Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part 3

Old 04-13-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Checking in Marchers. A little fog headed and tired today at work even though I slept well. Oh well.. it too shall pass.

Sorry about your slip Argi. Back on the sober bus you go......... Jimmy
Old 04-13-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Day 33. -- I came pretty close today to stopping for wine. I had a really stressful work day and just wanted to check out for awhile. But I convinced myself that's a terrible reason to drink and throw away the days I have, Making someone pasta for dinner.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Welcome Veeroni!
Old 04-13-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Welcome Veeronni !

Just a quick check in. I've had 2 nights of sleep without the nightmares, night sweats or insomnia. It only took a couple of weeks to get back to some normal sleep, so I'm pretty happy about this. Hopefully it continues. I've been nodding off on my commute home. Yikes! I'm still a little irritable, to say the least. Unfortunately, I blew up at the wife and kids this morning, so I'll have to be a little more mindful of things.

Although I haven't had any cravings or urges, I have been through a lot of triggers, including depression, loneliness, anger, wife leaving all day, etc., and haven't resorted to the good old vodka. I'm reviewing my plan and strategies in this downtime, because I know what's coming.

Last night was the first night I went back to my regular routine of watching TV late at night. This was my pattern during my drinking days, so I totally avoided this situation the past few weeks. Last night was a success, but if the old feelings start creeping in I will leave the room immediately and go down my list on my plan.

I feel like I'm devising a military plan for a full-scale invasion of someplace... Whatever it takes I guess. Did I mention I don't drink anymore?
Old 04-13-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you told your addiction "no", BeBrave.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Argi I understand where you are coming from with slipping. I came close today over emotions. See my other thread from today for details if you care too. anyway, after I dropped my son off at his dad's I actually pulled over on the side of the road because I was crying so hard and wanted the pain I was feeling to go away and I'm conditioned that alcohol take the pain away. So I pulled over and I posted here while in my rage of emotions pretty much set on drinking. By the time I drove home I already had so much support from my post. And to see that you went through an emotional thing and did drink and now regret it, gives me more incentive to not drink either. It is never worth it. Now I'm calmed down, I've stopped crying and I'm not drunk. Had I drank, I would be at a bar till late and probably chain smoked. That would not have been good because I've been sick for 3 weeks and still have a cough. So it is so good that I posted here first. Thank you all so much classmates for your support. We are all trying aren't we. Much love!
Old 04-13-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Pain sucks
Old 04-13-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Glad you're here Veeronni!

Dee, thank you for the post this morning with great ideas for recovery plans plus helpful links. I'm going to build on your thoughts and improve my plan.

Sunshine, I'm so happy you made it through those cravings and dealt with your emotions sober. Despite what our AV tells us, alcohol only makes things worse in the long run.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Keep on doing the next right thing, sunshine72.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

JimmyJam, thanks for the image of the sober bus. When I went back to Day 1 yesterday I felt like all my "classmates" were way ahead of me and, and that even though I was still part of the class I was somehow now seated far away from everyone.

But your comment makes me realize I still am on the bus with you guys, and we're all headed in the same direction, and that's what's important.

Dee, Yep. Uh huh. Been seeing that plans link for several weeks now, and, well, have been avoiding it thinking (foolishly) that I could sort of wing it with my two or three go-tos for preventing drinking.

And we can see how well that worked out. I think I'm going to use your link to the PDF you mention at the end of "What exactly is a recovery plan?" as a springboard to creating a plan.

Having you guys believe in me also means a lot. So thanks fellow Marcher for being there.

p.s.
Welcome Veeroni! and congrats Bebrave on thinking before you acted. Sunshine72, I really draw strength from your posts about getting through hard spots without alcohol...And Frank14, your philosophy is so going into my toolbox: "Drinking isn't an option because I don't drink anymore."
Old 04-13-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

"I feel like I'm devising a military plan for a full-scale invasion of someplace... "

Thanks for that imagery, Frank14. I guess it feels like we're in enemy territory at times .

Marching on!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
"I feel like I'm devising a military plan for a full-scale invasion of someplace... "

Thanks for that imagery, Frank14. I guess it feels like we're in enemy territory at times .

Marching on!
I like the reference too. I often feel that I'm at war with myself. We are fighting for a better life. We are fighting with our own minds. It is a military plan for a full-scale take down of alcohol and we should treat it as such.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Just feel the need to say goodnight to all. Hard day here, but made it through. Time for slumber. xo
Old 04-13-2017, 11:25 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Good morning, classmates. It's been a while that I haven't posted here. Due to my unfortunate slip last Sunday (so arg, even though I had not directly commented on yours, I truly understand how you felt/are feeling - we're in this together), I'm now on day five but feeling really grateful and blessed for having survived the aftermath and emerged stronger than ever. I truly believe I can and will beat this thing and being here and sharing my journey with everyone and reading about yours is the best experience ever. Thank you all and have a happy Easter holiday!!!
Old 04-14-2017, 12:45 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

I'm on day 18 now and still taking it one day at a time. I still feel like a 'conscious incompetent' but I'm trying to make it through the stages until being sober becomes a simple way of life.

Strength and support to all.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:50 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have great sober Easter everyone

D
Old 04-14-2017, 01:12 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Oh god I feel like drinking today. Any guidance would be appreciated. Extremely huge cravings. :-(
Old 04-14-2017, 01:56 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi argill - would you believe that stuff like this is exactly why I recommend a recovery plan?

Life is full of sudden changes, or surprises and disappointment...and when the only tool you have for these things is drinking, the result is pretty much a given.

But a good plan with alternatives can be worth its weight in gold.

Something like
I will not drink before I ring someone, or post on SR.

I will not drink before I try something like urge surfing or thinking through the drink and 'playing the tape through to the end' or any of the other tips here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

I will not drink before I acknowledge my disappointment anger or fear etc - and accept that these are normal reactions and nothing that needs to be pushed away or numbed out.

I will not drink before I write a gratitude list of at least 10 things I'm grateful for.

These are just suggestions - I'm sure you could double this list.

Cravings and desires don;t have to be given in too. The first time I got through something tough and didn't drink was like a revelation to me.

I believe you can do it too argill - with a little more preparedness next time

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
In a desperate state almost going to relapse and re-read your post D. You have helped me more than you could ever know. I will not drink tonight. Love you to the moon and back. Thank you so much.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:59 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Posted and lost it a moment ago!
Hang in there, Mish.
Are there some distractions you can use, perhaps invloving each of the five senses? - regarding taste, I've found it helpful to have tart or pungent things - lemon juice, mint, pickles...
Or something relaxing - breathing, visualising something colourful...
Stay with us
Old 04-14-2017, 02:01 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Easter= triggers= alcohol. Post here, remember HALTS, get to meetings, journal, breathe- distract the cravings- hydrate, go to church- do anything but drink. Post here 90 times.
Support to all.