Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part 3

Old 04-09-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by JimmyJam View Post
Welcome Aussie and Tony. Great group of people here ready to give support or just chat about life in general.
Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
Sunshine, thank you so much for your post. Acceptance is so hard for me. And I am very confused by it all. And obsessed. I cant think about anything else. I am frozen in time, and just lovesick.

I. did drink Friday, and yesterday and will likely today. So its day -1 for me. But I will be back tomorrow.
Thanks Jimmy.

Lofty I am so sorry your hurting like this , please don't pick up , sending strength.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Good for you Lofty. Changing our decision after we had already decided to drink is great sign of strength. As you said your friend won't be drinking so you don't need too either. Enjoy the outdoors and time with your friend. You head will feel "straighter" by the end of day.
JCNY - great way to start the day. The house to myself is my biggest trigger. It is so sad that we thought drinking was a good way to pass the time. Keep busy and enjoy!
Double digits is great Casey. Keep the count moving upwards.
Hope you are all well and have a happy sober day. 😊
Old 04-09-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Mish and Lofty - thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way.

Checking in on Day 35. Fought/prayed/meditated through some severe cravings Friday afternoon - that was always a big trip to the liquor store - and made it through just fine. We had old friends up for a visit that we haven't seen in many years yesterday. I felt very comfortable in my own skin, not drinking, and it was a total non-issue. My wife and our friend couple had a glass of wine each and that was all - I was pretty amazed at that. A nice reminder that that is completely impossible and not even desirable for me. I have two choices: continuing on the path I've created for myself over the past month+ or going back to daily binge drinking and all that comes with it. No choice at all.

You're all in my thoughts every day. Keep Rocking it.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Great job on fighting the cravings, BisB
Old 04-09-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Sunshine, thank you so much for your post. Acceptance is so hard for me. And I am very confused by it all. And obsessed. I cant think about anything else. I am frozen in time, and just lovesick.

I. did drink Friday, and yesterday and will likely today. So its day -1 for me. But I will be back tomorrow.
It's a double ****** situation, Lofty, but you won't have any chance at all at reuniting if you don't change, and that means you have to be sober, and not just for a month or two, but for life. By solving the first problem, you may have a shot at solving the second. If the marriage is too badly damaged, you may have to accept that and respect her wishes.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JCNY View Post
Good morning Marchers, it's about 7:30 here in New York. My wife and daughter are going away for 4 days. In the past that was a trigger, but my AV has been quiet on this so far. I think back to days I'd be getting home from work with no plans to drink and find out that I had the house to myself for a few hours, then out came the booze.....SAD

I hope everybody is enjoying the weekend. We are strong, we are sober
Great report, JCNY! You are on your way!!! I was in the same boat....I would count the hours I had to drink, count the time I had to sober up...count the hours I had until I needed to be semi-presentable for work. It was pathetic. I was barely functional.
There's so much to do when they're away. Buy a new piece of furniture and surprise them when they get back. Fix the walkway. Paint the gutters. Or buy records!!!!! Either way, it's all good as long as you're sober. Rock on, SoBro!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:15 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Hi Marchers.

Good news, bad news.

Good news: Mr. Arg was away for the weekend, first time since I got sober, and in the wee hours of Saturday morning (up with pain) I gave myself permission to drink Saturday night. But when the time came I decided not to drink. So that's good. And, today is Day 15, so that means that I have surpassed the number of non-drinking days I had since I first made the commitment to quit Feb. 24 (13, and then 11).

Bad news: I am feeling very, very unsteady these days. I know that's just AV trying to set the stage for a relapse, but it's how I'm feeling. My seemingly relentless chronic pain issues, which I was medicating with alcohol, are an easy way for AV to get in.

I feel stuck between two worlds.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:47 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try and remember the AV no body, no arms,. no legs...not even any intelligence besides animal cunning...

it needs you to get what it wants.

You can refuse...and there's nothing the AV can do about it - it may scream and metaphorically throw things about...but like any toddler tantrum it'll end

you can do this argillaceous

D
Old 04-09-2017, 09:59 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I really needed to hear that. Have copied it to an electronic post-it to look at when I have this unsteady feeling (which lately feels like it's creeping in more and more).

No body, no legs, no arms...needs me to do its thing and I can say no. Got it.

Last edited by argillaceous; 04-09-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: sentence restructure
Old 04-09-2017, 10:42 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Administrator

brilliant

D
Old 04-09-2017, 10:53 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Just a quick check-in. I finished the project I had to do in addition to my taxes, so it was a productive weekend. I am feeling a little down/depressed, but no desire to drink. Drinking isn't an option because I don't drink anymore. I had some herbal tea and will head off to bed. I know the urges and real fight are coming. I've been down this seemingly easy path that lasts just long enough to convince me "I don't have a problem. "
Old 04-10-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Argi, as you know I can totally relate. You are stronger than the AV! And think about your making your body healthier to fight the chronic pain with treatment options.

BisB, congrats on Day 35! I hear you on the cravings, but just think it through to the next day, that's what I've been doing.

Oh, and today is Day 30 for me!
Old 04-10-2017, 04:47 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Frank14, good job this weekend!
Old 04-10-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Hello all! BE BRAVE day 30 for me too! Still at the beach. It's heavenly. Only urges I had are the random tiki bars around and we went to a bowling alley and there were pitchers of cold beer everywhere. Quick thoughts races through my head and then played the tape and snapped out of it. Life is good.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 11.

Glad you didn't drink, argillaceous.

Congrats on 30 days, sunshine72!

Good job getting thru the weekend, Frank14.

How's everyone else doing?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Day 1. Ready to tackle this thing and the many life problems that have resulted. And not to save my marriage, but to save myself. I have to get out of this funk, and to stop being a drunk is the only way forward.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Day 1. Ready to tackle this thing and the many life problems that have resulted. And not to save my marriage, but to save myself. I have to get out of this funk, and to stop being a drunk is the only way forward.
You got this Lofty. Try to stay busy and avoid any down time. Text here BEFORE you pick up a drink and wait for support.....
Old 04-10-2017, 09:50 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Starting day 11.

Glad you didn't drink, argillaceous.

Congrats on 30 days, sunshine72!

Good job getting thru the weekend, Frank14.

How's everyone else doing?
Doing good how about you. We shared some threads early 2016. Fellow Texan right?
Old 04-10-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by JimmyJam View Post
Doing good how about you. We shared some threads early 2016. Fellow Texan right?
Yes sir. Texan born and bred.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:13 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Day 12 and feeling good physically except I'm extremely sleepy. On the mental side I'm not doing quite as well. A little bit of depression is lurking around. It sounds like this is pretty normal. However, this is exactly what led to me drinking in the past because when depressed I just don't care. In any event, there's 0% chance of me drinking because...you guessed it, I don't drink anymore.

On a side note, my wife showed me something family friends posted on social media regarding their high school senior who is getting into some great college. It sounded like a lot of bragging to me. Did I mention how much I despise Fakebook? I don't know, It's probably normal to be resentful when someone is showboating and you're just trying to survive. Anyway, enough of my psychotic rant. I hope to check in tonight to see how everyone is doing.