Notices

Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part 3

Old 04-16-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

My hubs and I spent 5 hours on yard work. We have an inground salt water pool and got it all ready for summer fun! Had a "drinking" friend stop by today and she brought me a beautiful Easter Lily and some fresh eggs from her own chickens. She always respects my decisions to drink or not drink. But just being around her and feeling her positive energy made me want to keep the good vibes going with some booze. I even told her that but she was like nope we aren't doing that. Good friend indeed! I'm looking forward to planning an ice cream social/pool party soon. It's nice to see you all posting. Bebrave hope you are feeling less guilt. Napste good luck with new friend. wink wink!!
Old 04-16-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bebrave View Post
JCNY! Congrats on 30 days!

I'm sorry about your wife. Is she perhaps just scared that you'll drink and doesn't know how to just say it? Either way, upsetting I'm sure.

Napster1, so nice to meet a new special someone!
Nah. She's never expressed concern about my drinking and hasn't seem to even notice that I stopped. Kind of sad, but I think the fact that we sort of live separate lives within the same house caused her not to notice how often I was indulging.

Thank you for the congrats and get right back on that sober train!
Old 04-16-2017, 08:11 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days, JCNY.
Sorry about the problems with your wife. I'm sure she's feeling a little off balance because you're making such big changes. People don't necessarily like it when people in their lives change. I have faith she'll get with the program and support your fantastic new life once she sees how much better your life is now.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JCNY View Post
Nah. She's never expressed concern about my drinking and hasn't seem to even notice that I stopped. Kind of sad, but I think the fact that we sort of live separate lives within the same house caused her not to notice how often I was indulging.

Thank you for the congrats and get right back on that sober train!
Ha, that's how it was for my wife, then fiance. I didn't make a big announcement that I stopped drinking, and it literally took her a couple months before she said, "you stopped drinking, didn't you?" It was pretty funny. In my case it wasn't because we're living separate lives, but more because I was a secret drinker and went to crazy lengths to hide my alcoholism. Even now she doesn't know how bad my drinking problem was.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Hi Marchers,

Just a quick check-in to say hi. My sweet husband drove me almost 600 miles so I could attend a meditation seminar this week designed especially for people with chronic pain. I'm really looking forward to getting some strategies that will both help the pain and the constant battle with AV.

After hanging for a few days, hubby flew home today. Normally, being on my own in a new town would be prime drinking time; so far I haven't been tempted but am working on my formal plan in case I am.

Congrats to JCNY and SandyO on 30 days. Keep up the great work. Bebrave, I'm sorry that you got caught up in the moment. Having slipped less than a week ago, I know now that there are times when I need a plan for unexpected emotions that may rise up. It's great you came back so quickly, and you have that wonderful 35 days under your belt to build on.

Oh, and Sunshine,I love the idea of going ninja on the cravings. In fact, I think we should band together to become SR's March 2017 Ninjas of the Night, covert agents waging guerilla warfare on AVs everywhere.

Plus, I read that ninjas get to dress up in disguises such as priests, entertainers, fortune tellers, merchants, and monks. I, for one, could definitely use a change of wardrobe. Dibs on the fortune teller...

This guy below could be us (except for the fact that we're not ducks and this guy doesn't look particularly fierce). But you get the idea. : )

Stand down AV, the March '17 Ninjas are here!

Ninja.png
Old 04-16-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

March Ninjas!! I love it! Hit 4 weeks yesterday. Went out to one of the local waterfalls...Everytime I've been there in the past I've been boozed up so it was really lovely to experience the beauty of it sober. Hubby and I have been arguing a lot lately. Because I'm now "with it" mentally he can't just float along doing his own thing so it's going to take a bit of time to adjust I think. He's still bringing home bourbon which makes me angry because he knows how hard it is for me. And I'm asking him to do stuff now like fix the boys bikes etc...He got annoyed so I just ended up replacing the inner tubes myself. I want purpose and direction in my life and he seems to want to just sit on the couch day after day watching Netflix. Everytime I say let's take the kids fishing or go for a drive he's like "I'm not doing that". It's frustrating...Maybe we are on different journeys and my drinking was a way of avoiding it. Anyhow that's my whinge for the day. Let's have a happy and sober day Ninjas xxxxx
Old 04-16-2017, 08:59 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

I'm checking in late. I just had the extended family over and I have many cold beers in the fridge. Apparently they opted for wine tonight instead of beer. They drink so we supply them when they're here for parties/dinner, etc. I'm just reading everyone's posts to get some strength, since the past few hours have been sky high stress and now depression.

As the great Mike Tyson once said, "Everyone steps into the ring with a plan until they get punched in the face."

I know, I know, drinking is bad, not drinking is good. I get it. Now I'm getting belligerant...not good.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Why did you supply extended family with beer? I'd make 'em bring their own. Send 'em a little message, the gravy train is over.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you can't go the whole step to making you house alcohol free maybe you could consider making it BYO Frank - that way folks get to take home what they don;t drink?

D
Old 04-17-2017, 01:09 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
March Ninjas!! I love it!
Let's have a happy and sober day Ninjas xxxxx
Congrats Mish

Funnily enough my race bike is a Kawasaki Ninja ZX10r
Old 04-17-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Good morning all-- Day 2.

I don't work on Mondays so errands this morning and then making dinner for dear friends. They don't drink so not an issue. Then getting ready for the work week.

I'll check back later-- Happy Sober Monday everyone!
Old 04-17-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Happy Monday everyone,
Huge congrats to JCNY on 30 days, and everyone else who has a milestone...especially those who are picking themselves back up and giving it another go. You can do this.

I'm on day 43. Played a gig Friday, and went home happy while everyone else drank until 2am. Don't miss that. Staying focused with podcasts and meetings. I've also developed an iced tea recipe that I love. Had it yesterday after working in the yard all day, and it was way better/just as relaxing as the usual beer drinking.

Onward and upward March 17ers.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:27 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Great work BeBrave.
Went fishing again today and guess what!! I caught a Barra!!!! It was too small so I had to throw it back.
Back to work tomorrow. Looking forward to getting my office sorted. It will be amazing to be clearheaded at work. Exciting days ahead. Love to all. Stay sober Ninjas. xxx
Old 04-17-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good morning class! Sorry I've been a little quiet in here the past few days. Been busy working at my job and at rescuing Zelda. But I've been reading and thanking every post and all is good here. Wishing everyone a safe and sober Monday!
Old 04-17-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Hello my fellow Ninjas! Love it Arg!! Feeling oddly great today. Like I used to after long term sobriety. Hitting up a SMART meeting tonight and taking my brother. He has a strong desire to quit alcohol. But he has created a life and reality around it so I don't think he knows how. He recently went to a few AA meetings. I was very proud of him. So I'm big sister and he even calls me sister. Maybe something will click. Maybe not. But he has agreed to go. Whoot whoot!
Old 04-17-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

and.... tomorrow I see a therapist. Not sure how I feel about that because I've dealt with all my crap with one before. It took 3 years. Not sure I want to re-hash all that again. My main intent is to get help with accepting and adjusting to empty nest soon. My weakness is everytime my son leaves I'm a wreck. It can't be normal. So we shall see what she has to say... And going to see my sister in prison on Thursday. I will have a new prison story for you all then. Last week's was that I wore a Guns and Roses Tee-shirt. And the guards made me turn it inside out because you aren't allowed to wear weapons on your attire. lol Who knew..?? Also, doing my work-out at Jazzercise Mon-Wed-Fri. I won't have an urge again until Monday, April 24th which is when my son goes to dads again. Luckily SMART meetings are on Monday nights. M'wah
Old 04-17-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
March Ninjas!! I love it! Hit 4 weeks yesterday. Went out to one of the local waterfalls...Everytime I've been there in the past I've been boozed up so it was really lovely to experience the beauty of it sober. Hubby and I have been arguing a lot lately. Because I'm now "with it" mentally he can't just float along doing his own thing so it's going to take a bit of time to adjust I think. He's still bringing home bourbon which makes me angry because he knows how hard it is for me. And I'm asking him to do stuff now like fix the boys bikes etc...He got annoyed so I just ended up replacing the inner tubes myself. I want purpose and direction in my life and he seems to want to just sit on the couch day after day watching Netflix. Everytime I say let's take the kids fishing or go for a drive he's like "I'm not doing that". It's frustrating...Maybe we are on different journeys and my drinking was a way of avoiding it. Anyhow that's my whinge for the day. Let's have a happy and sober day Ninjas xxxxx
Same here. It's so dull, boring and stagnant. We see things more for what they are when sober. But... I love him and intend on spicing things up.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Being scrupulously honest here, I'm at Day 2 after some drinks during the weekend. I'm aware of the convoluted discussion I had with myself to "justify" it and can see clearly where that might have led. I do not wish to turn that back into a regular habit. I'm feeling positive, feeling well, just being honest.
On another note - I've just listened to the podcast of Prince Harry in his interview about mental health. So proud for him that he was able to speak publicly about his experience and the actions he took to deal with it. Such an important issue to bring into the light of day, as it were.
Take care, all us ninjas
Old 04-17-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Caramel it takes courage to come here and be honest. I know first hand. Good job and just keep trying. You will get it.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

You guys have a great class! Keep supporting each other and moving forward. Kudos!