Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 4

Old 01-30-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Good Morning!! Today marks 30 days for me, and for many others in this class. Congratulations to all hitting a milestone, I am looking forward to continuing with all of you into February.
Well done on h 30 days Delilah!! That's great!!! I'm about to go to bed and finish my 20th day!!!! Excited X X
Old 01-30-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Evening all,I just wanted to hare that I have had the best day and night ever. Went to a meeting tonight and it was fantastic. Huge group with a lot of sharing... Then a big group of us went for a coffee to a cafe afterwards and sat chatting for a good hour or so until 11pm and the staff were cleaning up around us lol!!!! I really feel like I'm moving forward and that I actually belong somewhere. Strange feeling but something is just clicking with me and I really believe with everything that I have that I can stay sober.
It's actually at a stage where it's no longer a choice to drink- I've been killing myself but I no longer WANT alcohol in my life..
I'm going to bed happy, hopeful and really excited for whatever the future has in store for me. Whatever it is- it will be a sober life.
Goodnight all.... Welcome to the newbies and congratulations to all the milestoners... Love you all xx hugs
Old 01-30-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Morning, y'all. Happy Thirty to them who got it today, and a keep pressing on for them who, like me, had a hiccup along the way.

Mmmmm, coffee.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Mish and Loopylou, I’m so glad you didn’t let a slip turn into a landslide!

Benice, stress and anger are big triggers for me too. I’m glad you’re back in the saddle. From this point on, no more wine in the house!

KDB, I loved your post on minding your own business! When I was sober for 8 months in ’14, I had that revelation and it was so liberating!

Lulu, as you approach the 30 day milestone, that is a trigger for most people, so be on guard. To ward off the extra calories from the distraction eating, get outside and walk! And take as many walks as you like. The fresh air, physical activity and getting out of the house is such a pick-me-up!

Going off of memory, I think the big triggers come in 3s; 3 weeks, 30 days, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, and 1 year. Be aware of the AV!!!

Meshelly, great job avoiding temptation; it sounds like you and your hubby are embracing this healthier lifestyle!

Delilah, congratulations on 30 days!!!

Jhend, great to hear from you! It sounds life your life has improved in the last 20 days, that is so inspiring! Hopefully, after tapering, you and Jenn will be on the same page, sobriety wise, and will find that life is actually better without alcohol!

Nic, you continue to blaze the way, and with such enthusiasm! Sweet dreams!
Old 01-30-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Good morning, Thump!

Mmmmm, detox tea (NOT!!).

Have a great day!
Old 01-30-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meshelly View Post
32 days in. I had a really tough time yesterday because my husband had the day off and we usually in the past would go out and do a little gambling and drinking to pass the time. It was our little get away so we both struggled and even entertained the idea of going out. But in the back of my mind i kept thinking of how crappy i would feel tomorrow if i did that. So i made us a big chicken salad and had a cold LaCrox watched some tv and before you know it we were both talking about how glad we were that we stayed home. =D
Good for you! I can relate- DH and I have been drinking buddies since we got together in 2010 and any chance to go out to a restaurant and drink was taken (even with kids). Last Monday it's all I wanted to do but I am so glad we didn't. I suppose we are all going to have to learn new habits to keep us occupied and different fun things to do with our partners. It's going to be tough but worth it!
Old 01-30-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jhend View Post
Upside too everything is clearer head and tons of anxious energy to get things done and an easier time playing with my kid. And I'm getting along with everyone. My mom is looking at me like I'm not a lost case that is nice. Jenn is working on her drinking too and we are getting along well...No pointless arguments in twenty days wither. think there is a link? OK put some of it out there going to walk to the store and grab some food have a wonderful day all keep on keepin on
Sounds like a lot of changes are taking place, what a beautiful thing! I can totally relate- I've argued much less with DH and am enjoying my kids even more. I'm so glad you are doing well and getting along with your partner, that is so important especially during this critical time. Keep up the great work!
Old 01-30-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
You are smart to play the tape forward, in the past I have given into those thoughts and found myself back into old habits quickly. Was the cake chocolate??:-)
Thanks Delilah, I too have generally given in but like someone posted upthread this time I'm just not willing to give up my days

Cakes...hmm...um...the *second* one was chocolate, the first one was red velvet!
Old 01-30-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Pedro, congratulations on 30 days!
Thanks Odelle
Old 01-30-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
Its very hard to sit with the discomfort of not drinking when a drink would fix it. For five minutes at least. Sigh.
Hang in there TigerLili
Old 01-30-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Last day of January before we attempt to kick February's arse. Had a grumpy day yesterday so want to make today a little better. 9.00am here in Sydney Australia. Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-30-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Morning Pedro!!! 7am here in Perth..
Day 21 for me... Let's make this last day in Jan count !!
Old 01-30-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  
Administrator

Special congrats to all the 30 days people today - and those not far off it

congrats to everyone here really - the first month is a tough transition period , but staying here is half the battle

welcome aboard jhend

D
Old 01-30-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Started going into a bad thinking-loop, decided to be happy, am rather meh rich now but at least the roller-coaster is shut down for maintenance.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Started going into a bad thinking-loop, decided to be happy, am rather meh rich now but at least the roller-coaster is shut down for maintenance.
I hear ya Thump, it's been a tough day over here as well. Let's hope for a better day tomorrow.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

my head is working overtime to convince me it's a great idea to have a couple.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post

my head is working overtime to convince me it's a great idea to have a couple.
Hugs- you've come too far to have a "couple".. If you're like me it will never be just a couple Hun.
Hang in there and hopefully it will pass.. Is there anything you can do today and take your mind off things a while?
Sending you strength .. Glad you posted here before cracking a drink xxx
Old 01-30-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Those obsessive thoughts are frustrating. Obviously the name of the game is to obsess over something else and for tiur head to be the voice of reason.

A few tips:
- journaling helped me a lot. Was recommended by my counselor and made a difference. The idea is to write out 3 full pages of what's on your mind then throw it away. No need to spell right or follow grammar rules or even have complete sentences. If it's on your mind, you write it down. Must fill 3 full pages.

It helps flush your mind so you can start over with new thoughts. If having a drinking the only think on your mind, write that out 50 times in a row. Doesn't matter. You'll find though that your thoughts will change.

- pull up YouTube and search for self guided meditations. HUGE help. You can even find some specifically addressing addiction or alcoholism. Meditating will clear your mind.

- you are smart to post! Post more. Read more.

- call somebody. Especially somebody you have not talked to in a long time. A cousin or aunt maybe. It'll pass some time and they'll appreciate the call. You'll feel great.

You'll find those obsessive thoughts do go away. You won't have to fight them forever. Just use some of those tools to get over the ones you are having now. Sooner than you think, you won't be obsessed with drinking any more.

It's also a good time to remind your AV that you're in charge now and that you DONT want to drink. Tell that to yourself and review your reasons for quitting and imagine how much better life is going to be.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no such thing as a couple for people like us TL.

I know you've been around on SR for a long time, but maybe making a recovery plan could help?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

Just a reminder too - this thread will move to the Daily support forum soon, and the new Class of February thread, for those quitting in February, will take it's place here

I'll leave plenty of redirects so folks can find their new home

D
Old 01-30-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
I hear ya Thump, it's been a tough day over here as well. Let's hope for a better day tomorrow.
I hope your day gets better, sweetie.

I can't say mine is bad, thankfully. I think I'm learning a lesson in mindfulness today: Observing unhealthy feelings welling up inside, analyzing them as such, and looking at the positives that are coming along with them.