Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) (was F.I.S.T#3)

Old 07-01-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

I read some KFC reviews for Canada: similar to here.

The flavor of the chicken is good, but the pieces are very small and ingeniously gerrymandered so that every piece in the bucket contains the lion's share of the chicken's back!
Old 07-01-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 6 months Del

D
Old 07-01-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

6 months is GREAT, Del !!
-- what is Poultine???
I'm SE, USA . In the N Ga mtns. Cheetos is a food group for me, still. Lol
Today was day 2 of my work weekend. Storms today. Power out in my Fire dept area. Med calls and cutting trees for 12 hrs. NO gym tonight. Tired.
Came home, played with kids, jumped on the bed w my 4 yr old ( pissed wife off ).
Now I'm crashing got the night. My wife's got a lot of stuff going on with her emotions and some terrible thyroid issues, and nothing may ever change, but I can always love her better now that I'm out of that crap that went on inside my head for most of my life. I guess it's alcoholic thinking, in general, and doing a recovery program has really freed me, from the trap of being inside my head.
Thankful today.

Edit:: is poutine chicken? ?
Old 07-01-2017, 09:19 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on six months Del!!

Poutine yum!

Time for a few hours of sleep before heading back to work. No drinking for me this morning!

Nite all!
Old 07-01-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! it was a really good day! We went to the park where there were lots of goings ons, me and my girl and my youngest I sit. We stayed for about an hour and a half, cotton candied and played a few games and got some helium balloons. Ended up going back at 10 with my other two girls and mine to watch the fireworks. Yes, the difficult one! The show was great though! It turned out all very nicely.
I spent a fair bit of time doing yard work and rearranging things inside and out of the house, so things are getting nice and tidy.

JL, has your wife's issues improved at all since I've last heard? It really sounds like you've come a long way with coping with it, you sound so much happier with life. It does feel good to be out of that sick thinking doesn't it?!

Sleep well SG! And all lovely folks out there

Today was a very winning day. Very grateful to be sober, so no drinking here
Old 07-02-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats, Del!

Heading off for my regular Sunday morning nature walk. Haven't seen anything exotic lately...maybe today will be the day!
Old 07-02-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

JL, I'm sorry that your wife is suffering so with her health. The more you reclaim your unvarnished self through sobriety, the more time and greater capacity you'll have to give others emotional support.

If Cheerios are a food group, then you would love poutine! It's French fries with cheese curds (nodules) mixed in, all covered with gravy.

The only reason chicken came up was because I went to a KFC in Canada in the 80s and the gravy was even delicious there!
Old 07-02-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Del, one thing I really like and admire about you is your determination to make memories for the kids that are not only good, but a total blast!

Sounds like you're that kind of dad too, JL!
Old 07-02-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good morning all!

Choking down a coffee before a quick shower and back to work.

I am glad you had such a great day Del! Maybe everyone can sleep in today.

Hopefully, the temperature isn't too hot FBL and maybe you can see some exotic wildlife this morning. I have a fox now to go along with my hawk friends here. Keeping the mice and squirrel populations in control.

Morning Gil!

Best wishes for a sober Sunday all!
Old 07-02-2017, 04:10 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Morning, SG!

Hope you see some interesting animals, FBL!
Old 07-02-2017, 04:52 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Nothing out of the ordinary this morning. Same old ducks, geese and bunny rabbits...but I still love 'em!
Old 07-02-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Dam.
Been onshift 1 hr.
Medcall- unresponsive patient, 1 breath/ 20 seconds , when I got there. Dilated pupils. Pills/alcohol user. COPD too. Holidays are awful for EMS calls !! I did all an EMT can do. Gotta let the rest go.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thank you for your posts here, JL.
Thank you for trying with the Medcall.

I can "thank" posts again. That's progress. I'm terrified of the bluescreen of death and just had a nonresponsive app, so I don't think I'm cured yet. If I get through today computer-functionally, that'll be good. I'll very definitely not drink over this.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Bad day today. Started off by dropping a cast iron skillet on my toe.

Then as the day progressed I got a headache and became nauseous--and sank into a fast depression that I can't pep talk my way out of.

Guests I can't face are coming over in a couple hours.. I need to go to bed.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Bad day today. Started off by dropping a cast iron skillet on my toe.

Then as the day progressed I got a headache and became nauseous--and sank into a fast depression that I can't pep talk my way out of.

Guests I can't face are coming over in a couple hours.. I need to go to bed.
((Gilmer))
Some days start out bad and never improve.
Can you call your visitors and put them off until you feel better?
I 'm like you, my bed is my refuge in times of trouble.
I hope things improve quickly for you...
Hugs,
Croutie
Old 07-02-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Sorry you started your days off badly JL and Gilmer. JL, the stupid will really hit on the fourth when heavy drinking is combined with explosives. I had a friend whom was an ER nurse, and she hated this holiday.

Gilmer, I hope that you didn't break your toe. They are painful and there is nothing you can do to fix it.

We lost power in our store last night in a heavy thunderstorm wave. The storms crashed our register system for an hour. We had to clear everyone out and lock the doors. Same thing happened this morning, but somehow the battery backups to our store computer servers got fried too. So I had to run an extension cord to a wall outlet to keep our entire computer operation going. It's all running off of an extension cord and will be for the next three days. Our technology is so out of date that they have to custom rebuild parts for us and ship them out from the home office. It staggers the mind sometimes. Courage, maybe I can just run an extension cord for ya!

May everyone have a better tomorrow!
Old 07-02-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Glad you had some old school common sense, SG.

The guests came as scheduled, Croutie. I woke up from my 3-hr. nap right after they arrived and had a nice dinner.

I feel exponentially better after my nap!

I'm very sure my toe's not broken, SG. The blinding pain was much lessened in about two minutes. Now the pain is just enough to be irritating.

I was distracted from the initial pain by the shock of realizing that I DID NOT SWEAR!! All I did was yell "OW! OW!" Usually my reflex is to scream the SH bomb.

I'm working on giving swearing up altogether.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's an amazing job you do JL - thanks for doing it.

Hope everyone else is doing well - toes, storms, feeling unwell and computers included

D
Old 07-02-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Hi, all...wow, some new folks have joined the fray...nice, and welcome.

JL, welcome and thanks for the difficult and important work that you do.

GG, I've been trying for a few years to eliminate swear words. Far from perfect, I've managed some nice stretches.

Hi, Dee.

Del...big congrats on the 6.

Cour...one word...works on everything - reboot. lol

Star, hope the storms are past.

I'm confused...doesn't it show our start date and total posts anymore. I think I was approaching 4000?

I am back home in Florida...woohoo!!! Hit the gym (cardio and yoga) and saw JG yesterday...lots of hugs - it was nice.

Sold tons of stuff and close to an agreement on my home so my trip north was a success. I even got a few job work days in up there and generated some nice potential - good reason to return. PA will always be in my blood.

Busy day with JG early on a couple projects. Will try to wrap up the deal on a new home group church for our meeting tomorrow night and plan to hit b/pump class....

Love my life in FL and sooo happy to be back. Reuniting with Jersey Girl was pretty special.

Off to bed to be up at 5am....no plans for drink or drugs here...best to all....old and new POSTers.

SR Carlos
Old 07-02-2017, 09:46 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Great to see you, Carlos!