Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 4

Old 01-27-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Hi all - day 23 for me. Can't believe I'm just a week away from a month. I've literally not been sober for a total of 30 days in a calendar year, never mind a whole month! Shocking to read that: I've literally been drunk for 10 years straight. What a waste.

Sleep is all over the place. Still eating enough to feed a family of four. Alas, one thing at a time.

Haven't heard back from my interview other than the recruiter letting me know there was positive feedback but that they had several other candidates and would be a week or two for next steps. I'm not going to put all my eggs in one basket so am continuing the interview process with some other firms and hoping something works out.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Hi all...

Just wrote my first post, and was encouraged to join this thread as well. 1 week today. Went for an hour walk this morning, and feeling great. It started to rain towards the end of the walk, and I was reminded of a song I used to listen to when I was hungover and depressed...

I feel it's gonna rain like this for days
So let it rain down and wash everything away
I hope that tomorrow the sun will shine
With every tomorrow comes another life

Fall down, wash away my yesterdays
Fall down, so let the rain fall down on me...

I know I'm only one week in, but it's nice to know at least I've begun to start doing, instead of only dreaming.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Sun - did you have a session last night? How was it if I may ask. I think you working 1-2 days a week would do wonders for you. Just getting out of the house by yourself would be great ! It might cause some stress but I think it would be worth it.
Thank you. Therapy was great and the hypnosis was very relaxing, I was yawning all night and slept like a baby.

I am concerned about work also because it would take away our one family day of the week and the only day I can actually spend with DH when our older son is in school. So I would be working to pay for therapy but then distancing myself even further from my husband. It's a tough decision to make.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Have any of you ever done EMDR therapy or DBT for PTSD?

Thx!

Hope you're having a great day!!!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Checking in at the middle of day 3. Feeling so good it's actually scary. My withdrawal has subsided. Yesterday and definitely Monday at this time I was so shaky I was having problems holding my phone and typing. My loud and rapid heartbeat didn't allow me to focus on anything else. The overall look and feel of sickness was overwhelming. I've been so anxious that I avoided the grocery store for fear everyone would see my puffy face and bloodshot eyes and immediately know I'm a drunk, but I made myself go and I was proud of myself for that. I was tempted to go to bed as soon as I got home from work yesterday, but made myself do some household chores (is it just me - I live alone - or do most alcoholics trash their places during a bender?). This weekend I plan on deep cleaning my apartment and am really looking forward to that. An SR friend also recommended I watch Smashed, so I bought it on Amazon so I'll have it this weekend to watch. Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes and sharing your journeys. The support has made a WORLD of difference. I've been checking the forums more than I have Facebook!!!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Hiya everyone. Mellow day here so far, slept in a bit, so I must have needed it. I'll be out to do laundry in a bit, and then pick up some groceries.

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Great to have you onboard with us Kiki!

Strongbird, hopefully you will see such an improvement in how you look, think and feel at the end of 30 days, you won't need to test the polluted waters again.

Wrapping up day 19, and day 1 of no nicotine or caffeine, so far so good!
Dear god, woman -- are you insane?
Old 01-27-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post

out of sorts and tired. long, stressful day.
Hang in there, sweetie.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
Good morning (& evening) everyone and Welcome to all Newcomers! Glad to see you in our wonderfully supportive Jan. class!

[...]

Thump - is that you? If so, love your pic and your guitar!
Thanks for the kind words, bud. It is indeed me, just after a string-change this last summer. The guitar was a steal -- an 80s Taiwanese Yamaha for $100, it's a great-sounding box, and very versatile.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Have any of you ever done EMDR therapy or DBT for PTSD?

Thx!

Hope you're having a great day!!!
I did EMDR for anxiety and some PTSD. For me it never really did anything.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Day 14. Looking back, I'm pretty sure this is the longest I've gone without drinking in 17-18 years. Hard to wrap my mind around that statistic.

Sleep seems to be a pretty common topic. Other than a couple nightmares and a using dream, I've actually slept fairly well the last two or three nights. Seems like it should be worse, but I'll take it. I've had two doctors prescribe me meds for sleeping but figured I would have to deal with it sooner or later. I chose sooner and haven't taken any. Why prolong the inevitable I figure.

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 01-27-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lulu212 View Post
Hi all - day 23 for me. Can't believe I'm just a week away from a month. I've literally not been sober for a total of 30 days in a calendar year, never mind a whole month! Shocking to read that: I've literally been drunk for 10 years straight. What a waste.
Congrats on the 23 days, that is quite the accomplishment! And good luck with all your interviews and the job hunt. You will find something good in no time
Old 01-27-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Damn AV is being a turd these days. I think I understand the whole "pink cloud" concept now. The first 2 weeks were so easy. This week? Not so much. I am having cravings every day and have to literally convince myself to knock it off.

I am not anywhere close to drinking but it sucks that I am feeling more vulnerable. I hate this feeling...
Old 01-27-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Damn AV is being a turd these days. I think I understand the whole "pink cloud" concept now. The first 2 weeks were so easy. This week? Not so much. I am having cravings every day and have to literally convince myself to knock it off. I am not anywhere close to drinking but it sucks that I am feeling more vulnerable. I hate this feeling...
Hang in there, Sunflower. This too shall pass.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Hey Thump, just a quick response before I head out the door to the dentist. Me insane? Probably! I figured it's now or never, so I may as well get rid of the remaining 2 addictions while I'm riding the happy sobriety train.

I retain the right to b*tch, gripe and groan if and when the need occurs, but mid-way through day 2 and feeling good! That is strange coming from a pack-a-day, 38 year smoker (couple of breaks in between). No caffeine WD headaches either! Yay!!!!

Catch up later!
Old 01-27-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 10. Feeling good, so glad I haven't caved in. Sunflower, I hear ya. Two weeks you're motivated and then it gets harder as you lose that motivation and get bored.. At least that's what happens to me. You can do it!! Play that tape. Xoxo!
Old 01-27-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, hope everyone's doing ok today and holding out on any life challenges/AV issues.

Thump - very nice guitar, sounds like an absolute bargain! My sister is a keen guitarist and writes and produces traditional folk/western style music. It's a special gift to play an instrument and must be a great emotional release to be able to express yourself through music. It's one area of life I'm yet to explore.

Carrie - pleased to hear you're feeling so much better today and congrats on day 3! Keep close to SR and share your thoughts as often as needed, everyone on here offers great collective support and positivity to get you through the early days - as part of your overall plan of course.

Zeebs - great stats, I can't believe how time flies during sobriety once one picks up some momentum. I strongly dislike January as a month usually, dark and a little dreary and often seems such a long month. But setting myself a serious sobriety plan and checking in here daily has positively made the time fly with ease!

Sunflower - You're doing great to stay strong amidst the AV challenges. I saw a similar pattern - from days 14-20 or thereabouts, I found that my AV took the form of a mild depression, that suggested self doubt towards my plan. I found distraction through exercise, mindfulness and recounting my plan was of great help. Days 21 to present for me have been so much better - like the shadow has moved across, for now at least! Just got to believe in yourself and your hopes for a better future - you can do it!!

Everyone else - have a great day & evening!

CC
Old 01-27-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

day 23, I think maybe, just maybe, my head is a little bit clearer today. Maybe...
Old 01-27-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Yes Jim - it seemed like it took forever for my head to clear. And to not sleep so much!!
Old 01-27-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Made another day.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Day 5. Feeling tired but have slept much better since the second night (when I was awake till 3am).
Glad to be here; have a good day, each of you. Take care.