Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 5

Old 12-25-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Unfolding wings

How do I become a member of a class?
The class threads are grouped by months. It's generally the month you're trying to get sober in

The most recent thread is the Class of December. It's here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pt-2-a-17.html

All you need to join is to post on the thread, just like you have here

a group?
same deal - just post on the thread you want to join

How do you get friends?
you can invite someone to be your friend...under UserCP towards the top left hand side of every page..

there's a drop down menu - go to 'contacts and friends' and enter the name of the person/s you want to befriend..they'll get a friend invite and it's up to them to respond

I'm not sure if there's a required post number for you to be able to do that ...you may have to wait until you have a few more posts?

Welcome aboard - any other questions let me know

D
Old 12-26-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Hello Class of October 2015! This is my class
Old 12-26-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Welcome Unfoldingwings! Very glad to have you here : ) We have a small group, but it's nice and cozy, and I love it!
It is cold day here in southern Arizona. I was going to take my family to do stuff outside today, but it's 31 degrees with a real feel of 21. We don't want to be outside today. We are going to go out to eat then see Daddy's Home. It looks funny!
So I've had people in my home since Wednesday drinking, and what I'm seeing is I'm really not missing anything by not drinking. It doesn't make anything better. You still have to do all the same things, you just feel worse later. Seeing them drink has actually been really good for my resolve to not drink.
I hope everyone has a great sober day today!
Old 12-26-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Grizzly It is warm in Virginia today. It sounds like you are doing well, I'm trying hard to connect with people here. I don't do the AA thing, living in a tiny town as a medical professional I just can't/won't do it, right now anyways. But I have an appt with a counselor 1/4 and I am counting the days!
Old 12-26-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Welcome UnfoldingWings! I'm right next door in Maryland - crazy warm weather we've been having!

Grizzly, so glad you're getting through the Christmas holiday just fine and seeing alcohol for what it really is! I have been pretty much isolating myself here at home with my kids. We had a great holiday, super chilled out. My daughter and I watched one of our favorite shows last night (New Girl) and laughed a lot. Felt good.

Today I have to clean up the house as much as I can and do things like replacing light bulbs and refrigerator filters, etc. Not terribly exciting but satisfying to be on top of the household things. A little later I will go to see Star Wars for a second time, this time by myself! That's crazy, I know but I missed the first 10 minutes of the show the first time (because my son wanted popcorn and was going to make my life miserable until I got it for him) so I want to see it from start to finish without interruptions.

I'm on Day 4 and having no cravings. The last binge really needs to be the last. It did nothing for me but make me contact an ex-boyfriend that I really didn't want in my life again. Ugh!

Have a great Saturday/Boxing Day everyone!
Old 12-26-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Hey all,welcome Unfoldingwings😊 Grizzly,our desert weather got flipped flopped with the east I think, its soooo cold and windy I don't want to do/go anywhere! Hope everyone had a nice Christmas, I've been unbelievably tired these past 2 days regardless of how many cups of coffee I drink,hubs swears its that turkey effect,maybe,hello to all and enjoy your day😊
Old 12-26-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Merry Xmas even though its been and gone. I have had a drinking xmas. Before I get shot down its been a very "normal" boozy drinking. Not over the top, no hangovers. I am still walking and got my fitbit!
I will stay here though even though I am not sober and drinking. That was the deal right?
I have set my new sobriety date in the New Year and after my trip home.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

and welcome unfolding
Old 12-26-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by sydneyman View Post
Merry Xmas even though its been and gone. I have had a drinking xmas. Before I get shot down its been a very "normal" boozy drinking. Not over the top, no hangovers. I am still walking and got my fitbit!
I will stay here though even though I am not sober and drinking. That was the deal right?
I have set my new sobriety date in the New Year and after my trip home.
This may not be a popular view...but I think if you're going to post here, you should at least try not to drink Sydneyman - at least make some effort.

I understand people still drinking - I have NO problem with people who slip posting here....

but this is a support thread for people trying not to drink....and I really don't think it's fair to them without at least some effort being made.

Right now I expect your AV - the same AV that told you you did ok over Christmas cos you didn't get drunk - is saying something like

"OK then! eff you Dee and eff this thread...I'll be back when I'm sober...."

But I hope you stay around - and that you make that effort to stay sober.

D
Old 12-26-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

The recent and upcoming time off has seen my boredom levels ratchet up to a potentially dangerous level.

The weather is cold, windy and dark. I've been to the gym and am back with nothing to do. Over the last few days I've tried some "work" and watched everything that YouTube has to offer. My mind has turned to drink to help the time pass but i don't even have any desire to drink. My enthusiasm for everything has been flayed away to nothing.

I have work tomorrow then I'm off till the 4 th. I'm not looking forward to the time off.

Other than that I'm peachy (and contently sober).
Old 12-26-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Administrator

You have no hobbies or interests you'd like to pursue Midton?

D
Old 12-26-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Hi sydneyman, its good to hear from you!
Midton, sorry to hear about the boredom, but I am so glad to hear you are staying sober through it!
Daddy's Home was hilarious! We all really enjoyed it. I really recommend it if you need a good laugh. It was a fun thing to do to pass the time that you really don't have to think about.
I just played three and half hours of monopoly - sober! I haven't done that since I was a kid. It was fun : )
Old 12-27-2015, 12:17 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You have no hobbies or interests you'd like to pursue Midton?

D
My hobbies have always been sporting and here I'm restricted to participating in sport, something which I can only do for a short, set amount of time each day.

People here just seem to work and their closest friend seem to be those they made in their early teens. My loneliness, and boredom, isn't a new thing, it's something I've struggled with for maybe 15 years. Starting a business helped but that's become rote these days.

Don't want to drone on about this as it really is a separate issue from drinking. Although not drinking leads to more hours to proactively deal with.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:03 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't want to bang on about it, but it seems counter productive to simply accept boredom.

Outside of sport, there must be things you've wanted to try or that interest you, surely?

D
Old 12-27-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't want to bang on about it, but it seems counter productive to simply accept boredom.

Outside of sport, there must be things you've wanted to try or that interest you, surely?

D
Nope. Sad as it is over the years I've grown jaded and pessimistic. I've no curiosity or desire to learn new things. This might sound like a joke but I don't even have the concentration to watch or read anything non-fiction. I think it's the result of years after year of only working and working out.

I really can't think of anything, apart from possibly starting a new business, that could potentially capture my imagination.

The more I think about it it may well be that the reason I've been so successfully sober this time is that I've lost even the desire to drink. God this must be my mid-life crisis.

Thanks for your positive prodding Dee. I'll be in a more positive frame of mind shortly once I break the back of the winter season.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Good morning! Lots of posts - I like it!

Sydneyman, you're always welcome to post here in my opinion - please stay with the group!

Midton, I'm sorry you're dealing with a winter malaise. I hope it lifts soon. The new year always brings new promise, I believe!

I'm doing well. Yesterday I saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens for the second time. Even better the second time - lots of details I missed the first time around. The woman next to me was drinking a sort of beer or ale during the movie and I could smell it from time to time. It didn't trigger me at all - I was never a huge beer drinker (okay, maybe in college), but it didn't make me want to drink at all. I just felt like I was at a baseball game where the smell is just wafting around. No big deal. And the movie was awesome.

This morning I'm going to see one more movie by myself - Sisters. I'm excited - looks funny. Thanks for the movie recommendation, Grizzly (Daddy's Home) - will put it on my Netflix queue!

After the movie I have a large list of things to do and then yoga at 4:00 pm.

My ex isn't leaving me alone - I have been ignoring him and he thinks something is wrong with me. No, nothing is wrong - I just want to have my life the way I like it and that doesn't involve endless hours of sexting online (something I did in my early 40's with him when I was recently divorced). I find that completely a waste of my time at this point, so I'm avoiding him at all costs. When I chatted with him on the night I drank I didn't even get into that, I was just friendly like a friend, so that's probably why he keeps coming back - thinking he can get that out of me. Nope, not this time.

Also, I deactivated Facebook again last night and I feel great! It's like detaching myself from a huge heavy anchor - that's how it feels! So light and wonderful.

Okay guys, have a great Sunday!!
Old 12-27-2015, 09:23 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Hi! It's late, and I have to get up really early for work tomorrow : ( I dropped my mom and her boyfriend off at the airport this evening, and despite all the booze around these last few days, I will gladly be going to bed sober again tonight. I had a great time with my family. This Christmas was the best one I've had in years. I'm thinking being sober has a lot to do with that : ) I did witness first hand the obsession with drinking - getting the drink, keeping it around, planning when to get more. It reminded me so much of myself, and I am overwhelmed with gratitude to not be there anymore. Being sober is better than I ever imagined.
Juno, did you enjoy your movie?
What did you decide to do today, Midton?
How's it going sydneyman? I miss your posts!
Winslow and Unfoldingwings, I hope yall are doing well!!
Old 12-28-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Hi Grizzly - I have to go to work today, too. I'm off soon - just wanted to say hi! You sound so strong and positive - I love it!!

I, too, am suddenly feeling strong even though only on Day 6 (again). It's like I have built up to this moment getting rid of everything that has been holding me back (drinking, Facebook, the ex-boyfriend, and combinations of all of the three). Yep, I only contact the ex when I've been drinking. And, Facebook was my fallback place to "connect" with others when drinking. All 3 are going at the same time, before the new year begins, so that I can clear space for new things to come in 2016. Yesterday for the first time ever I deactivated the chat feature on my email so that my ex cannot contact me in that way anymore. It was empowering!! He used to feel free to chat like that with me whenever he felt like it, and at one point it was welcome, but it's not welcome anymore. If he wants to contact me he can send me an email like any other person who wants to get in touch with me. He doesn't have special privileges. I feel so very strong and free today!

At yoga yesterday, the teacher said a quote that really resonated with me (I'm paraphrasing):

"Stop asking for what you want, and start letting the universe give you what you need."

Was pretty powerful to me. That's where I am.

Grizzly, the movie (Sisters) was really funny and good for a few laughs. I would categorize it as raunchy (in the same way that Bridesmaids was) but super funny and ridiculous! It was what I needed yesterday - some comic relief.

Everyone else - hope you check in today - was pretty quiet around here yesterday! Okay, off to work.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Guys ((hug))!
I hope everyone had a very Merry Chrisymas! Still think of you all! I'm around and still sober. Been busy and haven't been able to keep up with the threads. Dealing with the stuff I carry around inside and having a bit of a time with it. Been quiet cause I'm struggling putting things into words. It sounds a bit ridiculous when I try so maybe it is unfounded. Hope you'll still have me in your class. I'm trying to get back if I can just catch a break!
Old 12-28-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Hey all,still truckin along😊 back to work today and I'm glad! Was getting the same feeling that Midton was describing, just kinda ”meh" with too much time on my hands,too cold to do anything, too broke to do anything, so getting back to my routine is good,Juno,glad you liked the movies,"Sisters" would defo hafta be something to watch without hubs cuz he's not into anything that's not action packed,he'd say "chick flick" and move on,Grizzly,I saw Grizzlies vs someone on the TV screen when I was searching for something decent to watch,thought of you Sydney,I hope you're ok,hello to all,off to start my day😊