Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 4

Old 01-30-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

I love reading all the posts too... Helps keep things real for me.

I've noticed since I'm on the naltrexone, I'm just forgetting to eat. Have joined weight watchers but I'm getting to the end of each day with loads of surplus points... Lost 2 kg last week which I'm stoked about...

Just another positive about not drinking alcohol..... Xx
Old 01-30-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Just a note that I'm not condoning not eating- I am making myself eat healthy food when I remember X
Old 01-30-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Day 1 for this goofball after yesterdays slip-up. ViginiaWoof darling you can do this. I posted the below.quote in the 24hr thread but thought I'd post it here to...it really resounded with me and reminded me of you VirginiaWoof.
So here it is....

Old 01-30-2016, 10:53 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mish View Post
Day 1 for this goofball after yesterdays slip-up. ViginiaWoof darling you can do this. I posted the below.quote in the 24hr thread but thought I'd post it here to...it really resounded with me and reminded me of you VirginiaWoof.
So here it is....

I'm glad this goofball is still here and posting!!! Stay close to us... You can do it...you're a January girl lol xxx
Old 01-30-2016, 11:18 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I had 26 days on Friday but messed it up and drank. I am drinking tonight too and will start again tomorrow. I don't know that I really want to count days anymore. It makes failing seem so much worse, but maybe that is what I need. Anyway, I was sober most of January and I know I can do it again. I honestly don't really know what happened. I know I wanted to drink and I didn't really put up much of a fight. I gave in pretty easily. I guess that means I probably need to tweak my plan. I will work on that tomorrow.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone~
Old 01-30-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI Emme - I'm glad you made it back.

I take your point about days, but I don't really think it's the counting days which is the problem.

I think you need a better plan.

What does your current plan look like? maybe we can help you make a better one?

D
Old 01-30-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I have made it through the weekend. 14 days.

I'm not feeling great, have a sore throat and no energy.

But I haven't had any suicidal thoughts - and lately most drinking sessions included those feelings during and or after wards - I don't miss that .

I still feel really daunted by how much work I need to do to make my life more meaningful for myself. And I think I could very easily go back to day 1. But I am trying to stay in the moment and not think too far ahead. One day at a time.

I have loved reading everyone elses posts this weekend. Thanks for the all the honesty and sharing.

Emme and Virginia just back on board when you are able. And keep posting in our January class, and any others.

Its a beautiful thing, the positive energy we are all sending each other from all over the world.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Lisa, sorry your day wasn't so great. Hang in there and fight the good fight.

Emme, start tomorrow by not drinking. Seriously. If you've got it in the home, pour it out. It's a good idea to rework your plan, seeing as it isn't producing desired results, but doing that tomorrow when you say you'll be drinking doesn't seem like a great idea to me. And throwing in the towel certainly doesn't! Listen, you can do this. We can do this.

Take a stand, tomorrow, for tomorrow only, that you won't drink tomorrow. Use that sober time to retool your plan, and start reaching out to the resources in your community and online, including here, that are in place to help us. You are not alone in this fight. You can win it, with help. But wars aren't won by surrenders, to tweak a bon mot from Churchill.

Stand your ground. We're here with you, shoulder-to-shoulder. One day at a time, and if need be, one moment at a time.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:09 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
Hi everyone, I had 26 days on Friday but messed it up and drank. I am drinking tonight too and will start again tomorrow. I don't know that I really want to count days anymore. It makes failing seem so much worse, but maybe that is what I need.
I don't think anyone needs anything that makes this harder - but equally anything that helps you stay off (IE protective of your days...) is a good thing.

Anyway, I was sober most of January and I know I can do it again. I honestly don't really know what happened. I know I wanted to drink and I didn't really put up much of a fight. I gave in pretty easily. I guess that means I probably need to tweak my plan. I will work on that tomorrow.

Sorry to hear this... Just don't wait to start day 1 again. Last time I failed to quit, I had the same "I know I can do it again" feeling - it was a full two years before I actually tried again...

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, Lisa. Thump & MAV~ I have no alcohol left here now so tomorrow will be my new day 1 (although technically not until Monday because I drank after midnight). Thank you all so much for your responses & support. I will do this again starting tomorrow. Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Morning everyone~

InControl- Those are some really great ideas. I love the journaling one, going to try it today when I start feeling cranky and see what happens! Also, I used to avoid the telephone but now I love how phone calls can take me away, like a movie! They really can help lift you up.

Caramel- Have a wonderful day 9 and congrats! You are really doing this!

Odelle- Cigs and coffee! You are amazing! Glad you are doing so well

Jim- nice work, keep it up!

Virginia- I truly hope you get to the meeting and make some new contacts/ support. Don't give up!

illi- Great idea, using the designated drive line if someone questions you. I have a feeling I am going to be the designated driver for DH for the rest of our lives! Not a bad thing although I wonder how tough it will be for those of us who still have a partner who drinks (are you worried about this too?) You sound really good and I love what you wrote at the end about drinking and sobriety. So glad to have you in our group

JCNY- me too! The house has been in much better shape since I stopped drinking. Enjoy the gym and your new lifestyle! I also used to eat a lot when drinking. Thank god that stopped!

Wish I could respond more but the baby is up. There goes my morning. I am having a really hard time these days with my mood. I have to stop the Wellbutrin because it is making me CRAZY. I spent all of yesterday yelling at the kids and trying to get space from them. Back to the drawing board. Honestly, I'd rather not be on meds and am feeling resentful about the fact that I can't just be a "normal person" who functions without medication. I am pissed about it.

On top of that, I broke my diet yesterday after 2.5 weeks and binged on carbs. It wasn't the worst thing in the world and the binge wasn't huge but still, I'm a bit dissapointed in myself. Then again, this will make it easier to continue for another 3 weeks which is what I'd like to do starting today.

Sorry I have been so cranky, I certainly don't want to feel this way. Hopefully the gym will make me feel better once everyone is up and I can get out of the house alone.
Happy Sunday dear friends...

Old 01-31-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lisatryingagain View Post

But I haven't had any suicidal thoughts - and lately most drinking sessions included those feelings during and or after wards - I don't miss that .

I still feel really daunted by how much work I need to do to make my life more meaningful for myself. And I think I could very easily go back to day 1. But I am trying to stay in the moment and not think too far ahead. One day at a time.

I have loved reading everyone elses posts this weekend. Thanks for the all the honesty and sharing.

Emme and Virginia just back on board when you are able. And keep posting in our January class, and any others.

Its a beautiful thing, the positive energy we are all sending each other from all over the world.
Lisa well done on 2 weeks... Sorry to hear her feeling crappy- hopefully it will pass soon.
Try just to stay in the moment for now..I get sooooo overwhelmed if I start to think too far into the future, and I don't cope.
Sending you love and lots of hugs xx
Old 01-31-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Originally Posted by lisatryingagain View Post

What an amazing achievement Lisa....14 days. Hope you feel better soon. Sending hugs your way xxx
Old 01-31-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Morning all - quick check in on day 27 ... I can smell 30 days just around the corner!!!

Everyone is doing so well ... Proud of you all!

Happy sober Sunday!!
Old 01-31-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Well done lulu! That's great- it feels good when we get some time behind us hey ?

I'm going to bed now and finishing day 21 X
Old 01-31-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Sunny-

I do worry about being in a marriage with someone who drinks. His drinking is as bad as mine was. To him it isn't that bad because it is done socially, while mine was mostly done alone and during the day. I try not to dwell on his problem at the moment because I'm putting everything into my sobriety. That is his journey. And we all know you can't make an alcoholic quit drinking. If it happens it will be when he is ready. I can just stay in this moment and not get to worked about the future of my marriage. I will cross that bridge when I have more time sober and am stronger all around.

Never feel that you are not "normal"! You are you... And how ever great or messed up that is find strength in that. As far as meds, I'm also dealing with the struggle of if I should or shouldn't start an antidepressant. I have taken them in the past and I did feel better but numb. I was drinking at the time of course so who knows...

But something is wrong if you are yelling at the kids. You sound very frustrated with your situation. I get it. I am shoulder the weight of taking care of my son alone ( husband works long hours and likes to do crap like he did last night) I always wanted to be a SAHM, but we can't afford it so I work 4 days a week. As much as I hate to leave my son I need that time to be myself. You need to find something for yourself! It will take sacrificing something but will be worth it. When you take the alcohol out you are left with a hole. We need to find what will fill it.

Just keep hanging in there((hugs))
Old 01-31-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

I just wanted to share a little hope here with people who have slipped up and feel frustrated. Your efforts are not futile, do not give up! I've slipped up many times in the past. The important thing is to not beat yourself up about it, congratulate yourself for the sober time you had, and do it again - this time with the wisdom of what made you slip last time. The hardest part is the beginning. When you're in the cycle of alcoholism, it's hard to break out. I went 6 months without drinking.. had a minor slip-up, and it took me 16 months before I was able to go a weekend without drinking again! I'm really proud of you all that can come right back at it. That shows you're serious about the problem. I will also say this weekend was the easiest time I've ever had not drinking. That's because I've been successful in the past and I've experienced how good I feel after long periods of time sober. I've gone much longer without a drink, how hard is one weekend! Every sober experience you have is a good one, and something to build on and never forget. Congrats all and keep going. Let's make February a sober one together.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

We graduate tomorrow!!! Can't wait to start a new month sober with all of you!! Bartender a round of sparkling water with limes please! Cheers
Old 01-31-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by benice View Post
So very sad to say I'm back to day one. I really want this one to stick. I want January to be my month and I've run out of do-overs for that to happen.
Benice I can sympathize with you. January has not been a good month for me. My original quit date was August 3rd.

January 7th I caved to my AV. Lasted 7 days. I had a new day one that only lasted until the 23rd. Now I'm starting another day one.

Hopefully we can both make this one stick!
Old 01-31-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
I honestly don't really know what happened. I know I wanted to drink and I didn't really put up much of a fight. I gave in pretty easily. I guess that means I probably need to tweak my plan. I will work on that tomorrow.

That's exactly what has happened to me. Twice this month I have given in to my
AV without a fight. I have tools. I just didn't use them!!!