Old 11-12-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HelenofTroy View Post
Hang in there Martin. You got this!
Old 11-13-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

Martin how did you make out last night? Windancer I hope you get a chance to check in soon - you are missed! Hope everyone is doing well. I'm having a lazy Sunday morning laying in bed with a coffee, the hubby and the fur babies lol. Feeling grateful and blessed.

Have a good one everyone
Old 11-13-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Living the life

Martin I wish I would have thought of this last night, but one thing that has helped me to not drink is finding something alternative to drink that I like. I like wine and beer and whatnot, and I wasn't a pop (soda) drinker (unless it had rum or vodka in it), so trying to find an enjoyable substitute (because if it's not enjoyable you will resent not drinking) was key. You mentioned that you like beer, so I'm wondering if there is an acceptable near beer that you would like. They do come in different varieties now. Or maybe something completely different - I've been enjoying the fruity sparkling water drinks. Just a thought. Think of it as a research project lol
Old 11-13-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

I haven't been on in a bit, the election has caused me to avoid the internet and I'll probably be avoiding it a bit for a while.

I hope everyone is doing OK and hanging in there.

I'm still hanging in there, today is marks 2 months sober! It's day 62 and longer than I've ever gone without a drink since I started drinking 25 years ago.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Well done tekink on 2 months
Old 11-14-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

Tekink two months is awesome! Day 25 here. It just occurred to me that I should hit 30 this week

Have a good one everyone.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Argh I had a long post and somehow didn't post. Haha o well. Happy Monday!!! :P
Old 11-14-2016, 10:13 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HelenofTroy View Post
Martin I wish I would have thought of this last night, but one thing that has helped me to not drink is finding something alternative to drink that I like. I like wine and beer and whatnot, and I wasn't a pop (soda) drinker (unless it had rum or vodka in it), so trying to find an enjoyable substitute (because if it's not enjoyable you will resent not drinking) was key. You mentioned that you like beer, so I'm wondering if there is an acceptable near beer that you would like. They do come in different varieties now. Or maybe something completely different - I've been enjoying the fruity sparkling water drinks. Just a thought. Think of it as a research project lol
Thanks. I usually drink a coffee. I've always wanted to see what non alcoholic beer is like but I reckon it'd be pointless. The alcohol taste is part of what makes beer taste so nice, for me.

Today is my 27th day. That's a lot (for me).

By the way we call soda 'pop' here too
Old 11-15-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

CAGY I hate it when that happens! lol You and Martin both sound upbeat - I am glad for that.

Day 26. I had a very weird and realistic dream last night. I dreamt that I was drinking wine. Heavily. I couldn't understand how it happened that I ended up with this glass of wine in my hand but it was there and I kept drinking it. Then I went to bed with my glass of wine and put it on my bedside table. I was so disappointed in myself for drinking and going back to day 1. It was one of those dreams where you just feel really bad and wake up feeling that way. It was so real that when I woke up I thought there would be a glass of wine beside me, and I was SO relieved to find that it had been just a dream.

I have the plumber coming this morning to fix a leak from where he installed a sink. Then all of my renovation work is done! I've been trying to make myself get out for dog walks. I feel better when I've gotten out for a walk but have a hard time motivating myself in the first place. It makes the dog happy so I should definitely be more disciplined about this. We walked last night and I have it on my list of things to do today, so we'll see how that works out

Old 11-15-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I haven't posted for a little while, as I felt I was being a bit of a downer and just saying the same things all the time... I'm still here, still struggling to get through this work project, but still not drinking.

I came across this today - you might've seen it before, but I thought it was pretty inspirational. It's photos of people before and after they quit drinking. Most of them have lost weight (obviously) - but the thing that really struck me was the way the light seems to have been turned back on behind their eyes.

Here's the link:

10+ Before-And-After Pics Show What Happens When You Stop Drinking | Bored Panda

Hope you're all doing OK.

Helen of Troy - I've had that "drinking" dream. Such a relief to wake up and realise it's not real! I find it quite a useful experience - you get to realise how annoyed you would be with yourself without actually having to do it!

x
Old 11-15-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting the link to the photos SSOH - what great transformations !!
Old 11-15-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Helen and SSOH - I too have had the drinking dreams. I'm on prescription medication to help me sleep which actually encourages vivid dreams, so they've been SO intense and awful.

It's kind of funny - in the dreams when I'm drinking I feel so panicked and shameful. There's no sense of the satisfaction or relief that I sought in drinking for so long. When I wake up, I feel terrified and insanely anxious until I realise that it was just a dream.

It reminds me that there's really nothing left for me in drinking. Whatever fleeting happiness it brought me is gone and I don't think I'll ever be able to ~enjoy~ alcohol again. Someone in AA told me that the dreaming means I've begun to accept this.

Anyway, today is day 57 for me, yay So coming up to Day 60/my 2 month anniversary soon. I want to celebrate or treat myself! But I'm not sure what yet. If anyone has any suggestions or wants to share how you've celebrated milestones I'd love to hear.

As always, sending good wishes and strength to my fellow classmates.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:17 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Four weeks today.

I've managed to save a decent amount of money in the time I've returned to SR, just wish I'd have tried doing that earlier but what's done is done. I do feel a little bit closer to sorting my life out. But still a long way to go.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

Tekink I'm also finding the internet a pretty hostile environment at the moment. If nothing else it's making me cut down on my Facebook time lol

CAGY I'd love to hear what's going on with you, I hope you give your long post another try Rob, glad to see you still checking in. Sending out a wave to SOS, PhoenixJ, Bobquin and Windancer.

SSOH, you have been struggling for some time but are still standing. I hope you are feeling good about yourself, you deserve that. I truly believe you will figure out the challenge of being creative while sober. Those pics in your link are inspirational! I'm glad I'm not the only one having drinking dreams. Bikube, you describe it exactly the way I feel! And no, there was no pleasure in it whatsoever. I felt disgusted with myself and woke up feeling that way. I like the explanation from your AA friend. That gives me hope.

Martin congrats on four weeks! You are doing so well, I hope you find a way to treat yourself. I'm right behind you - I'll have four weeks tomorrow

Old 11-16-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.
So, I screwed up. I drank on day#60. I had two glasses of wine, got disgusted with myself, changed my mind and dumped the rest out.

And I think I need a new Sponsor. I don't feel comfortable talking to my current one.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Living the life

Thanks for checking in Windancer. In the words of Nikki Sixx, "It's not your whole life - It's only one day - You haven't thrown everything away."

You've got 60 days sober behind you, you know how to do this. Get back up on that horse (see what I did there? lol) and start again. We are all still here for you And by all means you need a sponsor you are comfortable with, you've mentioned issues there before, so do what you need to do about that. You've got this!
Old 11-16-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Hey Helen - yep, still standing at least and feeling a bit better! Trying to chip away at this project and hoping to find a way for work success / failure to define me... Easier said than done.

Windancer - I understand you're annoyed with yourself, but you threw the rest of the bottle away. You could've kept drinking - but even two glasses in, with your inhibitions lowered, you had the strength to turn back. Don't underestimate how huge that is. Well done. I personally don't think that going back to day 1 means that those other 60 days don't count - you've built up new habits, new strategies and new resilience in that time. Xx
Old 11-16-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're back Windancer.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone.
I'm trying to look at it as stumble, and learn from it so I don't trip again.