Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 7

Old 03-02-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Morning all. 3.15am here in quiet Queensland and alas I am wide awake. Hmmmph! I mentioned in an earlier post I was getting 7-8 hours sleep most weeks, well obviously this week is one of those where I am averaging 5-7 hours.
Not to worry though, I am fairly sure it's because I have the possibility of making some pretty massive decisions in the coming week or so.... suffice to say, I have a lot going on in my head right now.
Tnek, I relate to your business trip thoughts and potential stressors. Usually when I travel for work the downtime is made up of liquid flowing dinners. Very impressed you managed to get through it at week 2. This time around you will be totally fine, no white knuckling and that, my friend is testament to how far you have come on your recovery
I need a coffee and a catch up on some crime docos before I head out on my morning walk, so will check back on here later and hopefully work out how to show you lovely people some of my art work.
xoxo
Old 03-02-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I just had a rough time getting home. I had really bad cravings hitting me out of the blue and I was hungry and tired. On my way home I have to pass at least 25 shops that sell liquor and I had to be careful not to "make an exception" as my AV suggested. But I made it home, now I'm safe.
Last week I ate a piece of chocolate with marzipan filling, it tasted a bit boozy and I saw on the package that there was alcohol in it. I didn't eat another one of course but I didn't stress too much about it cause I thought it's so little alcohol in it, it won't affect me anyway. Now I think maybe I was wrong. Maybe that refreshed the memory of drinking in my brain and caused the stronger cravings I'm experiencing now. I definitely have to be more careful in the future.

"I don't want to hide, I want to be visible with a voice and with something to say that is meaningful, and I'm finding that by removing alcohol I'm heading in that direction. "

You've put that really nicely. I don't want to hide anymore either. Afterall I just want to be loved and respected and I think that's not possible when you're invisible.
Sorry to hear about your cousin

Poppy that's interesting! I never knew the difference between a maze and a labyrinth, I always thought they were just synonyms. I'd love to see some of your artwork. I'm painting on a 1.5x3.2 meter piece of fabric at the moment which I'm planning to put up on one of my walls. It's taking literally ages though, I think it's the biggest project I've ever done. Maybe I'll upload it when it's finished.

Congrats on 15 weeks Solly

Sending you some extra strength and serenity for the trip tnek! When I found myself "trapped" at the airport and on a plane at 10 weeks sober I found that extremely exhausting and difficult. I hope it's easier for you this time!
Old 03-02-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Steely, so sorry to hear about your cousin. Sending good thoughts your way.

Poppy, can't wait to see your artwork when you get it uploaded.

Tnek, good idea to exercise while on your work trip. That does wonders for me every day.

Kevlarsjal, good job not giving in to the AV. It's so hard when alcohol is all around and you are having cravings. Stay strong!

Well, today is day 100 for me! When I first started this journey, 100 days was my goal. I thought that if I could go 100 days without alcohol, then I must not have a problem. What a difference sober time makes! This time alcohol free has shown me that I had a major problem and just couldn't see it from the haze I was living in.

My life has changed immensely in such a short period of time. The goals I had been putting off for 20 years seem much more possible at this point. My evening have changed into times of real relaxation with music, reading and lots of sugar intake. I have found a love of coffee and tea that wasn't present before. Walking, weights and yoga have helped me to focus on health in the past few weeks. I'm going to focus on my diet and health over the next 100 days (and try to cut down on the sugar).

This journey has been pretty amazing so far. Can't wait to see where it takes all of us over the next few months!
Old 03-02-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Haha yes that's true rainy. I was much the same. When my therapist told me I'd have to stay sober for 6 months before we could start working on my traumas I felt so discouraged. I remember saying to my BF "how can she say 6 months?! That's so cruel, half a year without alcohol is totally impossible!" Well now less than 50 days away from that milestone. Never thought I'd make it this far.

In the first days I was still convinced I wasn't a "real" addict and I thought if I make it through November without a drink I could have a mulled wine on the Christmas markets as a reward. I didn't get the concept of alcoholism at all, I thought it was only the binging and the daily daytime drinking that had to stop and I could still have a glass of wine in social situations every now and then. Now I don't even feel like trying if that works.

Congratulations on 100 days, that's an amazing number isn't it?

I love it too, that I'm able to do something nice and creative to relax in the evenings now. Not just sitting on the couch pouring that wine.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats rainy and solly and anyone else hitting a milestone today no matter what it is

D
Old 03-02-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Sitting at wine hour with colleagues, but drinking sparkling water and feeling ok!
Old 03-02-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Nice one tnek. Maybe splash out and get a Lemon lime and bitters.... that's my go to drink when others are drinking plonky poo around me
Old 03-02-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Way to go Rainy. 100 days is so wonderful. Xx Huge hug. Xx

Old 03-02-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Great job, Rainy, on the big 100! I am right on your heels, and I can relate so much to all you've written. I'll give my "synopsis" on my official "100"!

On another note, I know some of us don't check the Newcomer's threads, since they tend to be depressing. I checked them out tonight, and noticed that one of our Nobender group has been struggling and is headed to rehab tomorrow. I share this in case you may want to give some support.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:36 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Good one Rainy.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

I have no idea how to upload an image on here. closest I can see is insert an image using an URL. These are photos saved to my computer, they are no live on a website.
Dee - are you around to explain how I can upload photos?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is pretty step by step Poppy

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...our-posts.html
Old 03-02-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Think I might have figured this uploading out. lol. Here goes.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Prettygirl.jpg (87.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-02-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

And another.
Attached Images
Tree.jpg (91.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-02-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

My zebra painting
Attached Images
Zebra.jpg (96.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-02-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

A mask I painted in therapy last week. I will stop uploading now. lol.
Attached Images
Mask.jpg (71.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-02-2017, 09:38 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's all really cool Poppy

D
Old 03-02-2017, 10:26 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your art, Poppy. I love all of them...especially the tree and zebra paintings. I missed the art gene and got the math gene instead. Needless to say, I'm a little jealous of anyone who is an artist.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:02 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Old 03-03-2017, 12:05 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Poppy those are flipping gorgeous! Love the mask! the zebra has so much personality in his face, really nice!

Sorry I have not been keeping up with everyone like I should. Kevlarsjal, my AV has also been kicking up in a scary fashion. Its the complacency in me, I am sure. Its interesting though, my addiction has been plotting and planning to buy a bottle, (just a little one) but when I am at the store and the opportunity is there, I have no desire, need or want to go to the wine aisle, a state I didn't think I would ever get to. strange

Steely I am so sorry for your loss, hugs and love your way.

And to Rainy, congrats on the big 100!!
Jill wink- thank your the heads up on the newcomer thread I will check that out.
Solly and my Sober twin, November2017 thrilled that ya'll are doing so well and staying positive
My work still has not started the health program, I guess we have an orientation on the 15th for weights and measurements and what will be expected of us, I guess short, fat and round isn't exact enough,,,,,, sigh.

Congrats my Nobender family on meeting goals and generally finding a positive and happy light in your lives. We all deserve it!

Badge