Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part 3

Old 04-17-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you can't go the whole step to making you house alcohol free maybe you could consider making it BYO Frank - that way folks get to take home what they don;t drink?

D
Good suggestion, but I'll just have to deal with it. I was supposed to have stopped drinking 2 years ago, so it would look really weird/suspicious to have them take the unused beverages home with them. "Sorry, Frank can't have any beer on the premises when you leave" would not go over very well.

Long story, but I used to brew beer extensively and used to have upwards of 40 or so gallons on tap at any given time. We were house hunting on Saturday and one house that we may make an offer on had a built in beer tap in the kitchen. I checked, and yep, it had a beer keg attached underneath. I just had to check, right? I guess this experience flooded me with my old memories and the hobby I enjoyed. Those days are over, I'm moving on...

Still on the sober bus even though I'm feeling pretty crappy mentally and physically.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Congrats on 30 days, JCNY.
Sorry about the problems with your wife. I'm sure she's feeling a little off balance because you're making such big changes. People don't necessarily like it when people in their lives change. I have faith she'll get with the program and support your fantastic new life once she sees how much better your life is now.
Thanks Tiles! She is supportive, just apparently not too keen on me having friends who are single. I honestly rarely go out without my wife and don't misbehave if I'm out with just my friends. Oh well.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by frank14 View Post
good suggestion, but i'll just have to deal with it. I was supposed to have stopped drinking 2 years ago, so it would look really weird/suspicious to have them take the unused beverages home with them. "sorry, frank can't have any beer on the premises when you leave" would not go over very well.

Long story, but i used to brew beer extensively and used to have upwards of 40 or so gallons on tap at any given time. We were house hunting on saturday and one house that we may make an offer on had a built in beer tap in the kitchen. I checked, and yep, it had a beer keg attached underneath. I just had to check, right? I guess this experience flooded me with my old memories and the hobby i enjoyed. Those days are over, i'm moving on...

Still on the sober bus even though i'm feeling pretty crappy mentally and physically.
don't buy that house!
Old 04-17-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was supposed to have stopped drinking 2 years ago, so it would look really weird/suspicious to have them take the unused beverages home with them. "Sorry, Frank can't have any beer on the premises when you leave" would not go over very well.
If a secrets stopping you from doing whats best for you, maybe it's time to consider not letting that be a secret anymore?

Is it a secret from your wife or other people?

D
Old 04-17-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

May I Join Please

Wonder if I could Join?

I'm sober for 25 days today. 40+ yr old Alcoholic on antabuse. Daily drinker and constant when not working including mornings. Also smoked weed daily which I've also quit.

I Attending AA meetings and have a sponsor and a good network of people. Have a sober girlfriend I'm not intimate with yet. We are waiting for recovery reasons. I used to float around here a couple of years back. And did ok. But I threw away 10 months sobriety and 2 years recovery work on a moderation plan which failed miserably.

Had a quick read of the thread and related to a lot. I also used to make home brew and spirits.
Will try catch up with everyone as they post.

Keep it up guys n gals.
Cheers
Gazza
Old 04-17-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you joined us, Gazza!
Old 04-17-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Welcome Gazza!
Old 04-17-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Hidely-ho, ninja-rinos! Glad to see everyone's doing well.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Welcome Gazza. We have a great class. Everyone is very supportive of their fellow Marchers(Ninja's). Together we are stronger then ever.........Jimmy
Old 04-17-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Hi there everyone! Took my lil' bro to his first SMART meeting. I thought he would be all shy and quiet. Boy was I wrong. He talked the whole time. He must have needed to get it out. I'm so happy!! Hey GAZZA! Welcome to the March Ninjas!!
Old 04-17-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Hidely-ho, ninja-rinos! Glad to see everyone's doing well.
Tiles you crack me up.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Hey all. Dropped the ball at 10 days again so not accountable. Just really busy with work. Texas is a tough place to not drink. They have signs to remind you not to drink everywhere. Yet the gas stations have tubs full of ice and beer. Excuses...
Old 04-17-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by letitgo View Post
Hey all. Dropped the ball at 10 days again so not accountable. Just really busy with work. Texas is a tough place to not drink. They have signs to remind you not to drink everywhere. Yet the gas stations have tubs full of ice and beer. Excuses...
Back on the sober bus you go. No man or woman left behind. You might try changing your routine???? Jimmy
Old 04-17-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Gazza

Let you had a fairly decent run of sobriety - what were you doing then you're not doing now?

D
Old 04-17-2017, 09:59 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by letitgo View Post

Everyone faces the same challenges. There's beer at every gas station, kwiki mart, bodega, grocery store, minit mart, wal mart in the world. Think about what happened at day nine or ten and come up with a way to address the craving when it comes up again.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:02 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Highlights of the first day of the five-day intensive meditation course I'm attending: I inadvertently set off the building fire alarm, got a parking ticket even though I paid the parking fee (but didn't put the correct side of the receipt up on the dash) so my $10 parking fee is now $40 total, oh, and, yeah, after the day ends and I get back to the place I'm staying I have a sudden onset panic attack (heart palps, etc) that lasted for hours.

Not terribly Ninja-like I fear. But, my inner ninja did come out and kick some AV butt when I had a really strong desire to stop at the wine store on the way home. Shut AV right down. I think I caught it off guard with the fortune teller outfit...

Mish, congrats on the 4-week milestone. Like you and Sunshine, I, too, am finding that some dynamics in close relationships are shifting now that I'm more in the present. Some good stuff, but some stuff that I'm now going to have to deal with that I previously had been blissfully ignoring through the drinking haze...

NapsteR1, how funny your racing bike is a Kawasaki Ninja. If it looks anything like what I saw online, I think we all need to get little miniature versions to chase AV around in our heads. (I say that in part because there is no way I could survive the shortest of rides in the real-sized one...how the heck do you guys lean over that far and not spin out????)

I'd be curious to get that iced tea recipe BetterIsBetter if you'd be willing to share. I mostly drink water or fizzy water now but would like to get a few more tasty go-tos for the summer (that aren't too sweet).

sunshine, that you got your brother to agree to go to a SMART meeting, and then that he was so into the meeting was such a great story to read. You are a good big sister.

Caramel, and letitgo, Sorry to hear you had a couple of slips; but I'm really glad to see you back.

And Welcome Gazza to our March family!

I'm tuckered; going to go try to get some sleep. Nighty night ninja-rinos (Tiles, ROTFL when I read that...)

Last edited by argillaceous; 04-17-2017 at 10:04 PM. Reason: corrected acronym
Old 04-18-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

I haven't been here much because I wasn't too sure I'd last all that long but I'm on Day 30 now and feeling OK so thought I'd say hi again, and hopefully I will be a member of this class for ever more!
Old 04-18-2017, 04:06 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Aleric

D
Old 04-18-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Hi all!
I have not posted for a few weeks but wanted to check in with everyone. Have read everyone's posts and caught up with you all. I was wonderful to see that the people that have slipped got right back to the group and continued on. Good going! Every day sober is a day heading in the right direction and towards a life completely w/o alcohol.
Two things that came to mind:
On Easter I found myself sitting with friends after having a huge dinner. We were all telling stories and I realized that I was laughing and having a wonderful time w/o any alcohol. I was the only non-drinker and it did not matter. I was happy and I felt so good about myself. It was empowering. Life w/o alcohol is really okay. Actually, better than okay. Really good. No later regrets, no obsession about alcohol. (I decided to stop drinking after the last Thanksgiving dinner mess that I made spilling the gravy all over the kitchen and all over myself because I was drunk) This holiday was so much better.

Also, I just got back from a run. If you are able try to get outside and enjoy everything it has to offer. It always makes me feel better. I don't know why I have a hard time getting myself out the door sometimes as, never fail, I feel great about 1 minute after being outside and moving.

Wish my hubby would join me in leaving the alcohol behind. He continues to drink every night and a good part of weekends. I find empty bottles tucked away, like I won't notice. It has made it harder for me, as he continues to drink alcohol in front of me whenever there are guests over and on the sly when he is just home with me. It makes me sad but I do understand that he has lost his drinking buddy of 40 years. I think he finally realizes that I am serious and am not drinking ever again. He did ask me just a couple of weeks ago if I was going to have at least a glass of wine every once in a while. My response was, "Either you don't get it or you just don't want to get it. I am not drinking ever again. I am done with it. I have had much more than my fair share and I am not going to be an old drunk!"
Thanks for letting me vent a bit.
Hang in there everyone. I am approaching my 5th month sober and feeling better - not all of the time, but much more so than when I was drinking.
IT IS SO WORTH IT!
Old 04-18-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Thank you for your lovely post peacefulintent. Congratulations on 5 months. That's wonderful! I have the same conversation with my husband. I can't blame him for not totally understanding as he doesn't know the extent of my drinking, but from what he has seen should be reason enough. He's supportive of my decision but still drinks.
My big trigger for wanting a drink is when I'm home alone. I wish I didn't think about. I get through the feelings but it annoys me that I feel like I need something to relax. Luckily tonight the whole Harry Potter series came onto Hulu (it's like Netflix if you don't know). So I found my chill out remedy for the next 8 days. Still though, I hate thinking about it and then thinking what to do instead. It's just part of the journey. The AV is getting louder over the past two days. However I can drown it out. I'm not going to discuss it!!

Good night 🌙

Hope you are all well. Have a great sober day 😊