Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) (was F.I.S.T#3)

Old 06-10-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

That is very wise and mature thinking.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm with you Stargazer. I can't even think about my highs. They were low, if you know what I mean. They make me shudder worse than the other.

On that cheery note, I have a joke:

An Irishman comes to London looking for work. He goes to a building site and asks the (English) foreman for a job. The foreman looks the scrawny fellow over, and says, "You don't look like you know a girder from a joist." The Irishman replies, "Of course I do! One wrote Faust and the other wrote Ulysses!"
Old 06-11-2017, 01:21 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Old 06-11-2017, 02:07 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Going to be a hot one today, fellow East Coasters! Off to work I go.

Enjoy the day and keep cool (or warm,PJ) all!
Old 06-11-2017, 04:19 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Welcome, Mark! I hope you'll stick around. Lots of wisdom on this thread.

Went for my Sunday morning nature walk. I try to walk at least 2-3 miles every day, but the Sunday morning one is a bit longer and goes thru a nice wooded area, past the local river and falls. Lots of birds, squirrels and rabbits, along with the occasional fox, raccoon, possum or turtle (depending on how early I get going). This morning I saw lots of baby ducks and geese.

When I quit drinking, I was in pretty rough shape. My doctor said that if I kept it up, I'd probably dead within 5 years. That was now nearly 8 years ago! So glad I chose to live instead.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

It's important to stay grounded: sometimes I need a gentle reminder that nobody died and made me empress!

While not discounting the real good that I contribute, I need to remember that if I stepped back a bit in some areas, the world would not stop turning.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'd like to see a wild fox.

Stargazer, I'm traveling to your state today. Yum, the smell of jet fuel rising off hot tarmac!
Old 06-11-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Great posts at the end of the last thread and for the start of this one.

Del - You know all those cliches about how life isn't about avoiding the storm, it's about dancing in the rain? That's what you are doing every time you allow yourself to experience the struggle, sober. I find that with time, the storms don't feel any less intense, but when I put my sober tools to work, like you did, the call to drink diminishes.

Interesting insight by others about allowing ourselves some down time. I struggle with the same go-go-go mentality. There's always something that needs to be done, or would be helpful or beneficial to do. When I take my foot off the gas, I feel like I am shirking my responsibilities. Failing myself. Failing others. I think that mindset can sabotage my recovery.

Have a great rest of your weekend, everyone.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

SG - I don't think it's inevitable that addicts and alcoholics will relapse, but it will happen. When faced with that situation, my sponsor suggests a great activity to take my focus off of other people: She will point out that I don't know what type of activities the other person does, and what I can control is that I am grateful for my recovery today, and engage in the things I need to do to be recovered.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Ugh! I'm still acting as if somebody died and made me empress!
Old 06-11-2017, 04:18 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm in a situation where I've somehow begun dominating things by default.

I feel that somebody has to say something; so I've taken it upon myself to step up and fill all awkward pauses. I'm getting more and more uneasy, because I know deep down it's not my place.

Even if some people are really and truly mistaken about things, my stepping in and lecturing them like a know-it-all is not the answer.

Sharing a bit of information is fine--but everybody hates a perennial schoolmarm who is constantly wagging her finger and airing her own opinions. I fear that I'm alienating people rather than benefiting them.

I need to back the heck off!

Not the empress! Don't want to be the empress!
Old 06-11-2017, 09:27 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
p***enger

Gilmer, if you really truly believe you're right, and it's something important, and no one else is stepping up, to say what you think isn't bad. But if people won't listen... you can't usually change that, and to keep speaking out will just make you feel louder and worse. I guess it comes down to, how important is this? Is someone's health or livelihood at risk? What are the consequences if you just bow out of the picture?
Old 06-11-2017, 09:54 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Mark

Gilmer I can see you trying to fix things in good faith, or trying to keep the peace, but I can never see you dominating things or acting like an Empress

I was the General Manager of the Universe tho - don't take that job - long hours, no thanks, no benefits - it's cruddy

D
Old 06-11-2017, 10:16 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

You bring up some great points Glee. I am sure hoping relapse doesn't happen either! I think a little self focus is not a bad thing to maintain recovery.

Courage, welcome to Pa! Where did your airplane take you?

Gilmer, you don't strike me as the Empress type. My family would cut me to pieces if I took that role.

Up early to get to work by 3:00 so that I can defrost a freezer case before our morning deliveries arise. Ah, the magic that has to happen in a grocery store before the doors open.

Just remembered Carlos should be in Pittsburgh about now too. Pa can't handle so many Poster's at one time, can it?

Have a good day all!
Old 06-12-2017, 12:14 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Empress Gilmer....has a nice ring about it, but no Gilly. You only judge you in your own mind, me thinks, me luverlee.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm sure Carlos is a happy camper today as his beloved Pens won the Stanley Cup last night.

Have a great Monday, gang!
Old 06-12-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
p***enger

Pittsburgh.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:35 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Dee! Rare that I see you this time of day How are you?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hey, gang. Love the new thread name.

Bust times - Saturday was bodypump with my old gang up north, then golfing with some peeps that I've known since hs/college - GREAT DAY.

Yesterday was 9 hours at one of my two storage units. This is a big task. Back at it as soon as I finish this email.

Staying with a friend and switching off on Wednesday - you know, that smell like fish thing.

Yes, the game was super fantastic and the Pittsburgh Penguins are 5 time Stanley Cup Champions. On for the THUMB, baby!!!

I'm friends with FBL and Glee on FB...so they are up to date on my THRILL!!!

tty'all-later

No, not me - not today.

Carlos