Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) (was F.I.S.T#3)

Old 07-02-2017, 11:36 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I am glad your dinner turned out well Gilmer!

Congrats on a successful trip to Pa Carlos. Welcome back to your new home in Florida and all that it offers. Your join date and posts are showing on my computer, btw.

Obviously up early for work. I'm done at 3:00 today and then not back to work until Thursday afternoon. My days off coincide with the holiday this year which is nice.

Drinking nothing but coffee this morning.

Have a great day all!
Old 07-03-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Carlos, was reading about your PA adventures on FB. Glad you got back to Florida safely.

Wow, I hope today is better for everyone here! My work projects continue.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm not going to say I'm out of the woods on computer issues, but just for the moment, I'm functional. With a bunch of deadlines coming up, not enough time left in the summer, & everyone but me thinking that we're supposed to be having fun in the sun, I've been very tense. I didn't drink, but I thought of it, and there were other little alcoholic tics that were going on that only I know about -- danger signs.

Croutie, nice to see you here! Me, you & Gilmer find solace in our beds. The new sober medicated me can leave the house on my own once a day to work and forage for food. Once I get home, I'm straight under the covers. It's part that my apt. is so small I have only a couple of places to sit , but a lot comfort.

IWLST, I'm glad you're back in FL and that the PA trip accomplished much that you wanted it to. I was a little worried about you. "Going back" is hard on the emotions. And you know how well we all handle emotions You done good!

Off I go into the office in a few minutes, to try to catch up a little.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Busy day at work today, following by cutting the lawn after dinner. Trying to get ready for a picnic tomorrow with the four houses on my lane.

I remember the Fourth being a day of grilling and consuming lots of brewskis. The lure of holidays and drinking was a strong one for me. Thankful that is no longer the case.

It's been a long day, and I should be exhausted but I think I am at that overtired stage where I will just toss and turn if I go to bed now. Hopefully, I can get a decent nights sleep.

I hope everyone has plans to do something fun tomorrow!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
p***enger

I hope you have a good sleep, stargazer.

There's a thorn in the domestic nest, or it feels that way to me. I'm unreasonably scared about certain things and anger is top of the list. At least nowadays I can pretty well convince myself my fears are unreasonable. Classic child of alcoholics, me.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
p***enger

All's well. Hope all of you are, too.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:34 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Happy Independence Day to all the American posties!

Our office is closed, but I'll be putting in a couple of hours on my summer side project.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glad things are ok Courage! Sometimes, we are our own worst enemies.

I hope you get to enjoy a little downtime today FBL, though you always strike me as someone whom enjoys being busy. Boredom was often a reason for me to start drinking.

Happy holidays to our American friends. My store is right down the street from a large local hospital, and several workers commented on how they hate this holiday. Alcohol, explosives and stupidity all swirled together. Hopefully none of the three for me today!

Enjoying a little coffee and chilling a bit. Thinking about what the Fourth symbolizes and where we are today. Makes my head hurt just a bit.

Chat later...
Old 07-04-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Star, I don't consider my job to be "work", but yes, I will be taking some "me" time today. The weather is too nice to sit inside ALL day!
Old 07-04-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good morning -- afternoon actually, but I have a funny schedule.

How is everyone's mojo? Are you pulling magic rabbits out of sobriety's daily top hat?

Happy 4th of July. Be free from whatever has had you shackled.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

It's been a taxing week both physically and emotionally. It's been exacerbated by the fact that I've had to entertain and have fallen way behind in my studies.

Fortunately I have just come home. Hopefully I'll get it together again tomorrow.

I need a spiritual renewal. The baser and more unpleasant part of my nature has been coming through.

The thing is, on two occasions this week I had helpful ESH to offer people on here--and instantly Screwtape started sneering about what a preposterous hypocrite I am.

It's mostly a lie; but it does sting because there is an ever-so-slight bit of truth to it. Not a lot of truth--but just enough to make me want to go out and howl at the moon.

Then again, it's late and I'm getting tired.

I'll be much better adjusted in the morning.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

SR is such a bright spot for me.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Good meeting this morning. Got that ' ahh, I'm where I need to be', feeling. Swam rest of the day with kids at a inlaws 4th J, cookout/ swim/ drinkfest. Had the best time ever, at one of those. Also noticed that those "drunks" I used to talk about not wanting to be around ( in my mind), never approached my daydrinking levels. Wife's got the kids staying out late for a fireworks show. They're all exhausted. I said no and am in the bed. Long day tomorrow, and I'm no good dragging through a day, exhausted. Also got a firefighter class tomorrow night after work. Hope to be done and certified by August. Really pushy life schedule, but I just so nope sometimes, stop, rest, and breath.
Breathing on now ....zzzzz
Old 07-04-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

That sounds like a very satisfying day for everyone, JL. I'm really glad you called it a day when you did. Isn't it cool that your brain gets so much better at managing life when you're sober and rational?

I hope your wife and kids have a great time at the fireworks, and I hope everything goes smoothly for you tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:04 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Woke up bright and early this morning! That's a good sign!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

The neighbors were shooting off fireworks well into the wee hours last night. Guess it's my payback for doing the same when I was young and foolish.

Have a great day, gang!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:30 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

My community set them off at about 9 last night: I vaguely heard one!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would never call you a hypocrite Gilmer. Methinks that Screwtape guy has a few screws loose

D
Old 07-05-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

You always manage to say just the right thing!

Thank you!
Old 07-05-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I'm glad that you had a good day JL. I love your line about the drunks not approaching your day-drinking levels. It shows us how far down the continuum we actually were while using.

Gilmer, you had tired me out just reading all about your hostess duties this week. I was curious if you had a week off from school since you haven't mentioned it at all. Time to hit the books! I think it's crazy that you think you are a hypocrite. That's just your alcoholic thinking coming through. You rock lady!

Had a very quiet picnic with my next door in laws and neighbors. My kids had no desire to see fireworks, so I got to avoid those crowds. My brother in law is a drummer and has to learn a bunch of Allman Brothers songs by next Sunday for a tribute show he's playing in. I hung out in the back yard streaming tunes for him so he could soak it up. Love me some old Allmans, especially the live stuff. I had a blast being DJ for him!

Off today and need to hit the domestic arts. Laundry, shopping, cleaning, and preparing some meals. I have a lot of more involved projects I need to start working on, but it always seems the everyday ones take all my time and energy. I will deal with things when I need to deal with things and not beat myself up in advance.

I hope everyone has an awesome day!