-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Gentle Ben I was allowed to watch!

I have no idea why my mom would like or dislike certain actors and actresses--but boy, was she opinionated!

Dennis Weaver always seemed like a nice guy to me!
Old 06-29-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Gilmer, how did you like Avalanche? Rock's mother was the laughable lush that you used to see on tv all the time back then. At least now we realize that alcoholism is nothing to laugh about.

Back to paying work today. Enjoy the day all!
Old 06-29-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm late to the party but my mother ranked them Columbo (because he was smart), McMillan & Wife (because he was handsome), and McCloud (because she was a snob). I personally thought Dennis Weaver was kind of hot.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

I remember Columbo vaguely.

Different generation I guess. I remember like, Miami Vice and McGyver and Baywatch, stuff like that.

I didn't have the pleasure of having a mom around at all when I was growing up.
I do recall with amusement that my dad regularly taped Melrose Place and Beverly Hills 90210 to watch when he had time after work I always thought he made up for lack of a female figure that way LOL. I thought McGyver was pretty cool. Who was the other one I'm trying to remember?? Not the Leap of Faith guy.

Other than that I am clueless. I was a child of the 80s.

Gilmer, that sounds like a divine little escape from the onslaught of men and how nice they brought you STEAK! Steak is my favorite and oh gosh, it's like eating meaty gold now with the cost of beef being so high.

On Saturday my buddy and I went to a rib fest in town and one of the vendors had BEEF RIBS!! Omg, my favorite eats in the whole world. As he was the paying gentleman, I ordered a full rack of beef ribs. Ate myself full. With leftovers to bring home for supper and breakfast.

After my massive melt down about this upcoming visit with my boy (or at least it felt that way and I'm too embarassed to go back and read it lol)
Things turned out ok. My guilt turned to more guilt, then relief, then excitement. He's forgoing his tournament of his own choice to be with me as soon as possible. I told him I had made other arrangements so he could still go to the tourney but he was adamant. This not 24 hours after he had been crying over missing it. It really warmed my heart.
I won't go into the BS that came after that, haha. But it was expected and I let it roll off my back because it was all benign, these little games his dad likes to try and play with me.
I feel grateful and a lot lighter today. The internal fight is gone (for the moment). So, one more week!

No drinking for moi today.
I did break down and have a smoke or ten though, for shame.
Harm reduction I guess. I didn't punch walls and all I did was vent loudly to the people who listen patiently.

Happy sober day you POSTy folks!
Old 06-29-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Oh, Del!

I'm thrilled that the visit with your son is happening on schedule after all!

I used to enjoy "Quantum Leap" where the guy (Scott Bakula) got yanked forward or backward into time in all different kinds of bodies. I enjoyed Dean Stockwell as his derelict, smart-aleck sidekick.

And SG, I did really enjoy "Avalanche."

At first I thought I was going to be disappointed. Yes, the 70s outfits, dancing, and haircuts were really, really bad and really, really accurate (I wore that stuff as a teenager)--but nothing really jumped out at me as funny.

Not until after the avalanche hit, that is. It showed different scenes where the snow buried various places, and I yawned--I just thought the spectacle was really cheesy.

UNTIL IT HIT THE KITCHEN! When that chef fell on the floor and got hit with the big pot of soup, I LOST IT!

And then when Jonah and the robots showed the long list of hybrid disaster movies they sought to prevent, I screamed and cried through the whole thing.

Now that's what I've come to expect from MST3K!

One interesting thing: I didn't realize that Rock Hudson's mother was supposed to be be a lush. I thought she was just an irritating spoiled rich woman. I was pleased to see that she was overcome in the avalanche. Then I was annoyed that they revived her and got her into an ambulance. At last I was delighted that she went off the bridge and exploded in flames after all!

I didn't realize that she was an old drunk till Jonah and the robots made jokes about it.

One thing that astonished me: throughout all the horrors and chaos of the avalanche, the hair of Rock Hudson, his mom, and the Toni Tennille ice skater stayed totally hairspray perfect!
Old 06-29-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

How are the rest of you all doing?
Old 06-29-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Doing well, here! I missed lunch because of meetings and felt my resolve slipping a bit (note to self, do not do that again, at least snack on something). Instead of stopping off for pizza and booze I picked up supper at a seafood place. Fried shrimp and tea, yummo! Take that, AV!
How's everyone else doing this Thursday?
Old 06-29-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Swimmingly. Officially my days off over two months have been cut down from 6 to 4.
4 big thumbs up!

I need to quit already. C'moooon, lottery!