Notices

Class of September 2016 Part 4

Old 11-03-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Living the life

Originally Posted by Martin1 View Post
The shop I usually bought beer from must be worried about me, they haven't seen me in ages
Yeah I figure the UPS guy is wondering why he isn't delivering Costco Wine kits to my house anymore lol. But I totally get not wanting to start over again. I'm with you there. I just took the dog for a walk on this beautiful mild November night. Simple pleasures
Old 11-03-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Greetings everyone! I miss having everyone else on here so frequently

I had a few rough days where the anxiety and scattered thoughts and inability to focus has reminded me of a few months ago when I was a wreck. I couldn't figure out what was going on with me, and then I remembered I had run out of 5-HTP a couple days ago. 5-HTP is a supplement that I use for anxiety and depression and I've had better results with it than any anti-depressant I've tried (just my own experience ... everyone is different). So I went out and got some more today and now I feel the usual general sense of well-being again. So I was relieved about that.

I got back on track with AA. And I feel better for doing it. It has always been around this time in the past that I've dropped the Recovery ball because I've felt better and began drinking again (but every time, I swore a solemn oath that this time would be different and I would drink like a normal, responsible person at the right times, in the right amounts, for the right reasons etc). Ya so the point is, now is not a good time to ease up on my AA efforts and working the program. I spoke to my Sponsor about it (or she spoke to me about it lol) and I just recommitted and jumped back in to what I was doing before. I didn't stop going to meetings but I slowed to two a week and I've learned that is certainly not enough for me. I can miss two days in a row at the most, but not three. I get off balance and off track. And I start hating going to meetings again. When I am loathing the thought of a meeting it means I need a meeting. Strange I know, but every single time I drag myself out the door I always come back in a much better mood and Spiritually replenished. So I am proud of myself for catching myself on a slippery slope downwards and preventing an eventual relapse.

I guess I'll be getting a 60 day Gold Chip soon!!! wooHOO.
It's off to bed for me .. I want to get up early tomorrow. G'night!
Old 11-03-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Just checking in...

Day 39 here! I've been to AA a few times and I find it inspiring and helpful, but I'm hesitant to fully commit to finding a sponsor, working the steps, et cetera. Right now I'm content to take what I need and leave the rest. I've had plenty of bouts of stress and depression - I'm working on both fixing my marriage and finding better employment at once and I can admit I've cried more in the last month than I have for years before - but I haven't succumbed to temptation. One day at a time, "TIME" equals "Things I Must Earn," and let go and let God is my mantra each day. I'll try to post more frequently... I know it''s been a while. For now, I'm staying the course.

Last edited by Anustart; 11-03-2016 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-03-2016, 11:51 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Windancer View Post
Greetings everyone! I miss having everyone else on here so frequently

I had a few rough days where the anxiety and scattered thoughts and inability to focus has reminded me of a few months ago when I was a wreck. I couldn't figure out what was going on with me, and then I remembered I had run out of 5-HTP a couple days ago. 5-HTP is a supplement that I use for anxiety and depression and I've had better results with it than any anti-depressant I've tried (just my own experience ... everyone is different). So I went out and got some more today and now I feel the usual general sense of well-being again. So I was relieved about that.

I got back on track with AA. And I feel better for doing it. It has always been around this time in the past that I've dropped the Recovery ball because I've felt better and began drinking again (but every time, I swore a solemn oath that this time would be different and I would drink like a normal, responsible person at the right times, in the right amounts, for the right reasons etc). Ya so the point is, now is not a good time to ease up on my AA efforts and working the program. I spoke to my Sponsor about it (or she spoke to me about it lol) and I just recommitted and jumped back in to what I was doing before. I didn't stop going to meetings but I slowed to two a week and I've learned that is certainly not enough for me. I can miss two days in a row at the most, but not three. I get off balance and off track. And I start hating going to meetings again. When I am loathing the thought of a meeting it means I need a meeting. Strange I know, but every single time I drag myself out the door I always come back in a much better mood and Spiritually replenished. So I am proud of myself for catching myself on a slippery slope downwards and preventing an eventual relapse.

I guess I'll be getting a 60 day Gold Chip soon!!! wooHOO.
It's off to bed for me .. I want to get up early tomorrow. G'night!
I take 5-htp too for the same reasons. Def feel a difference when I forget to take it... Day 56 is over. Goodnight all.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:10 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Well done everyone for keeping going with this. I was thinking about the holidays coming up and I'm really grateful that I quit in good time to get a few months under my belt before needing to deal with temptations over the festive season. That's going to be tough. I will miss mulled wine, in particular - that was one of my favourite things about Christmas (which is probably a bit worrying in itself!). Maybe there's a way to make a non-alcoholic version - I will investigate!

One surprising side effect of quitting is that I remember my dreams much more clearly - perhaps indicating that I'm getting better quality sleep? I've had a few dreams about picking up alcohol again and then being really upset with myself. It's such a relief when I wake up and realise that it's not real - but a useful experience, as I get to feel what that remorse would be like for a moment.

Up nice and early today, so planning to be productive. Hope you all have a good Friday.

x
Old 11-04-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
I take 5-htp too for the same reasons. Def feel a difference when I forget to take it... Day 56 is over. Goodnight all.
I'm gonna try this. Thanks for mentioning it Windancer.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:29 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

Checking in. Day 15 here. I think CAGY, Tekink and Windancer are our class rock stars, all coming up on 60! Congrats!

Anustart, glad to see you still with us. SSOH I agree about having some time in before the holidays. In fact I may take a pass on one occasion where I know it will be hard not to drink. I will just tell people that I have another obligation that night. As far as the mulled wine substitute, I haven't found any near-wines like the near-beers, so I've been going with the fruity carbonated water drinks. Not the same, I know, but much kinder to my liver Oh wait - I just remembered I have mulled wine tea in my cupboard! Maybe that will work for you? Tried to post a pic but no go, but it's from Loyd's.

Have a good one everyone.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:30 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad some of you guys have found somethign that works for you but I recommend every do their own research - even something as seemingly natural as 5HTP can react with certain meds for example and may not be suitable for everyone.

5-HTP: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
Old 11-04-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

starting day 53 today, it's going to be a long day. Fridays are the worst day of the week for me, I tend to work twelve hour days on friday and it stresses me out.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Hope it's going OK so far Tekink. 53 days is brilliant.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats tekink

D
Old 11-04-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

I've been sober for 16 days, this is the longest I've gone since I came back on here in September I think.

I'm going to the supermarket in a bit.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Hello there people!
I'm doing alright I think. Heck, even when I don't feel alright I remind myself that if I was drinking it would surely without a doubt be plenty worse.

I'm kinda freaking myself out a bit, wondering if I am doing my Recovery Plan "wrong". But, as per usual, I think I am over thinking. If I'm sober, I am doing enough right. And the other mistakes I'm sure I'm making? I trust those will be presented to me to learn from and adjust too. I guess I'm just so scared of a relapse. Healthy fear to a degree... I should be scared of that. But not to the point of it ruining my time now, I don't think.

Few things I know I need to work on. Discipline, a routine, healthy eating, exercise. And for the love of Pete, I STILL haven't unpacked everything yet! I procrastinate so badly sometimes. But that's ok...I try to remind myself that I am a work in progress and such is life .

I saw a quote on Facebook that I really liked. I want to print it and hang it in my bedroom.

"I drank and partied like a Rockstar ... so it's only fitting I now do Recovery like a Rockstar ."

Thought it helped me keep up the Recovery momentum.
Have a grand day everyone.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:00 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Hang in there Windancer.

I want to try and sort my exercise and diet out too but I'm not gonna try doing too much at once, when I've gone sober before and done a week or so I've tried to get back into lifting and then I'm drinking again within a week. If I get to a month I'll set a fitness goal.

You're doing great

How is everyone else this weekend?
Old 11-06-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

It's day 44 for me - Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Day 59.. Cray cray. watching my Vikings right now and still in bed. Tomorrow is 60. But one day at a time... Tuesday may test me if Trumps stupid a** somehow wins. Ughh
Old 11-06-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great milestones guys

D
Old 11-06-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRobster View Post
It's day 44 for me - Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
Day 59.. Cray cray. watching my Vikings right now and still in bed. Tomorrow is 60. But one day at a time... Tuesday may test me if Trumps stupid a** somehow wins. Ughh
Well done both of you.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Day 69 today and very fed up. I'm not drinking, but I'm not at all happy about it. I wanted a glass of red wine so badly all weekend - I didn't have one, but I didn't manage to take pleasure in anything else either. Spent yesterday evening just lying in a ball on the floor waiting for it to be time to go to bed.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  
Administrator

what are you going to do to get out of the funk SSOH?

D