Notices

Class of October 2016 Support Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Urgh just got off the phone from a meeting and the night out I went on got referred. One guy was saying he met up with some friends for coffee at the weekend, during the day though, not during the evening like I like to do. My stomach churned right up. I didn't know what to say-I was so irresponsible last week when out with work colleagues. I hate that it's got round to our other office. The guilt and shame is crippling! But I'm NOT going to drink on it!! ODAAT!
Old 10-10-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found people forgot stuff pretty quickly SSG - especially if you don't repeat the behaviour.

You can rescue your reputation

D
Old 10-10-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I found people forgot stuff pretty quickly SSG - especially if you don't repeat the behaviour. You can rescue your reputation D
That's boosted me a fair bit, thanks Dee!
Old 10-10-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jimuk View Post
Great thanks Vince, the boys won their rugby match then home for a lovely roast that my wife and I cooked together. I over heard her and my son saying how nice it was for Dad to be sober and fun.
I'm relieved I didn't drink today my friend. Hope you're well!
Good work Jim, although I feel envious, it sounds like a perfect Sunday to me.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

8 days and feeling strong. I felt sharp and alert at work which is not normal for me on a Monday.
Reading everybody's stories is helping me, bless you all.
G
Old 10-10-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
Urgh just got off the phone from a meeting and the night out I went on got referred. One guy was saying he met up with some friends for coffee at the weekend, during the day though, not during the evening like I like to do. My stomach churned right up. I didn't know what to say-I was so irresponsible last week when out with work colleagues. I hate that it's got round to our other office. The guilt and shame is crippling! But I'm NOT going to drink on it!! ODAAT!
I hear that. I've lost a few jobs from out of control behavior on company events. Last time, I was in the wonderful Slammer for a DUI that got around the entire company. The Slammer is a newspaper of mugshots weekly. *Sigh*
Old 10-10-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Urgh sunshine, that sounds horrible! How did you cope with it? At least you're sorting yourself out now, that can be a distant memory soon enough! That's what I'm thinking!
Old 10-10-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Back from work and pretty exhausted today - had a headache all day, which is strange because it's only started up today - there again - it might just be a headache.
Hopefully I will get a good nights sleep and that will sort me out.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Hi all. Have been reading this forum for nearly 2 years - Just registered. I've attempted to quit a handful of times in the last year but fail miserably between 10-20 days. One drink leads to way too many, always. I'm so over it, it always leads me to a state of self hate and guilt. I just can't handle it - so no more drinking for me, ever. I'm on day 2 and just home from an AA meeting. Happy to join this October class.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  
Mr

Originally Posted by ChucktownMC View Post
Hi all. Have been reading this forum for nearly 2 years - Just registered. I've attempted to quit a handful of times in the last year but fail miserably between 10-20 days. One drink leads to way too many, always. I'm so over it, it always leads me to a state of self hate and guilt. I just can't handle it - so no more drinking for me, ever. I'm on day 2 and just home from an AA meeting. Happy to join this October class.
Welcome my friend. This forum has and is helping me everyday. Everyone here knows more or les the misery of alcohol or addiction.
Stick around.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 10-10-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Mr

Goodnight to all.
Off to read East of Eden.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Oh ssg, I feel for you, but totally agree with dee. We tend to remember it much longer than others do. My brain will still bring up things from years ago, drinking and non drinking related and I immediately feel embarrassed, but have to remind myself that those people probably never think about it. Other way around, I don't ever really think about stupid things others have done. So just try and let go and be who you are now!!!
Old 10-10-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!!
Old 10-10-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Happy to be here. Can't wait for the anxiety and depression to clear.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

I used to be like this! I could never make it past 14 days... I would feel better and then think I was normal. Actually I'm surprised because I haven't had cravings at all since Friday.

I'm enjoying being sober. Not being anxious, sleeping better.

What's helped me is reading other people's stories of withdrawal and being grateful that I got through mine. I never want to go back.

I have also been watching a little bit of intervention. When I see people drinking to excess on that show I start feeling sick myself.

Congrats on day 2!
Old 10-10-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Oh, I do have something coming up though. My best friends wedding. I am the maid of honor. Lots of champagne.

However, one good thing is the bride is pregnant so SHE won't be drinking. But the other bridesmaids definitely will be. My bf will be there so I can't drink. He will be disappointed in me.

But that's in a week so I can prepare mentally.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
Urgh sunshine, that sounds horrible! How did you cope with it? At least you're sorting yourself out now, that can be a distant memory soon enough! That's what I'm thinking!
Well I cried alot and had a long pity party. But now I laugh about it. Not only did the place of employment pass it around but my ex-boyfriend was in a rock band and wrote a song called, "I saw you in the Slammer" and through out my edition at his shows. I hate that magazine. I did have my mugshot removed from the Slammer newspaper online version. And for the record the DUI was dismissed. It was a blessing for me to have that humiliation and to know how quick people can turn on you and you can lose your reputation. But like Joan Jett says, "I don't give a damn about my bad reputation". ha laugh it off... life goes on.. the sun will come up tomorrow!!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Joining..

Had 12 days, been trying to get sober for 26 years, had stretches of 8 and 5 years. Will be trying new things, one of which will be frequent posting. Hope I don't bore you!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Oh sunshine that sounds terrible! Good on you for dusting yourself off though! You're a tough gal! I guess the key is directing the energy into something positive like you are doing! These bad memories are useful though!