Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 4

Old 01-31-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

I know Sadie, that is why she is still here. My other rescue cat requires constant grooming, nail cutting, meds when needed, and I can take care of her confidently. The "feralista" won't let me groom her, and I only tried clipping her nails when she was a kitten, YIKES, lesson learned. It's very frustrating and I am venting.

When she is in the mood, she can be a very loving kitty, on her terms. I guess I've never had a cat, dog, or other critter that can turn into a wild animal when you are only trying to help them.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
What would you do if you had a cat that you didn't like because she is so damn mean? I know taking her to an animal shelter will result in euthanasia due to her antisocial nature. Help, I don't know what to do with her!
Have you done everything you can to make her feel safe and welcome in your home? Nice places to sleep, no stress, places away from kids (?), decent food and of course lots of love and cuddles? I adopted a rescue cat about 7 years ago; he was a rotten little scumbag to begin with but over time with all of the above (and that's in a house with two dogs [both rescues, one a little terror to begin with], a young child and general pandemonium most of the time) he's become a gorgeous friendly cat... part of our family.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

That's a tough one Odelle. I have never had a cat but is there a way to get help for those types of behaviors? Or is there someone else who would be happy to have her? She shouldn't be living somewhere if the situation isn't comfortable for all of you, at least in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProudPenguin View Post
Hello all . It's day 8 for me . I found myself being miserable today , didn't want to deal with anything , cravings went over the roof and I wasn't in a mood to do anything or attend a meeting. But I'm there , I was brave enough to get out and go to the meeting.
You should be proud, Penguin. That is really a great thing you did for yourself. Hope you enjoyed the meeting and congrats on day 8!
Old 01-31-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

MAV, thanks for the suggestions. I have done all of your recommendations, which is hard because she came to us at 10 weeks like this. It's been nearly 3 years now and she is still a hair trigger. I've even followed advice from the show My Cat From Hell to no avail. I've had cats and dogs in my life for many decades, but this little feline (Maine Coon mix) has exhausted my patience.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Yes my feralista about killed me every time I trimmed her claws, which are mutant very thick ones that grow in her pads. Have to wrap her like a burrito in a towel. Now that I can actually pet and brush her, I'm rubbing her feet little bit at a time so she gets used to it. (She always let my husband brush her but held a grudge against me after she was so sick I had to nebulize and give her sub q fluids when a kitten)

Some just don't know we are trying to help them and have fight or flight with grooming, butt wiping, nail clipping etc.

I had another that had been shot and brutalized by a psycho and didn't sit on my lap for YEARS, then he wouldn't get out of it and lived until 18. Yes, cats do things on their terms, not ours, sometimes it takes awhile.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

MAV, thanks for the suggestions. I have done all of your recommendations, which is hard because she came to us at 10 weeks like this. It's been nearly 3 years now and she is still a hair trigger. I've even followed advice from the show My Cat From Hell to no avail. I've had cats and dogs in my life for many decades, but this little feline (Maine Coon mix) has exhausted my patience.
Hmm, tricky! I guess cats will always do things on their own terms. Hope she comes good in the end...
Old 01-31-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 7! I had a few triggers this weekend, like the unseasonably warm January weather, but worked through them. I spent 5 hours yesterday cleaning my 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment. I cleaned from top to bottom and am actually sore today! It looks fabulous though and I am feeling quite better myself! I stuck to my plan this weekend and was able to resist drinking. I'm about to go grocery shopping (which I saved specifically for today - Sunday here - because Indiana prohibits alcohol sales on Sunday). I did find an unopened bottle of wine in my fridge. The scary part is I have no idea how it got there. I must have bought it during my last binge and forgot about it. Who really knows... but I got rid of it (dumped it). Each day is getting a little easier and I am DEFINITELY not where I was this time last week.

I will catch up with everyone tonight. Can't wait! Take care!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

End of day 31 one here. Been navigating some serious short temper issues the past couple of days but have got through OK. Had a really late night last night... which is not good BUT it was so nice going to bed late completely sober and waking up this morning and not being horrifically hungover. Historically I would lose all sense of time as the wine flowed, and even when it got late it always seemed like a good idea to stay up later and later and drink more and more. Not planning to make a habit of it but it was interesting to link the "old" behaviour with the new non-alcohol based variety.

Made a bit more progress with the telling people thing.. bit of a copout but I told a friend of mine who himself is 4 years clean (ODAAT) but it was good to talk to someone new and open up.

So anyway, 31 days sober... supposed to have a follow-up with the doc soon o see if the liver issues have changed/got better.

Now planning for and looking forward to the next 29 days...!

Sending thoughts and hugs to everyone in the class whatever stage/day you're at Let's keep this thing going!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by CarrieBradshaw View Post
Who really knows... but I got rid of it (dumped it). Each day is getting a little easier and I am DEFINITELY not where I was this time last week.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

On Day 9, grateful that the days just seem to be ticking over without my thinking about them; taking nothing for granted, because my best efforts last year weren't much further on than this *blush*.
Best wishes to all and congratulations on all positive progress, whether in days or hours.
In my room I have a framed photo of my favourite cousins taken when they and I were young children. Beside it is a scented candle - a genuine, pure, almost piercingly intense raspberry-rose-scent. The two objets form a nice little multi-sensory vignette for me to get grounded and focused, should the need arise.
Take care.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

When she is in the mood, she can be a very loving kitty, on her terms. I guess I've never had a cat, dog, or other critter that can turn into a wild animal when you are only trying to help them.
A veterinarian friend of mine says "Cats have six ends. Five of them are sharp."

I have two cats that were feral kittens. They have come a long way towards trusting people, but they still won't let me do *anything* they don't want done. They don't know I am trying to help, they think I want to kill them and eat them. Even one of my non-ferals requres at least two people for nail trims.

I can definitely understand your frustration. It seems ungrateful after everything we've done for them; but it's just the way they're wired.

Vent away, if it helps you keep from drinking about it!
Old 01-31-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MAV View Post
End of day 31 one here. Been navigating some serious short temper issues the past couple of days but have got through OK. Had a really late night last night... which is not good BUT it was so nice going to bed late completely sober and waking up this morning and not being horrifically hungover. Historically I would lose all sense of time as the wine flowed, and even when it got late it always seemed like a good idea to stay up later and later and drink more and more. Not planning to make a habit of it but it was interesting to link the "old" behaviour with the new non-alcohol based variety.
Can totally relate to that MAV. I've always been a night owl, but the drinking just magnified it into a huge sleep deprivation issue, combined with hangovers from hell! I've started to stay up a little later recently, but the sleep quality is so, so much better now I can seemingly endure a little less sleep and still be productive the next day.

Can't believe that's January gone, don't know where the time has gone! Feeling positive for February, Creating a sense of accountability this time has made a big difference, and my plan has so far kept me on track. I've previously just used self help and willpower.

Wishing everyone well, no matter where you are in this journey. I'm so pleased I made this decision to quit for myself and my family, having not previously used SR as a tool towards my goal. The positive daily discussion on here is a massive boost. We've all just got to believe that it gets so much easier with time, and stick around here for daily reinforcement of our commitment to change!

CC
Old 01-31-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats Lisa, Nic, Dickensen, Penguin, Carrie MAV and Anyone my poor old brain forgot over the course of several pages

I'll move this thread in a few hours to its new home - congrats on entering month 2 guys

D
Old 01-31-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

On this last day of January, I just want to say thanks and well-done to everyone here.

I will always stay in this class.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
congrats Lisa, Nic, Dickensen, Penguin, Carrie MAV and Anyone my poor old brain forgot over the course of several pages

I'll move this thread in a few hours to its new home - congrats on entering month 2 guys

D
Thanks Dee!'
Hey well done us!! We graduate today!!! I'm really excited to see everyone in our new home xx
Old 01-31-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 32. Bring on February! Have a great day everyone
Old 01-31-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

Lucky Day 13 here!

I actually had a really nice weekend. Long walk with my best friend, read a bunch, went to a great church service, had a productive time cooking and cleaning. I feel like my old self. I didn't realize how much I was losing just by getting drunk every 10 days or so but now that I've had two back to back sober weekends, I'm like, what were you thinking??!? It's not even that I feel exceptionally great... I just finally feel like ME.

I'm excited to kick off a new month tomorrow! Onwards and upwards!
Old 01-31-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Happy graduation day everyone! Let's make February a 29 day success!
Old 01-31-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 'graduating' guys

here's to Month Two

D