Administrator

congrats martin and windancer

D
Old 11-01-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Windancer View Post
Greetings!

49 sober days today ....I think, anyway. tekink??? lol

yup, today is day 50 but it's not quite over! come next monday I'll be in uncharted territory. I've not gone longer than 8 week without a drink. At that time I thought I'd be OK just drinking on vacation. Of course when vacation was over the drinking continued on.

it was a long day today but overall OK. I stayed busy and ate well but I wish I had some ice cream right now.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:24 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Does anyone else keep having 'Flashbacks' to things they did while drunk? I keep going back over things and CRINGING! Rambling lat a colleague I didn't even know that well as we travelled back from a meeting on a train and I got increasingly wasted and loud, puking in public, stupid drunk texts.

And that's just the stuff I can remember, which is only a tiny percentage of what actually happened, I'm sure. Ugh.

Can't stop beating myself up about this.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  
Administrator

I might have said this here or somewhere else, but after a while beating yourself up over things you cannot change just gets self indulgent.

I'm not saying that to put you down or dismiss your pain SSOH but a lot of us would recognize the behaviour of dealing with something we cannot fix - and winding ourselves up so much that we drink over it.

It's the ghost of old behaviours,

If you can make amends make amends - when the time is right for all parties.
Then move on.

If you can't make amends do the next best thing - live 'right'.

There's nothing we can do about past events or mistakes, but there's an amazing amount we can can do with each new day.

It would be a shame to miss that because we were facing the other way

D
Old 11-02-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

Thanks Dee. I've also spent time cringing over things I've done or said while drinking (there is no shortage there!) Your advice makes a lot of sense. I will try to remember that going forward.

Day 13 here. I've lost 6 pounds since starting to quit two months ago, and I have made no other changes than quitting drinking. Just goes to show that those extra pounds are just the booze!

I was doing more organizing yesterday when I ran across something I thought was lost many years ago - our family home movies. I dug out a vcr last night and hooked it up to a dvd recorder so that I can transfer the tapes to dvd's. They start when my daughter is about six months old. I've got both my children's first steps, my newborn son in the hospital, Christmases, family parties, and on and on. They are particularly poignant because my son passed away four years ago. It was a very emotional night, and one where two months ago I would have sat there sobbing through several bottles of wine while watching them. Instead I was completely present.

I've only got a couple of hours done so far and there is still lots to go. I was messaging with my daughter last night and if I am able to get them on dvd's I will make a copy for her to give to her dad for Christmas.

Have a good one everyone
Old 11-02-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

I've been losing weight while eating twice as much, I'm already skinny so I can't really afford to lose it! my pants wont stay up even with my belt tightened as tight as I can.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

DAY 50!!!
Yes, I was yelling, but in a nice way
Old 11-02-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

There's nothing we can do about past events or mistakes, but there's an amazing amount we can can do with each new day.

It would be a shame to miss that because we were facing the other way

D
I will try to remember this! I think a certain amount of reflection on things done while drunk is helpful, as it exposes that drinking was not in fact fun after all. When tempted by a drink, I try to remember that this is where it leads. But I agree that too much of this thinking becomes counter-productive and backward-looking...
Old 11-02-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Well done on Day 50, Windancer! Worth shouting about! xx
Old 11-02-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Congrats on 50 Wind!!! Day 55 here.. 55 is my highest this year...time to beat it
Old 11-02-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Well done Windancer on the big 50
Old 11-02-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone!!! I am proud that I have gotten this far. Huge difference between me now and me a couple months ago. Thinking of it that way it's amazing really ... I can just imagine how I'll feel with many more months or years of sobriety.

And, go for the gold CAGY! 55 days is pretty awesome
Old 11-02-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by SomeSortOfHuman View Post
I will try to remember this! I think a certain amount of reflection on things done while drunk is helpful, as it exposes that drinking was not in fact fun after all. When tempted by a drink, I try to remember that this is where it leads. But I agree that too much of this thinking becomes counter-productive and backward-looking...
yeah, that's it

D
Old 11-02-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Great to see everyone doing so well.

Well done all.

It will be day 15 for me in about 40 minutes.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

congrats on the 5o Windancer!

I feel you looking back a couple of months ago is crazy. imagine what it will be like by the new year
Old 11-03-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

Just checking in. Day 14 here - now I can say "weeks" as in plural

Have a good one everyone.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HelenofTroy View Post
Good morning folks.

Just checking in. Day 14 here - now I can say "weeks" as in plural

Have a good one everyone.
We are at about the same stage

How is everyone today?
Old 11-03-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Living the life

Hey Martin. I'm on my third "day 14" since starting to quit in early September. I still find things that feel a little triggering. For example today at bowling someone needed changed so she said well I may as well go buy a beer to get change and I though "yum" but managed to put it out of my mind. Also a local winery was vandalized and they had to dump $3million worth of wine, so of course the news and social media is full of people talking about what a shame it is that all that wine had to be wasted. Sigh. But I am hanging in there and feel that I am at my strongest day 14 yet.

How about you?
Old 11-03-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HelenofTroy View Post
Hey Martin. I'm on my third "day 14" since starting to quit in early September. I still find things that feel a little triggering. For example today at bowling someone needed changed so she said well I may as well go buy a beer to get change and I though "yum" but managed to put it out of my mind. Also a local winery was vandalized and they had to dump $3million worth of wine, so of course the news and social media is full of people talking about what a shame it is that all that wine had to be wasted. Sigh. But I am hanging in there and feel that I am at my strongest day 14 yet.

How about you?
That is good news. You are doing very well

I have been offered beer a few times but have said no. I have been in many shops over the past two weeks and just got a non alcoholic drink. The shop I usually bought beer from must be worried about me, they haven't seen me in ages I am starting to feel a bit better in terms of drinking, I know it is pointless and if I have some beer now even though I will feel good for a bit I will feel much worse the next day and probably have another meltdown.

I am enjoying seeing little improvements in my recovery and don't want to have to start again.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to both you guys on 2 weeks

D