Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone!! I'm an Alcoholic & brand new to this. I joined SR last month. Have had 2 sober dates in Dec 2015, but holidays were too tempting and I stumbled twice. My new sober date is 01.01.2016 !!!! Really wanting to make this one stick.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me... I'm in!! I can't make this another failed attempt. Last night and today I have read so many insightful posts here and think I found something. Trying to be positive too in saying that I sought for it instead of the other. A little bit further, just a little bit more, a little bit further than we've gone before.... HAPPY BREW FREE YEAR!!
Old 01-02-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Welcome IrishDee & Imnotalonjusblu.

I'm pretty new to this too, but from my early experience of SR I think you've made an excellent start checking in here. Some great people and experiences to learn from. I've already gained heaps of pointers.

Well worth checking in here as often as you can and learn from the experiences/links suggested on this site. Always seems to be someone on hand to help no matter how dire you may feel.

All the best with your commitment to a brighter future!

CC
Old 01-02-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Day 7 feeling good. Wife and kids returned from the New Years trip to my i laws...i avoided to avoid temptation...beingwithout the wife and kids on NYE was tough, but feeling like I made the right decision.

Still no desire to drink! One thing I did is that I put reminders on my phone between the hours of 4 - 7pm that send a message like don't drink, it's not worth it, how will drinking feel tomorrow, do it for the kids.

Just a small trick that may help
Old 01-02-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone
I found this site yesterday and its amazing.
I would like to join you all in the Jan 2016 club
I am 1 day today.
I will be very busy reading all of the very useful
Information and advice from you all and I hope
It will help me stay sober.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I would like to join this class please. Tomorrow will be my day 1.

I am going to the store tonight to get some non-alcoholic beverages. I have pop & tea here but want to have a lot of options available especially for the first few days.

I have started to put a plan together. I was in the June class and had 67 days but never had a formal plan and I am hoping this will help. I want this to be my final day 1.

I have a lot of alcohol here that I need to get rid of. A few days ago my parents and sister in law brought over what seems like all of the left over wine from Christmas and they don’t know I am trying not to drink. It can’t stay here because I will drink it eventually. My brother is coming over soon and I am going to ask him to take it back. They are showing their house and don’t want alcohol there but I can’t keep it here either.

Golfdad - I like the reminders on your phone, I might try that

Happy New Year everyone
Old 01-02-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Welcome on board Lolly! I've recently found this place too, and it has already exceeded my expectations. Keep with it in coming days, keep busy and post as much as you can. You'll gain a lot.

Welcome to you too Emme - pleased you're with us!

CC
Old 01-02-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Greetings! I originally started my sober journey in the January class of 2014 and just thought I would chime in for a bit of nostalgia and to wish everyone determination, strength, great discoveries and success in your sober journey.

As you can see from my sign up date, I did not exactly made my very first appearance on SR two years ago... but as soon as I started using the forum frequently (on daily basis and more) and consistently, finding also many other ways to get support and connection here and to develop a strategy of recovery in many areas of my life, it worked for the first time. The class thread back then was important as a takeoff because I had no idea what to do at first... it pulled together quite quickly taking time and effort.

Have a great sober month and many more, friends!
Old 01-02-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Trying

Hi all, had some great support on here in the past and back again today for a fresh crack at being clean. Christmas is a hard time of year for me and I ended up drinking very heavily, taken drugs too and my body and mind are shot. I've had one too many suicidal thoughts and need to gain control again. I felt like I was losing my mind Christmas eve and it scared the hell out of me. I am not going to sit here and say "this is it this time!" or anything like that, I am just going to focus on getting well in good time and by posting here again. Happy new year everyone.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I am so excited to see people saying "Day 2." My quit date is January 11, and I can't wait to start reporting here daily: Day 1...Day 2...etc.

I can't wait to get going!
Old 01-02-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Welcome maverickspoint and SoberinSyracuse.

Happy new year to you both and I look forward to sharing experiences as we carve out our sobriety in 2016.

CC
Old 01-02-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

A very warm welcome to everyone new here
D
Old 01-02-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Welcome everyone.

Maverickspoint I have had some dark thoughts also lately, I do know for sure that the alcohol is the very worst thing any of use an do as far as helping us to feel worthless and useless. Hang in there, you and I and everyone else on here can do this together.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Sober since 1st January 2016

I went back to drinking after my auntie died at the end of October. I'm ready for a lasting change now though. Thanks for the motivating posts in this thread X.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberinSyracuse View Post
I am so excited to see people saying "Day 2." My quit date is January 11, and I can't wait to start reporting here daily: Day 1...Day 2...etc.

I can't wait to get going!
Why wait?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:33 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hey there ladies and gents. I'm back after about a year long meltdown. I sought help in October of 2014 and my insurance (in a more polite way) basically told me to screw off and the substance abuse clinic in my town only had hours for when I was at work. So.. I said well ok, I'm done. This is who I am. This is what I deserve. Drink, drink, drink some more.

So the 2015/16 annual shutdown at work gave me 11 days off. I was drinking about a case a day. I don't drink and drive, but the trips to my familys' houses on christmas were frightening. The withdraw left me dizzy, sweating, numb hands, paranoia, and an overwhelming fear that I was GOING to crash. No biggie though - I just hit up the corner store for another case on the way home. On the 27th of December (my birthday), I hit a new record: 33 beers in one night (just over 3 gallons of beer). On the 29th, I decided it was time.

I've been on a fairly slow taper since the 29th and working my way down. I know I could end up in the ER or worse if I don't. I bought a decent BP and heart rate monitor just to keep tabs on the situation as I go. I had hoped to have my last drink tomorrow, but I started feeling a little tight chested and my BP just shot up to 150/108 about 30 minutes ago. Don't worry though; I'm sipping some more brew and keeping a close eye to make sure it goes back down (it should). It's my own fault though. I went from one every hour yesterday to one every two hours today and that seemed to be too drastic. All said, I'd estimate that I'm on day -2 or -3. I'm determined though. I look forward to hearing all of your stories, as well as sharing mine.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:45 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Machinist I'm so very glad to hear that you are deciding to quit. I too experienced those same withdrawals coming back from work on Monday and had to go to the ER I somehow managed to drive myself to the hospital but that was a miracle. When I got there my BP was 178/107 and I couldn't stop shaking and was given multiple IV's. Please don't let it get to that. It really sucked and that was my wake up call. I realized that I have to quit or I'll die soon. This is at age 27, all alcohol does is kill you slowly.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I hear ya dtt. I finally decided I'm worth saving and this is going to stop. I've never blacked out (while sober) but I honestly felt like I was going to do so while going 70mph down the highway. Big wake up call. The even bigger one was looking in my fridge on the 28th and seeing how much I actually drank and realizing how far I've fallen.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:00 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. I'm signing up for the January 2016 group. Have made a commitment to quit drinking and I am working on my plan now to make sure it sticks this time.

Happy New Year!!
Old 01-02-2016, 11:06 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Good luck on your endeavor to sobriety Dudette. You got this