Notices

Class of October 2016 Support Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChucktownMC View Post
Hi all. Have been reading this forum for nearly 2 years - Just registered. I've attempted to quit a handful of times in the last year but fail miserably between 10-20 days. One drink leads to way too many, always. I'm so over it, it always leads me to a state of self hate and guilt. I just can't handle it - so no more drinking for me, ever. I'm on day 2 and just home from an AA meeting. Happy to join this October class.
Welcome to the team Chucktown! You sound just like me! Looking forward to seeing more posts-before I joined I'd been reading on here for 2-3 years too. It makes a difference posting and the support is great-lots of good advice from everyone. Well done on day 2 and getting to a meeting.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Goodnight to all. Off to read East of Eden.
it's great to rediscover your old hobbies isn't it?
Old 10-10-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
Had 12 days, been trying to get sober for 26 years, had stretches of 8 and 5 years. Will be trying new things, one of which will be frequent posting. Hope I don't bore you!
welcome fortress! Yes frequent posting helps me too. I find that it helps me get out of my self when my brain starts messing with me. Sounds like you have the sober skills with them years of sobriety but have just lost them somewhere along the way. I'm sure you'll get them back, in the meantime stick around!
Old 10-10-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ChucktownMC and fowards

D
Old 10-10-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Day 9

It's been another rough one. Work was tough emotionally. I'm pretty moody right now. I came home to a drunk husband, that made things so much worse. But on the plus side seeing him drunk makes me absolutely KNOW I'm not ever going to be that way again.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Welcome fortress! Post away!!!

Day 3 successful, had a stressful day, but that won't be changing anytime soon, so I'll be rolling with the punches. I did go to the gym after work which helps because now I'm exhausted. I'll be lucky to stay awake long enough for my tea to steep.

Big applause for everyone here today! Lots of positive outlooks, which helps me so much. I'm working so hard at being positive and it's certainly a tough road.
Night y'all!!
Old 10-10-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Hi all. Have been reading this forum for nearly 2 years - Just registered. I've attempted to quit a handful of times in the last year but fail miserably between 10-20 days. One drink leads to way too many, always. I'm so over it, it always leads me to a state of self hate and guilt. I just can't handle it - so no more drinking for me, ever. I'm on day 2 and just home from an AA meeting. Happy to join this October class.
Hey, welcome!!!! This is my 2nd stint on here, day 2 for me, great support from everyone!!
Old 10-10-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
Urgh just got off the phone from a meeting and the night out I went on got referred. One guy was saying he met up with some friends for coffee at the weekend, during the day though, not during the evening like I like to do. My stomach churned right up. I didn't know what to say-I was so irresponsible last week when out with work colleagues. I hate that it's got round to our other office. The guilt and shame is crippling! But I'm NOT going to drink on it!! ODAAT!
Yeah I hate it when people have done that to me, I just feel like crawling under a rock somewhere, but Dee is right, they'll soon forget & be talking about someone else!!!!
Old 10-10-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jade1224 View Post
Mandosca, will you be following a program like AA or something similar?

I'm just wondering what your plan is because I don't have one lol
I don't really have one either! I know I won't be joining AA or anything like that. I guess I need to start by figuring out what my triggers are and then how to deal with them. To be honest it's been fairly easy so far (with the exception of the hubbby) and I've enjoyed all the wonderful benefits of not drinking so much that I haven't had much of a urge to drink. But.... I know that can change quickly and need to be prepared.. Got any ideas? :-)
Old 10-10-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hipschick View Post
At work today I could smell last nights booze on one of the chefs....I guess I've not been able to smell it before. It was pretty horrible. It made me wonder if anyone has ever smelled last nights bottle of wine on me?
Good motivation.
Oh and thanks all for the welcome!
I wonder about that a lot.. How many times did I go to work hungover and smelling like alcohol and thought no one knew.. Ugg..
Old 10-10-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Welcome Chucktown. I was the same way, I would make it 2 weeks then fail, many times. I'm not really sure what was different this time is but it's been much easier. I've made it 22 days with the exception of one day. I'm actually pretty sure its been 28 days but my memory is such crap (drinking caused probably) that I can't say for sure if I drank the sat between 22 and 28.. Lol.

Anyways my point is that I think we all try and fail numerous times and then one day it just sticks and maybe is even just a tad easier. I think we need to fail a few times to get it right and to learn. I hope that this is your time! :-)
Old 10-10-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newlight7 View Post
It's been another rough one. Work was tough emotionally. I'm pretty moody right now. I came home to a drunk husband, that made things so much worse. But on the plus side seeing him drunk makes me absolutely KNOW I'm not ever going to be that way again.
I feel your pain. I had the exact same problem Saturday night and felt the same way about never wanting to be that obnoxious again. I'm glad that some good came from it for you! :-)
Old 10-10-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Got into quite the spat with the husband today, well it was mostly him yelling. My husband very rarely yells or loses his temper but when he does.. Yikes. Anyways it felt so good knowing that for the most part I controlled my temper and didn't let him continue acting like that in front of my son. Two months ago I would have completely blown up. Pre-drinking days I use to be a very calm person but over time it became harder and harder to control my temper so it felt really good to feel like myself again. And... He went to the bedroom to watch football so I spent the time with my son and whopped his butt at chess, FINALLY.. LOL.. that boy is good!
Old 10-10-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

It's actually a lot easier now that I've hit my third week.

I'm concentrating a lot on my health and my body and my future. Excited about all the possibilities. Grateful that I didn't ruin my life with addicton

Hopefully the rest of my sobriety will be this easy.

It's just a choice. Just say no
Old 10-10-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Day 6 - another day of meetings to look forward to!
Headache seems to be gone, but just feeling really tired
Part of my plan for today will be making a plan to start moving more again I think - we shall see how today goes - if I only get a long walk in that will be a start.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:20 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Morning all, great posts. Welcome the me class comers.
Just realised I'm on day 6 now. No drink or cigerettes, feeling vey well although tired but that's good as I just want to rest after work.
Have a great day everyone. Huge respect to you all. X
Old 10-11-2016, 12:07 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello to all classmates
Im sweating it out at the moment but trying hard to stay positive
Have a good day
Old 10-11-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Morning guys, start of day 4 for me. Woke up feeling well rested but really hungry. That's great for me-I neglect eating/don't feel like eating when I'm drinking. I'm taking it as a sign that my body is healing. The anxiety is still there but much more manageable than before. I have a lot to do today. But the focus I'm having towards not drinking is rubbing off on my work ethic it seems. One of my triggers is having an unproductive day at work, so I'm making sure each day counts. The one day at a time mentality helps-and today I'm going to be the best I can be!

Keep up the good work guys. Lots of really nice posts that keep me focussed on the task at hand. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2016, 01:55 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Day 4 begins

Not sleeping much...starting to worry about the uncertainty of work and having my license suspended for year probably. Got to stay positive and remember whatever happens drinking won't make anything better.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  
Mr

Like you said hewson you have to stay positive its essential....