SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 7 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/405178-class-november-2016-support-thread-part-7-a.html)

Dee74 02-21-2017 05:33 PM

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 7

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-6-a-21.html

PhoenixJ 02-21-2017 05:37 PM

Thanks

Poppy79 02-21-2017 05:54 PM

Morning all :)
Quick check in, nothing to report other than my hormones seem to have settled down a touch.
Otherwise going strong on 104 days.
Take care peeps xoxo

Kimmy2002 02-21-2017 06:29 PM

Thanks for the new thread Dee. X
As Your saying good morning Poppy, I'm saying good night! X
Big hugs to everybody. ❤️ Thinking of you all.

rainypnw 02-21-2017 08:01 PM

Thanks, Dee!

Hope everyone is having a good start to the week. It has been a busy day here. I really appreciate sobriety when I have a hectic day. Life is so much easier at the end of the day.

Abriella 02-22-2017 07:10 AM

Good morning/evening all!

I had a great time with my granddaughters on Monday. Ages 7 and 4. They wanted to go see a movie, but nothing appealed to them. We ended up at the trampoline park where they (and a hundred other hot sweaty kids) burned off some energy. Pretty cool place, but I definitely was ready to go after 2 hours. After that, we stopped for ice cream and then went home. It was a nice day. I'm grateful to be sober because if I had been drinking, this never would have happened. No way could I have handled 2 hours in a trampoline park with a bunch of sweaty loud kids. :yikes:

It's going to be another beautiful day here. The first time in history the weather will reach 70 on February 22nd in northern Illinois... crazy!! I think a walk during my lunch hour is in order.

Hope everyone is having a great week. Much love to all. :grouphug:

November152017 02-22-2017 07:54 AM

Hello everyone.

I've been reading all your posts and haven't had much to add, except that it is heartwarming to see the support for everyone here.

Even though I don't contribute so much to the topics, it is a great comfort to read your posts, be part of this group and feel the compassion.

Big thanks to all.

Steely 02-22-2017 11:37 AM

This is Compassion Central, November :)

You sound like you had a terrific time at the trampoline park Abriella. It's a great feeling, getting back into the world.

I love being sober too. This is the first time in all my years of trying that I embrace sobriety, not reject it.

Am definitely going clean the kitchen today as found a coffee cup with a science experiment going on inside. :scared:

Ladyshipwreck 02-22-2017 01:24 PM

I thought I'd be typing away on here being that I'm mostly laid up... but truth is I am going through some pretty bad depression and don't feel like talking.
I'd never hurt myself. And I'm not thinking about drinking or anything.
I'm just in a very dark place right now.
"I don't wanna die, I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all" I can't say I feel that way, because I love my kids so much, but I totally feel where Freddie Mercury was coming from with that one.

Well I was upset that I've only lost 7lbs ,but I did some body measurements and discovered I actually lost a couple of inches since October. So there's my silver lining for the day.

Poppy79 02-22-2017 01:47 PM

Being in a dark place is no fun at all LSW :( I hope you come out of it soon. Someone suggested to me to write down things I am grateful for each day and place the pieces of paper in a pretty vase.(tip - use colourful paper, not bland ol white) Then when darkness starts to overshadow your thoughts pull out a few pieces of the paper and read them. It actually works :) sometimes only fleetingly, but it defs takes the edge off the depression. Might work for you?

Dee74 02-22-2017 01:57 PM

Do you have a Dr or a therapist LSW?

D

Steely 02-22-2017 02:18 PM

I find myself in a similar place Lady. It's the reason my kitchen is festering.

Find myself on the couch with little motivation.

I am overjoyed and grateful to sobriety, and don't want to ever drink again, but it has left my mind open to thought, reflection :) and it's a lot to deal with, all the remembering and all of the plans.

So much to do, so little time. It's depressing. Mindfulness helps a little and should practice it more.

I'm just not pushing myself Lady and trying to get little things done. Feel OK about slouching on the couch, forgive yourself, we've got this, and don't forget to see your doctor if you don't improve. :)

Well, too the kitchen and my next post will be to tell you how it sparkles. That's a motivator.

I really am loving being sober no matter how slouched.

Jillwink 02-22-2017 03:09 PM

Steely, how about make a goal of cleaning for 15 minutes? Set the timer and work constantly for those 15 minutes. After that time, you can reward yourself with a tv show, sitting down with a tea to read a book, whatever you choose (except alcohol :c001: I find if I know it will only be a set small amount of time, I don't mind it so much! Good luck!

Poppy79 02-22-2017 04:21 PM

Think I'm a bit of an oddball because I quite enjoy cleaning lol. Especially basking in the end result of pure cleanliness :) and when I get in a 'zone' my whole house is a target for me and my array of cleaning products haha.
Playing music quite loud makes it even better. Maybe try some tunes Steely to get your groove on.

Steely 02-22-2017 04:43 PM

Thanks Jillwink. Ive actually gotten a bit done, and am using the very method you describe.

I've emptied out cupboards and am cleaning drawers. The washing up is done and I'm listening to jaz on our national broadcaster, the ABC.

Taking that break you recommend JW, drinking tea and cool jazz. If I were drinking it would be very uncool, always.

It's hard to believe that I'm actually doing this thing, never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd LIKE it!

Finish my tea, have a smoke :( then back to the task at hand.

Thinking of you all :)

Steely 02-22-2017 04:56 PM

Our posts collided Poppy and yes, I love the place clean, uncluttered and organised too. When I'm depressed I sometimes can't get the motivation to lift a dish cloth and I hate it.

As you can see I have kicked off and you're right, it is satisfying to see the results.

Hope you are doing well and that you got to finish your painting.

rainypnw 02-22-2017 05:05 PM

I'm there with you, Steely, on the lack of motivation.

I needed that cleaning advice from both of you (Jillwink and Poppy). It is time to seriously clean house. I'm going to crank the tunes up (tomorrow morning) and clean for 15 minutes every hour until it's done. I'll check back in here to let you all know when it's done...accountability helps. :wink3:

LiveLikeGold6 02-22-2017 10:50 PM

I need the cleaning advice too gals! Back for a quick check in. Made it to 31 days today!! Feels substantial. A couple weeks ago I feel like **** but over the past week or so my mood has been evening out and Im learning a few things about me and my family:

1. My son and I both hate mornings and are usually in bad moods in the am. So, instead of trying to force good morning pleasantries Ive decided its best to casually and swiftly get us ready and out the door without too much banter telling him i love him and have a good day once i drop him at school.

2. I can no longer get mad at my son for being a child who forgets, challenges, and tests boundaries. Its my job to set healthy limits, provide structure, and FORGIVE him quickly when he doesnt meet or exceed my expectations.

3. My mood is a result of (mostly) my lifestyle choices and my inner narrative and im gonna try my best not to let others have the power to drive my inner narrative. My mom asked me if ive lost weight, my reply was im a beautiful young woman if thats what u mean. Stopped her in her tracks lol. Going to the gym and eating nutritious food feels good and i aim to do it often BUT i wont be too hard on myself when i dont meet or exceed my own expectations.

Alas, im completing a masters degree in social work and just finished 2 classes which puts 3 classes out of 16 for the degree under my belt.

Progress feels good.

Keep rocking everyone and thanks for letting me vent :)

Dee74 02-22-2017 10:53 PM

Congrats on 31 days LLG :)

D

Poppy79 02-22-2017 11:34 PM

Great post LLG :) congrats on getting further along in your studies and hitting 31 days. Woo hoo!!!
My zebra painting is complete I am happy to report. If I knew how to upload a photo of it I would cause I am pretty gosh darn proud of it. Definitely going up on one of my walls.
How does your kitchen look Steely? Sparkly Steely. That can be your new nickname lol.
Anyhoo, I'm off to start dinner and watch a doco on serial killers. Yes, I am a wee bit morbid like that but I just find them sooo interesting. Like, how in hell do they actually enjoy murdering others.
Have a good one all xoxo