Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part 3

Old 04-12-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Frank, I hear you about the music. I still enjoy listening sober, but I probably don't turn it up quite as loud. There's a current thread on a music forum I'm on titled something like "do you drink while you listen?" It's several pages long and virtually every response is - yes, all the time, I love it etc. I say a sober life is better- period!

I hope everybody is having a great day - JC
Old 04-12-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

I actually find music listening to be more enjoyable sober. I appreciate all the little details more, and I enjoy a wider array of music sober because my emotions aren't constricted by alcohol.

Some things, like late 70s/early 80s metal, probably lose some of the luster for me sober, but that's not really my go-to anyway.

I'm also a fairly active drummer, and everything about playing is much better; including listening to the other musicians (though, some people don't call drummers musicians, haha).
Old 04-12-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Day 1 again. I just want to cry. Caused by unexpected emotions that got the better of me and kept me from posting here first. Been in bed all day.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sorry you drank, argi. Glad you're back. Dust yourself off, figure out what you can do different next time, and keep moving forward. Day 1 is better than day 0.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Yes, get right back on the sober bus Argi. By the end of the month you'll exceed the 16 days you just accomplished and will have 33 of 34 days alcohol free. We will not drink today.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

I am really needing to hear this guys. I definitely don't feel like drinking today but I don't feel as strong going into this Day 1 as I did the other two prior. I'm trying to focus on the fact that this is a new day, and I can make it what I choose and approach it in the way I choose to. I just need to write that down and look at it every day so I do the same thing tomorrow and the day after and the day after that.

How quickly I forget the bad stuff. I wish I could invent some sort of hangover spray that I could spray on before I picked up and it would give me a sense of that hangover feeling (both physical and emotional) for 10 minutes.

Because it's "easy" (when you feel like crap) to not drink the next day. It's all the days in between the starting off and the time where I'm not thinking about it all the time that I have yet to beat.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Maybe it would help to actually write down or record a video or audio message to yourself describing in great detail exactly what happens when you do drink and why you don't want to do it anymore and then play that back to yourself when those thoughts come?
Old 04-12-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
...to actually write down or record a video or audio message to yourself describing in great detail exactly what happens when you do drink and why you don't want to do it anymore...
Great idea! Thanks CaseyW. I'm doin' it. Tonight. I'm going to do the audio version because I think that will be more powerful for me.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Argi, that's been my pattern: stop for a while then once feeling better start drinking again. It's the textbook definition of insanity.

I'm checking in a little early today. Another day and no sign of wanting to drink. In a little bit I'll be heading off to the lab to get some tests/blood work done regarding my hives. I'm absolutely convinced they will go away on their own after my body is able to recuperate from the poison I've been marinating myself with. Hopefully, they don't find anything serious in the tests.

Every morning I wake up and repeat the mantra, "I do not drink anymore." I've been saying this to myself throughout the day and before going to sleep. I honestly think it's working. Perhaps it's keeping the AV from getting a foothold.

When I reflect on the reasons why I've slipped in the past it seems the decision to drink always occurs well before taking that first drink. It's the insidious AV and the way we can start the process of thinking of drinking and the good times we had with our old buddy. Eventually we all need to come to that realization that it's a lie.

Onward to tomorrow...BTW the depression seems to have lifted for today. Woo hoo!
Old 04-12-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.
Sorry to hear you are back to day 1 agri. Why is it we only remember the first 1 hour of drinking not the other wasteful hours? Glad your back and continuing the fight.
Day 26 today. I've woken up in a pretty bad mood actually. Dog woke me up at 5:30, hubby woke me up 15 mins before the alarm (hate that so much) and now a snow blizzard this morning. My sober brain is running on overtime about all the things that I have postponed for so long. Just a grumpy morning 😡 I guess.
It's comforting to know that is part of the process and it will pass. I won't let it get me down any further!
Have a good everyone 😊
Old 04-12-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

argillaceous stay close to SR
I'm doing ok.
However, must never ever have coffee so late at night again - felt very excited in the early hours of the morning when I finally went to bed
Old 04-12-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Argi,

I'm glad you came back. What else can you do differently? What triggered it?

I've actually been enjoying music more and really thinking about the lyrics. I like that. I've been a little down, nothing terrible though.

Sandy, sorry about your crabby morning.

End of Day 32 for me.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:02 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Day 17 here in the UK.

Support to all my fellow March 17'ers
Old 04-12-2017, 11:27 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Administrator

BeBraves question is a good one argillaceous - what could you have done differently do you think?

D
Old 04-12-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Day 2 Sober...

Thrilled to have found this site. I enjoy the anonymity and availability!

I started my journey as a teen heavily binge drinking... In my early to mid twenties I cut down to social functions and outings. At 26-27years old I took a turn for the worst when my mother passed away.. For the last 12 years Ive tried to keep it under control.
I went from a size 8-10 140lbs 5'10" to a size 14-16 200lbs .... by drinking a very large amount of wine, beer or rum 7 nights a week. I have luckily managed to keep it nightly however my nights can sometimes start at 2pm if the weekend is right.
I haven't had an epiphany or (thankfully) any known health conditions that Im aware of.... just the fact that I will be turning 40 this year and I have so much I want to do with my life and drinking nightly is holding me back in sooooo very many ways.
I want to eat good, sleep well and have energy! I want to not be so foggy headed, irritable and moody if other things are cutting into my drinking time. Even more so, the ability to save $$ would be extrordinary.
I am very anxious, scared and excited.
Thankful to be here. 😊
Old 04-12-2017, 11:42 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Veeronni

D
Old 04-13-2017, 12:39 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Dee, yes Bebrave did ask a good question. But when I think about it, I'm not sure I have an answer of what I could have done differently.

The trigger was that my husband at the last minute wasn't going to be able to accompany me on the 10-hour drive to the chronic pain meditation seminar I'm attending next week. Plus, we were going to have a couple of days of just us time, which we desperately need.

And I just sort of emotionally snapped. I just couldn't deal with the thought of having to do it all alone. So I drank without so much as a second thought.

I think that's why I felt so despondent starting over again today. Because I felt like it was the first time I didn't have a measure of control before I picked up and that terrified me.

It was helpful being able to post on SR here and in the Weekenders thread. I started to an ounce of hope again. (The irony in all of this: it turns out my husband can come, and it was due to my oversight that it appeared like he wouldn't be able to). But I'm still scared. I know AV needs me to get to the alcohol but I feel like my body was hijacked.

Going forward, I'm going to start actually writing out a plan (I've sort of developed one in my head, but not formally put pen to paper). And then to just keep reading and posting here. That's gotten me farther than I've ever been before. I have to trust the process.

Last edited by argillaceous; 04-13-2017 at 12:41 AM. Reason: added sentence
Old 04-13-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Maybe it would help to actually write down or record a video or audio message to yourself describing in great detail exactly what happens when you do drink and why you don't want to do it anymore and then play that back to yourself when those thoughts come?
What a fantastic idea Casey. A video would be pretty powerful stuff...Especially on Day 1 when the feelings are still so raw.
I'm feeling a little better today. Depression is so so so awful but I know it will pass. Day 25 today. The blues take a toll on my mental clarity so I can't wait for the fog to pass. And can't wait til the puffy eyes from all the crying disappear.
Made spaghetti Bolognese tonight...Tasted like cardboard to me but hubby seemed to enjoy it.
Love you guys. We are stronger together. I'm off to bed xxxx
Old 04-13-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by argillaceous View Post
Dee, yes Bebrave did ask a good question. But when I think about it, I'm not sure I have an answer of what I could have done differently.

The trigger was that my husband at the last minute wasn't going to be able to accompany me on the 10-hour drive to the chronic pain meditation seminar I'm attending next week. Plus, we were going to have a couple of days of just us time, which we desperately need.

And I just sort of emotionally snapped. I just couldn't deal with the thought of having to do it all alone. So I drank without so much as a second thought.

I think that's why I felt so despondent starting over again today. Because I felt like it was the first time I didn't have a measure of control before I picked up and that terrified me.

It was helpful being able to post on SR here and in the Weekenders thread. I started to an ounce of hope again. (The irony in all of this: it turns out my husband can come, and it was due to my oversight that it appeared like he wouldn't be able to). But I'm still scared. I know AV needs me to get to the alcohol but I feel like my body was hijacked.

Going forward, I'm going to start actually writing out a plan (I've sort of developed one in my head, but not formally put pen to paper). And then to just keep reading and posting here. That's gotten me farther than I've ever been before. I have to trust the process.
Hi argill - would you believe that stuff like this is exactly why I recommend a recovery plan?

Life is full of sudden changes, or surprises and disappointment...and when the only tool you have for these things is drinking, the result is pretty much a given.

But a good plan with alternatives can be worth its weight in gold.

Something like
I will not drink before I ring someone, or post on SR.

I will not drink before I try something like urge surfing or thinking through the drink and 'playing the tape through to the end' or any of the other tips here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

I will not drink before I acknowledge my disappointment anger or fear etc - and accept that these are normal reactions and nothing that needs to be pushed away or numbed out.

I will not drink before I write a gratitude list of at least 10 things I'm grateful for.

These are just suggestions - I'm sure you could double this list.

Cravings and desires don;t have to be given in too. The first time I got through something tough and didn't drink was like a revelation to me.

I believe you can do it too argill - with a little more preparedness next time

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 04-13-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 14. Gotta be at work early today so making this quick.

Welcome to Veeronni and hello to everyone else!

Have a safe and sober Thursday