Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 7

Old 03-07-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Steely hope you had a lovely day.
No dvt or blood clot in my knee thank god, just a lot of fluid and probably a sprain so I'm on prescribed anti inflammatory meds, deep heat cream for bed time and ice packs during the day. Ohhh and I have to keep it elevated for the next 24-48 hours to allow the swelling to go down and fluid to F off somewhere lol.
Health anxiety sucks big time. I use to have it mildly before I was in the grips of my drinking so I suppose it is normal for it to return now that I am not drinking.
Great to see you back Plenny, I hope the day 1 you recently had is your last. In fact I hope all nobenders have had their last day 1.
So a day of doing not much is on the cards for me. Hanging with the fur babies and watching Tele I reckon.
Will check back in a bit later on xoxo
Old 03-07-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry I missed your bday Steely - I was sick as a dog.
welcome back Plenny

I hope you will find some common ground too Abriella

Take care of yourself Poppy - hi November 152017, RainyPNW, Kimmy Badgerden
Old 03-07-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

I missed your birthday too Steely... Happy Belated Birthday!!

Poppy... You must be relieved about your knee. Sprains can be pretty painful. Take it easy for a few days and enjoy hanging with your fur-babies.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Hi Plenny, welcome back to the Nobenders! They say if you think positive, positive things happen, so maybe that can be your thoughts for you and your Bf. Have you been doing your art? that has always seemed to be such a peaceful thing to do.

Abriella- Granddaughters are the best aren't they!! I do not have a grandson yet, but I am sure they are just as great

Kimmy- how are you doing? Day 30?

Plenny I am glad to hear your knee isn't as bad as you thought. Good time to relax and catch up on some books.

Happy Belated Birthday Steely!!!!

Stay strong and Happy Nobenders!

Badge
Old 03-07-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Hi all, just wanting to check in and to say Plenny, that November is the month that the journey began so hope you decide to stay in Class. We need all the artistes we can get

Glad no DVT Poppy, great news. They are a bit of a scary prospect that's for sure.

Was thinking about what your Mum said K and it's so disappointing. Mine used to do, and say stuff like that too. It's deflating. I don't get it, but we'll continue to grow irrespective. Study is great, enjoy.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Hope you are feeling better Dee.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:43 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Happy birthday Steely!

Thanks for the warm welcome all. Badgerten, art has stayed steady through these ups and downs. But, I make a lot more art when I am sober.

For now, I am very tired. I have been sleeping great the past few nights.

I'm a bit nervous because I received a promotion offer from one of my jobs. I am very happy about it, as it is a pretty healthy and supportive atmosphere and I would have security. My other job is also good, working for and with people I really like. But if I stay there, I'll end up working late nights. And a lot of my coworkers do drugs. And I am not safe in that atmosphere. It's high risk for me. So I know that I know what to do. But, I'm dreading the conversation I'll be having with my employer. I'm a ball of nerves. Quitting always gives me nerves.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:11 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anything thats beneficial for you recovery is a good thing
I understand the nerves but I know you'll get through it Plenny

D
Old 03-08-2017, 12:29 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, Plenny, putting yourself first can be an awkward scary situation, but the relief I am sure will be huge. Sending all the confident vibes your way!

Badge
Old 03-08-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Hi Plenny,

Are you anxious about telling your employer that you have a drinking problem? I know these sort of conversations can be nerve wracking but I always try to hold the position that 'alcoholism' is as valid as any other health reason to decline a particular job, anything.

Any employer worth their salt should imo take the same position. Besides, we've stopped, so you should get a double promotion

On the one hand we are told it is a 'disease' like any other, yet still it holds negative, judgemental attachments making us shamed or embarrassed to speak its truth.

I want to see these attitudes banished from the face of the earth and make a point of holding my head up high when having to disclose. I figure that unless we do this, 'alcoholism' will always be seen as something shameful, and take it as my 'duty' to turn these attitudes around.

It's hard enough as it is without social attitudes being allowed to remain the the Dark Ages. We want out of the Dark.

Is there anyway you can take the job without getting caught up in the drinking culture?

Good luck Plenny.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:29 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Happy (late) Birthday, Steely!

Plenny, the promotion sounds like a very good thing for you right now. I understand the anxiety with the situation. Just know that the end result seems like a much better place to be. I'll be sending good thoughts your way this week.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Hello lovely nobenders
4.30am here in Queensland, wide awake and ready to kick start my day.
My knee is on the mend, I can walk without looking like a pirate with a peg leg. My hubby has a new nickname for me which is where I got that analogy lol.
Plenny, I know exactly how you feel re work situation.... I too am having to remember to put myself first regardless of how uncomfortable situations (resigning) may be whilst doing this. At least you KNOW in your heart it's the right decision. Can you resign by letter (sent via email) and then go in and chat to the boss about it? Might take the pressure off a wee bit
I'm one day off 4 months peeps, so 119 days. I am a little scared my resolve will slip, when I went to the doc on Tuesday he asked whether I drank and I said nope. Very proud of being able to say that.
Then he asked if I smoked, and I said yep but my plan is to quit this year. Soooo then he says I'm better off quitting smoking than drinking because our bodies can deal with alcohol easier than smoking, obviously normal drinking. This dude doesn't know my history so I can't really blame him for saying something that technically might be true but it did plant a little seed in my head.
Anyhoo, I haven't slipped so I should be stoked about that.
Art therapy today for mwah. Day 3 of not being able to go on my morning walk
I hope everyone is going great guns this Thursday and in a good place both physically and mentally
xoxo
Old 03-08-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Congrats Angie on your 4 month soberversary WOO HOO
Old 03-08-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Administrator

squash the seed Poppy

D
Old 03-08-2017, 01:53 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Hey Peg Leg good your knee is on the mend.

I go thrown that curve ball too Poppy.

Doing a yearly medical for my employer and was told, 'twas better to drink than to smoke. He didn't know my history either, but it did give the old AV another desperate rationalisation.

Started to think, "yeah, he's right, smoking is really bad, and he's a doctor and everything, my drinking wasn't that bad, blah blah blah. And then I remembered...the grim reality.

Four months tomorrow Poppy, and you'll be prouder still.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Thanks for your birthday wishes rainy, and hope you are travelling well.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Seed is squashed. I kept telling myself it's just not worth it, 1 won't be enough and I am not starting this journey over.
Plus, a lot of long term sober peeps on here all say the withdrawals and aftermath of relapse gets worse and worse each time and I believe them.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Thanks for the pep talks all.

I'm not worried about telling the job I'm leaving about the risk factor I foresee, just worried about letting them down since I care about them and I had told them I could commit. I simply discovered I'm too tired for their lifestyle and I don't think I can be around drugs.
The new position at the other job is much more hospitable and gentler hours. It's still service industry but a much healthier environment.
I'm meeting in the morning to break the news so I'm pretty nervous

Hope you're feeling better Dee
Old 03-08-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm fine today thanks Plenny

D
Old 03-08-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Hi all. Happy belated birthday, steely.

Survived the work trip, without any real cravings. Went to the gym only once, but boy was it great to wake up every morning hangover free, and able to attack the day! I could focus on the dinner conversation (and the food), instead of what number of drink I was on, and how many more I could have.

Good to be home though.