Notices

Class of October 2016 Support Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Kind of a rough day today. Hubby spent the day working with my father outside and came inside half in the bag. I tried to be nice but he was just being so annoying! I couldn't help but wonder if I was that obnoxious when I drank, I probably was :-( Plus I was a little hurt because he knows I quit and that weekends are the hardest for me, yet he drank anyways. I guess I'm just going to have to learn to deal with this on my own. To be fair he has cut way back during the week but I don't think he will ever stop on the weekends or when he's working outside (splitting wood and drinking go hand and hand I guess?). Anyways, he kept trying to get me to go outside and have a fire and listen to music with him (something we always use to do while having drinks) but I just couldn't do it. Too soon to be putting myself in a situation that I relate drinking with I guess? So my 10 year old and I and I stayed in and carved pumpkins instead! I can't help feeling like my husband and I might grow apart if we don't have our time drinking together anymore. Not that that's all we do together but we don't go out often and normally he is a pretty quiet guy. When we both drink he opens up and really talks to me. I'm going to miss that. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it. Anyways, enough about me, that was an ear (eye?)full... I hope everyone is having a wonderful sober night!
Old 10-08-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its tough when others drink around us, especially our loved ones mandosca.
I assume he knows how you feel;?

for a lot of us, others drinking is just something else we have to get used to?

D
Old 10-08-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

It is difficult mandosca! Maybe you should talk to your hubby and think of new things to do that don't involve drinking.

Luckily my bf is a normal drinker. He drinks like one beer and he's done. He used to drink a lot more when I drank but now that I've quit he doesn't really think about it. He keeps beer around the house which is fine by me because I never liked beer
Old 10-08-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Oh I just have to share...

I was sitting at a sushi place at around 500 by myself. I was drinking hot tea on the patio and eating a really good meal. I see this cab pull up and three people climb out. Two women and a man. One of the ladies, God bless her, was stumbling around. Her companions had to take each of her arms. They sat next to me.

The poor lady, it was her birthday. And she was so drunk she couldn't speak. Her husband was embarrassed, I could tell.

No judgment here. It has happened to me many times. Getting drunk before the sun even goes down.

It made me grateful that I don't have to worry about stumbling around in public anymore.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:36 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chickenlady06 View Post
After accidentally posting in last years october class, decided to copy my post here. I'm pretty much a time traveller now. 😂

Day 1 again here y'all. I'll be joining the class of October 2016!! I've been part of april, may, june, and i relapsed july through now. I keep thinking i can moderate, be a normal drinker and I just can't. I'm off to get a cup of coffee and run to target to take my one year old daughter birthday shopping!!!
I was the same, I pretended I could, I couldn't. You have all the good reasons to quit, sadly I don't live with my son any more - booze took care of that.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:45 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

I am happy with myself, I woke up on a Sunday morning knowing that I was not hungover, not wondering what I did, what damage I did to my friends and family, not checking my phone to see who I messaged at 2am.
1 week today, I think I will take my long suffering partner to the cinema to celebrate.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:08 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts, crazy to think all over the world there are people like me.
Have a great Sunday where ever you are. I'm taking my lovely son to play rugby and then home for a roast dinner.
i hope you all feel free and peaceful today. X
Old 10-09-2016, 01:18 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Good morning October crew! I had a good sleep but have woken up anxious. I have a lot to do in work the next few days and I am nervous about my boss coming back from his holidays because I haven't achieved that much. I am nervous about seeing my coworkers again after last week's binge with them. Thankfully they are leaving at the end of the month but I just don't know how to face them.

Plus there is another girl in work who I used to think was my friend but in recent weeks it's become clear she just likes to bring me down. She knows all about my drinking as we've known each other for years, plus she's got a problem herself. She likes to constantly remind me of all the bad points of my life when I'm trying to work things out. Recently she's been getting more and more aggressive and rude to me because I won't speak about the crap going on in my life when I'm in work. I'm trying to distance myself from her because of this but she keeps flipping out at me. I know that she's really happy I drank last week. It's like she enjoys seeing me fail.

Sorry for the stream of inner consciousness but it feels better getting it out than keeping it in where my brain turns it into a big warped monster!

Day 2! Phew, this is tough but I'm ok!
Old 10-09-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello classmates.
Day 2 is going well so far.
Have a good sunday everyone.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

First day of work

First day of work after DUI...missed shift yesterday because I was in jail. Spoke to manager late yesterday and he supports me and just wants me to get better.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:24 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Hewson, that's good to hear that your boss is being supportive! Great news in fact. Take that as a real positive to spur you on to get better. We can all do this!!
Old 10-09-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Oh yes mendosca, my son loves to argue, just like his dad and drives me crazy.
Gifford, sorry to hear you can't be with your little one, stay the course and keep sober. You can do this.

Day 2 for me. I slept like crap, so i didn't roll out of bed as early as I planned, but not beating myself up, i need the rest to heal. Forcing an omelette with veggies and turkey in my tummy hoping today is far better than yesterday.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

It's officially been over a week. I kind of started the day off on the wrong foot. I asked my husband if he's proud. He laughed and said "Well, you really on drank on the weekends, so it's not really like it's been a week, maybe more like 2 days for you." He is really pressing my buttons today. But I'm proud of me, that's what counts. Today I'm committed to moving forward. I'm not going to obsess over last weekend anymore. I'm going to concentrate on today and let the rest go. Happy Sunday everyone!
Old 10-09-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Just checking in on day 4 today. I have plenty to keep me occupied through my Sunday so I'm not worried about the temptation to drink (Vikings game at noon which I'm watching with my parents, tennis with my girlfriend after that, and then the debate). Though maybe watching the debate isn't the best way to keep me away from drinking? Haha. Bad place to make that joke? I have no access to fresh alcohol on Sundays anyway. Here in Minnesota, liquor stores are closed on Sunday.

Strangely, weekends are usually easy in terms of avoiding drinking. My friends don't party or go out and club or anything, especially not my girlfriend who I spend most of my weekends with. It's the weekday evenings that really get me in trouble. When I've had a long or stressful day at work, and I come home to my condo where I live alone, and I just need to de-stress...that's when alcohol is at the forefront of my mind. Monday evenings are a popular time for me to drink. And many times, I'll get through that Monday evening having resisted the urge to drink. And then I reward myself for that by drinking on Tuesday evening instead. Ugh. I have a desk job, so it's easy to get through a workday with a hangover. Just hole up in my cube and deal with it.

So really, the real test will begin on Monday!
Old 10-09-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
Good morning October crew! I had a good sleep but have woken up anxious. I have a lot to do in work the next few days and I am nervous about my boss coming back from his holidays because I haven't achieved that much. I am nervous about seeing my coworkers again after last week's binge with them. Thankfully they are leaving at the end of the month but I just don't know how to face them.

Plus there is another girl in work who I used to think was my friend but in recent weeks it's become clear she just likes to bring me down. She knows all about my drinking as we've known each other for years, plus she's got a problem herself. She likes to constantly remind me of all the bad points of my life when I'm trying to work things out. Recently she's been getting more and more aggressive and rude to me because I won't speak about the crap going on in my life when I'm in work. I'm trying to distance myself from her because of this but she keeps flipping out at me. I know that she's really happy I drank last week. It's like she enjoys seeing me fail.

Sorry for the stream of inner consciousness but it feels better getting it out than keeping it in where my brain turns it into a big warped monster!

Day 2! Phew, this is tough but I'm ok!
I think you'll find plenty of friends here who are really happy when you DON'T drink! I definitely know how hard this is. And I think we only succeed when we get the support of others.

So, keep it up! You're doing awesome
Old 10-09-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Good morning guys. Seems like everyone is excited for the day. I will have no cravings today... I have work until I pick up my son later tonight. We normally have movie and dinner night on Sundays since I'm always so tired from my work weekend. No cravings yesterday.

Ssg and vman, congrats on day 2! Ssg, your coworker might suck. I would definitely try and keep as much as you can to yourself. She doesn't seem trustworthy. As for your other coworkers, people forget very quickly as long as you don't give them any more reason to talk. Enjoy day 2

Hewson, that's fantastic news that you told your boss the truth. That's the first step. So maybe your boss can give you time off to get some help?

Illuminate, enjoy your Sunday. Wish I was doing something fun. I am off to work. Tuesday and Wednesdays are my trigger days because I'm off. Let's give each other support. The week days for me are difficult as well.

Gifford, happy Sunday!!! I also woke up feeling grateful.

I'm off to work, I'll check back on my break. Thanks for being supportive everyone and have a good Sunday
Old 10-09-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Mr

Originally Posted by Jimuk View Post
I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts, crazy to think all over the world there are people like me.
Have a great Sunday where ever you are. I'm taking my lovely son to play rugby and then home for a roast dinner.
i hope you all feel free and peaceful today. X
Hey jim from the uk. How was that roast ?
Old 10-09-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Thanks illuminate-I think you're right-there will be friends who care that I don't drink. This girl is not a friend. Since I knew her my life has took a downward turn. Not saying that I didn't have a problem with alcohol before meeting her, but I had sorted myself out. She has admitted when we were drunk that she wanted to get to know me to see what was under the "perfect veneer" cos "we all have demons". She's just won't leave me alone. She recently got a promotion but I found out that she's passed my work off as her own. Whilst she's helped me unravel she's stepped herself up on me.

Sorry yet another rant, but it's good to get it out. Recently though, I've begun to get myself more and more together, sure there have been hellish relapses but it's still an upwards trend. She seems to be doing her utmost to remind me of bad things every time she can.

Some people eh?

Anyway, today has been a good day in spirt of that. I did skip lunch though-that's not a habit that I want to get in to.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm totally new, this being my first post ever.... I have made it through my first week. Day 8 today and I feel free.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hipschick View Post
Hi everyone. I'm totally new, this being my first post ever.... I have made it through my first week. Day 8 today and I feel free.
Welcome to the gang!! What a great positive first post too!