Notices

Class of October 2016 Support Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Welcome, theVman31, asixstringnut, and winniegirl33
Old 10-03-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Day 3, feeling tired in a good way, at least I know I'm going to sleep better than I did the last two nights. Hope everybody is doing ok!
Old 10-03-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Welcome to all new Octsobermates!

Jankonman - early recovery comes with a wide range of body re-adjustments. As far as I remember I had headaches too, within the first week. But make sure you consult the doc if they don't go away or get worse, ok?

I was a functioning alcoholic too. A couple of glasses of wine were my prize for the day of a hard work. Fridays were "special occasion" . on which I gradually graduated to a bottle a night. I didn't see anything dangerous back then, but little by little things spiraled out of my control. I matured to two bottles.

Complicated topic about "love" and hate relationships. I think "love" is misconception here. It's not love, it's urge. Basic, instinctive wire for pleasure goes wrong. And we are ready to do whatever it takes to get that high.

Great for you to recognize addiction while you are still young and have the entire life ahead. You are definitely not losing anything - you are gaining a new world. And sobriety is not boring!

Hold on. It does get better.

And to all the newcomers - I second Dee - never underestimate the importance of a plan. Plan is not boring either. Think of it as a flight map. A pilot doesn't' question whether he can take a plane from Drinkland to Soberterra without it or not. It is just not an option to travel without a map.

Have a great day, all)
Old 10-03-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi all, day 1
Time to try again a lot harder.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:31 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
WWG1WGA

MidnightBlue thanks for your inspiring post. I have so much to look forward to, I know it's not going to be easy, life's not easy, but it's people like you who give me hope. Congratulations on 4 years, happy birthday! Thank you.

I love October, fall, winter my favorite seasons. I'm so excited to make October the month I finally decide to stop poisoning myself with alcohol. This drug addiction is a never ending trap and I'm excited to be onboard with everyone here who has decided to quit drinking as of this month.

Tomorrow (Tuesday) is day 3 for me. My body is still recovering after the 5th of vodka I drank on my own on Saturday. How stupid is that?! I'm so excited that I'm free and no longer a slave to alcohol. Today I kept telling myself something I read in another thread... "No one wakes up in the morning wishing they had one more drink" ...I changed it to "no one wakes up in the morning wishing they would have drank." It rings so true with me because the only experience I've had is wishing I wouldn't have drank. Also I've been working on identifying and detaching from my addictive voice today. I recognized it all day long and it was not happy with what I am doing! I'm looking forward to healthy sleeping, healthy eating, healthy thinking, and healthy feeling! This is my month! I've got it this time. I'm now a non-drinker, and I'm happy about my decision and glad we are here together. Much love to everybody here!
Old 10-03-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, October sobriety fighters!

Goneundone - thank you for your kind words about my post and keep up the good job!

Jimuk - I'd suggest - "win it" this time. "If you are just trying then failure is still an option". There are better options. Best wishes to you.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Mr

I was in the june class doing ok until last weekend. I had 3 and 1/2 months sober and left daily little problems mount up until they exploded. I think the first six months or so I just need to assure the sobriety part and find better outlets for work stress, anxiety and other drinking situations....
Its good to be part of a class again.
I have alot to learn.
But getting there.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Mr

Im on board for Soberterra.
2016 is the year of my plan.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Welcome aboard of October Soberlines, Vman!

Fasten the seat belt and have a great flight)
Old 10-04-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Day 2 coming to an end. Really need to find a job, having time on my hands is not good.

Hope your all battling on.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Kind Friend.
I was reading some of the featured stories and this phrase caught my attention : "Because alcohol increases dopamine levels, when you remove alcohol from your life, these levels can drop significantly. The long-term effects of alcohol on your mental health can include anxiety, bipolar disorder, depression and more."
Im actually wondering if maybe I need antidepressers to manage life for the first six or so months. 20ish years has to have left me a bit messed up. I suppose a Dr opinion is in order. I would be interested to know your opinions too.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Vman, I wouldn't rush with antidepressants to fix dopamine level.

The brain will fix itself once poison is taken away. Of course it will take time. But I think the entire idea is to become independent on external stimulants of happiness.

Surely it depends on a situation. And it never hurts to consult a doc.

Jimuk - good luck with job hunting.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Mr

Originally Posted by Jimuk View Post
Day 2 coming to an end. Really need to find a job, having time on my hands is not good.

Hope your all battling on.
Hi there Im Vinny.
Lets battle on
Old 10-04-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Mr

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Welcome, theVman31, asixstringnut, and winniegirl33
Hi and thanks !
Old 10-04-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hi October Sober People! I'm just dropping in from the March class to say welcome aboard. It took me a couple of tries but tomorrow is 4 months. I definitely couldn't do it alone. When Dee says make a plan, he means it. It really helps. Life gets so much better sober. Good luck everyone - if I can do this - all of you can, I promise.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks bobbieka
Old 10-04-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hey guys I'm feeling really good, for those of you with mild withdrawal symptoms, I envy you but just want to remind you that if you drink again it will only get worse the next time you put your body through it again.

The withdrawals for me were terrible. My body just couldn't take it anymore. And I'm youngish. only 28... The effects of alcohol on everyone is very different. For example, some people go through mild physical withdrawals but go through horrendous mental withdrawals (cravings, depression, etc).

My physical withdrawals were terrible... Shakes, anxiety, high blood pressure, extreme insomnia, rapid heart beat. I have to remind myself of that daily. However, I thank God every day that I am happy being sober. Without alcohol, I don't battle with depression or anxiety or restlessness. I am mainly peaceful and I maintain a balanced lifestyle.

I do sometimes wish for those days when I could stay out all night drinking and feel nothing but tiredness the next day but my body will not recover any more. My hangovers were nightmares.

Hang in there, peeps, those of you in the very first week. I am in my third (I think, I don't count) but I don't ever wish to go back to that dark place of waking up with guilty dread at 4am. it's a lonely and cold place. I sleep like a baby now and when I wake up in the middle of the night, it's simply to roll over and hold my boyfriend or my 8 year old and go back to sleep.

Hang tight. It all gets better. Here's to a sober October
Old 10-04-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Has anyone felt they would rather be dead than suffer through Day1? I never remember it Being this bad, I feel like throwing up and have no appetite. Someone please tell me it gets better quickly or I won't make it
Old 10-04-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

It gets better! I promise! Just a few more days and you'll feel so much better
Old 10-04-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome theVman31, asixstringnut, jimuk and winniegirl33

sorry for my absence yesterday - wasn't feeling great...back on deck today

D