Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 02-17-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome back. Day 3 for me. Feeling pretty good just tired. I guess it is going to take the body some time to heal. My plan this time around is to ignore my AV and read a lot on here. I am going to start exercising and spending more time with my kids. Most importantly I am going to try and stay positive. I have had 20 years of drinking. That is enough for a lifetime. It was fun for awhile but the last 10 years it has been a 2nd job. Time to quit the second job and focus on my first job! Hope everyone has a good day!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Welcome Oroszlan. Congrats on day 3!

The first week I was really tired. It might have been from fighting the cravings.

Today is day 18 for me. Each day is getting a bit easier. I find focusing on how good I will feel in the morning when I wake up, knowing I added another sober day to the count helps. I think I would be hugely disappointed in myself if I gave in to the cravings, and trust me they are there each evening.
One day at a time.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hello All. Day 14. I am staying strong but it's not easy.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Day 6 for me
Old 02-17-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Lean and mean
Day 15
Old 02-17-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Way to go everyone!

I feel so much better than I do days after drinking, but I can't seem to get my motivation back. Have so much to do around the house, etc and no desire to do it. Alcohol used to give me energy to get things done, although I was useless the next day so I have to keep remembering that part.

Chocolate is my new best friend right now 😜
Old 02-17-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Alcohol mainly used to give me energy to drink more alcohol.

It also gave me the ability to not care if I wasn't getting something important and/or necessary done.

And it gave me permission to do really stupid things and then use the excuse, "Sorry, I was drunk."

Alcohol is not and has never been my friend, no matter how much I sometimes like to think otherwise.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
Way to go everyone!

I feel so much better than I do days after drinking, but I can't seem to get my motivation back. Have so much to do around the house, etc and no desire to do it. Alcohol used to give me energy to get things done, although I was useless the next day so I have to keep remembering that part.

Chocolate is my new best friend right now 😜
I was the opposite. My house and yard fell apart because I never got anything done on weekends. Now my house is much cleaner.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I was the same as you Ladybug. Drinking motivated me to get things done. It was like a reward. I think I believed that if I was doing something productive then my drinking could be justified. I am sure we will find the motivation at some point to still complete our tasks sober.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I come here every day to reaffirm my commitment not to drink. I reaffirm the commitment to my fellow brothers and sisters here who share the same goal to stop drinking. I reaffirm the commitment to my family and those that depend on me.

I know this is necessary but I struggle. I have conflicting feelings. On the one hand I miss drinking. It was / is a release for me. Its like saying goodbye to an old friend. I realize the friend is not good for me but he has been with me for quite some time. On the other hand I am ashamed of my actions. I have let this go way too far. I have put my family in a difficult spot and I have done some stupid ****.

I am angry that I have this problem. I was born with depression (runs in the family) and it seems that I have to fight every day to be “normal” like others. I sometimes feel sorry for myself. Then I get angry again that I am being a wussy and force myself to buck up and continue the fight. I grow weary at times.

Thanks for listening to my rant. That is really all it is. I know what I need to do. There is only one answer here – stop drinking and continue to work on being a more healthy person.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oroszlan View Post
I was the same as you Ladybug. Drinking motivated me to get things done. It was like a reward. I think I believed that if I was doing something productive then my drinking could be justified. I am sure we will find the motivation at some point to still complete our tasks sober.
Yep, exactly. It was a "reward" for me too. Some reward, huh? I guess we have to retrain our brains and change our way of thinking because alcohol just isn't an option anymore.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hey class! I just wanted to take a quick sec to thank everyone on the last thread who gave me some personal encouragement on reaching that elusive 2 month goal of mine (which I cannot believe is now only a week away), it really means a lot and I appreciate it so much. :group hug:

Ladybug, glad you made it back and that you have the extra support of your husband now. That can only be a good thing I think .

Chinaski - "It also gave me the ability to not care if I wasn't getting something important and/or necessary done. " This was so me. Alcohol did give me a burst of energy for about 30 minutes or so, then it was all downhill from there. Every small task was like trying to climb Mount Everest, and those were things I absolutely had to do, if it wasn't necessary, it wasn't happening.

Congratulations to everyone who is adding another day to their sober count today, and for those on Day 1, so glad you are here!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Checking in, sober and well. I'm so much more level headed without the booze induced peaks and troughs. This has made me more productive in work and a lot calmer at home. I'm a better person to be around, that's for sure. Mindful that my AV is biding its time, for it knows that timing is everything.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Chinaski, I loved what you said earlier: "Alcohol mainly used to give me energy to drink more alcohol."

For the first few drinks each afternoon I'd get a burst of energy. I'm sure my co-workers who are on the East Coast of the US hated always getting emails from me after their normal-work hours (replying to them etc). It would motivated me for a short period to complete the work that I was too hungover to do all morning.

Then it was pretty much downhill from there. I can relate to what Outonthetiles said about the house/yard being run down... After that initial burst of energy, as I got drunk it became more and more about what my DRUNK SELF wanted to do vice what I needed to get done. I looked outside this morning and it was like a veil had been lifted. I thought "man, the house and yard are freakin messy!"

Thanks for all the thoughtful posts everyone. They really help! Midway through day 3 here, and reading everyone elses thoughts is helping me to deal with the cravings.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Evening actually losing track of what day I'm on- guessing this is a good sign?! Think its 18 or 19 and I feel too thick today to clarify! I am literally craving sugar I cannot stop eating sugary things- I've never been one for sweet things but I cannot stop myself- also I have an ecig and use a zero nicotine fluid which I've been gradually aiming to phase out and now I've been craving nicotine! Ugh!! I guess I can abstain from alcohol as long as I ply myself with as much other crap as possible! On the plus side I have started running again out of pure fear I'm going to have to buy new jeans and have been sprinting up hills like a crazy woman. Anyway going to try and get a grip in the next few days! Hope your all having a good week class mates
Old 02-17-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Java won't work on Google Chrome I'm afraid. Try another browser Karen?

D
Try, Firefox

Originally Posted by Ento View Post
6.22 pm on my day 1. I had a mighty bender and i know i have a problem.

Used to do the same thing until I realised too I had a problem

Hi Februarians

Been away for work then had relatives staying over so I didn't get any personal time to get to my computer.

All good with me, I did struggle last weekend when all the booze was flowing around me. I wish it would get easier and this struggle would just go away. I've been trying some Mindfulness exercises but can't concentrate for more a couple of minutes.

Got my blood test back, Liver enzymes from being on the high end this time last year is now normal... SR

Hope those of you struggling have a plan in place, even if it's just for today. Keep up the good work.

Havagooday
Old 02-17-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi class. Checking in at day 23. Feeling calm but not happy with my sugar intake. I am eating like there is no tomorrow. Yuck.

I am going to have to sort this out cause I don't want to put on weight. Hope everyone is ok
Old 02-17-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Day 11
Old 02-17-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FacingFuture View Post
Chinaski, I loved what you said earlier: "Alcohol mainly used to give me energy to drink more alcohol."

For the first few drinks each afternoon I'd get a burst of energy. I'm sure my co-workers who are on the East Coast of the US hated always getting emails from me after their normal-work hours (replying to them etc). It would motivated me for a short period to complete the work that I was too hungover to do all morning.

Then it was pretty much downhill from there. I can relate to what Outonthetiles said about the house/yard being run down... After that initial burst of energy, as I got drunk it became more and more about what my DRUNK SELF wanted to do vice what I needed to get done. I looked outside this morning and it was like a veil had been lifted. I thought "man, the house and yard are freakin messy!"

Thanks for all the thoughtful posts everyone. They really help! Midway through day 3 here, and reading everyone elses thoughts is helping me to deal with the cravings.
All drinking ever did for me is make me feel like drinking more. I couldn't really do anything active like get stuff done around the house or even play video games or cards. All I wanted to do was drink more and smoke cigarettes and passively watch TV.

YUCK!
Old 02-17-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FacingFuture View Post

I totally relate. I drink to get chores done, then find I've left other ghiugh undone, because of the booze fog.
I'm really focusing on how I'm fooled by the AV.
I try really hard to do better, make positive changes in my life, for my wife, kids, and self, then I drink for a few days, and feel like I undo it. This'll take time to heal up from, and I've been quitting on myself about once a week or so, on weekends usually.
I'm drawing on SR posts this week more than ever. Want to stop the crap.