Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 5

Old 12-17-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Juno, this is the place to come with all your emotions and feelings. Its good to have a whinge now and then.. Your week is almost over and that weekend before xmas is ahead of you.. We have a tradition of either working half day on xmas eve or new years eve. Your name ia drawn out of a hat.. I got xmas eve which means I get to leave at 1230pm and not back to the office until Tuesday morning..Last year it was the same.. Last xmas day I had 4 weeks under my belt sober and broke it with a beer. This year no way José..
Cheer up guys, I know its middle of your winter and its dark and gloomy but ride it through sober. I admire you of your determination!! You inspire me.. Cheerio from beautiful sunny Sydney. Couldnt ask for a better day, and I am sober, tops it of!
Old 12-17-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Thanks guys and stay strong! ((Hug))!!
Old 12-17-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Whew! Whoa yall. I just survived the whole office getting merry on the spiked egg nog. My boss brought it in for everyone, and I said no thank you, I will toast with my cherry coke. He was like are you sure, just a little taste, like one drop? I said no, really none. They were like oh my gosh you really quit drinking?? They could hardly believe it! They all said they were so proud of me and how wonderful that was, and one girl was even asking questions about how I stopped. It was a really positive reaction. I hung out with them while they had seconds on the egg nog, and I really wasn't bothered. I didn't feel weird about being the only one not drinking, instead I felt really proud of it. There was no way I was going to drink. I was surprised with a Christmas bonus and left the office feeling absolutely fantastic! I had so much positive energy I had to channel it so I got home and immediately hit the road to run. Man, I was feelin' it! I just ran for an hour feeling so unbelievably happy. Wow, what a great day! The feeling I have right now is just amazing. I feel kind of bad saying that because Juno and Winslow have had rough days. I'm so proud of you ladies for not drinking over it!! I love our group : ) Thank yall so much for helping me be strong enough to not drink today.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Grizz what a fab post.. So many positives. Well done!!!
Old 12-17-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Heyyyyyy! How is everyone, just swinging by to check in and let you guys know I'm still sober, today marks 2 months! I'm doing good, rarely think of booze, usually I will miss it at social gatherings but I manage. I'm keeping up with the fitbit, getting about 14,000 steps a day, have lost a few pounds and feel great, blood pressure is as low as I've ever seen it. I miss you guys and think of you often, take care, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Old 12-17-2015, 09:45 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats L4aW - Happy Holidays to you too

D
Old 12-18-2015, 12:07 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas and a Happy Sober New Year. You doing so well. Fantastic news.. I intend to get a fitbit for myself as a present to motivate me even more in the new year..Well done !
Old 12-18-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Good morning on a FRIDAY (though it would never come!)

Grizzly, I'm so glad you had a great day. I'm hoping to have a day or two just like that. This week I was unable to exercise except for my Monday yoga class mostly due to schedule reasons and I know that has contributed to my stress. As soon as the Christmas madness is over, I will focus on working out because I love it (running and yoga, mostly, maybe a bike ride when I can!) Yesterday while out shopping I picked up a copy of Oprah's magazine because of the words on the cover "THE YEAR OF YOU." I really liked that and it struck me as something I needed to read and work on. I plan to make 2016 the year of me!!

Looking4a Wagon, so glad to hear it. You're doing awesome. Check in when you can - always welcome!

Looking4 and Sydneyman - enjoy your Fitbits. I have a similar one (Garmin Vivofit) which I like I lot, but I lost interest in tracking things a while ago. I keep it on as a watch right now. And to look cool because everyone else has one of these things But maybe I'll start using it as intended in the new year!!

So I realized that I had the Christmas spirit a while back when I put up my Christmas tree, was listening to some Christmas tunes (my dog really liked the relaxing nature of Christmas music as opposed to the stuff I usually play like Twenty One Pilots and Red Hot Chili Peppers!) and then I did a lot of Christmas shopping and I was REALLY in a good mood and good spirits. But this past week sucked the life out of me because I had too many appointments, too much work and too much real life drama/issues. That's the kind of stuff that drains me. I need more:
- fun
- exercise
- yoga
- self care/wellness
- good time with family
- time for personal projects

At least I realize what I need. And will work to make it happen soon!

So today will be an interesting day. I have two kid related (school related) conferences in the morning, following by going into the office and trying to do a little work, a company wide phone call where they announce the profits for the year and how they will be shared (I will most likely get a little bonus to help offset all the Christmas expenses), and then our fun office party and gift exchange (everyone picks a number out of a hat, picks a gift, can steal other people's gifts, etc.) It's always fun. There will be alcohol at the party but it's not the main focus - there will always be yummy food - so I will be just fine. Not worried at all about this one. Then I need to turn around and run home and take my kids to see Star Wars - The Force Awakens. We have tickets already....

I will check in later - Winslow, I hope we both have better days today. Midton, how's it going?
Old 12-18-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hello..Busy busy.. Had a good sleep and went for my morning walk, later today than usual. The sun was too hot I prefer the sunrise walks.
So Christmas has come to our house and my partner is in full Christmas swing. His mother arrives on Christmas Eve so suddenly after deciding that we are not decorating at all, he bought a real Christmas tree and we are fully decorating. I am busy cooking. Thought I post quickly this morning.

Juno want 2016 to be MY YEAR as well.
But I am dreading my visit to Finland in the coming 3 weeks in January and witnessing my mums deterioration . It is so hard to see how a person becomes a shadow of their former self. I need to keep strong. Thankfully my sister is not a drinker and I have my supporting partner with me. I got her some nice colourful scarfs as late Christmas presents to give her and to brighten her. She was always an immaculate woman and appearance was always so important. She is not able to dress herself or use her arms but I will show the nurses how.

On a brighter note, still sober hope you all are as well!
Old 12-18-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi all, checking in again. I made it through the day and the week - phew. Today was actually a very good day overall, lots of positive things, though stressful at times because there was so much going on. The office party was good fun! And the new Star Wars movie was awesome...

On to the weekend - going to try to catch up on things, do some yoga, get ready for Christmas and also celebrate my daughter's birthday. This is one of the busiest times of the year for me!

Sydneyman - sounds festive at your house! I hope you enjoy it. Try not to stress about your trip. I know it's going to be difficult, but you'll deal with it when it comes.

Okay, will check in over the weekend. I'm going to need a lot of sleep tonight. I am tired!!
Old 12-18-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

It's great to hear from you looking! Congrats on 2 months!!
Sydneyman, you are sounding jolly : )
Juno, glad to hear you had such a nice day! Happy for you : )
Winslow, did you have a better day today?
We haven't heard from Midton in a few days...
I had a long day at work. It was 5:15, and I was so ready to be done. Everyone else was leaving to go drink, but I told myself don't think about that, just stay calm and get this done. It was 5:45 when I ended up leaving, so I was really late to my 5:30 meeting, but I still made it. With everyone from the office leaving to drink and me not wanting to drink I thought I need to do the opposite of what they are doing and that's go to an AA meeting. I am so glad I did. It was a good meeting! I left and ran a few quick errands, and on my way home I realized I really did get everything done today that needed to be done, and I stayed calm. Today was a good day.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Checking in. Been feeling really tired recently, too much gym and too much work I guess.

Spending another Saturday night watching movies and eating junk and still crave free. Things are going great on the alcohol front and feel strong about the festive period. Fingers crossed that this continues.

I think I'm lucky in that I don't have many drinking temptations here. I drank alone at home mostly and as my wife doesn't drink there is never any alcohol around the house.

I read up on the posts later and wish everyone a great weekend.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hey all,everyone sounds really good😊 I don't know how I'm feeling, I don'twant to drink,iI know the reality of what happens and all of the nonsense that it brings but this past week I haven't been very happy, could be PAWS,could be the holidays,I really don't know,I find myself irritable, tired and going to bed early hoping for a better day,I really need to change my attitude cuz I know that its key to making sobriety work in my favor,instead ofit feeling like a punishment,hope everyone has a nice weekend😊
Old 12-19-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Good afternoon! I am feeling so tired today as well. It's really gloomy outside, and that definitely doesn't help. I got out early on a Saturday, that's unusual for me, and took care of a few things. Then I took a nap. So blah today. I have so much to do before my family comes in Wednesday so I better get moving!
Old 12-19-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I'm doing well today - still a bit stressed, but some relief as we had a birthday party for my daughter today it was successful. We had some really yummy snacks and then gourmet cupcakes and then she opened her presents and she seemed happy. Phew!! Tomorrow is her actual birthday but we're celebrating today because her Dad is taking her out to dinner. It's tough having a birthday so close to Christmas! So tonight will work on some paperwork and Christmas cards so that I can concentrate on Christmas prep tomorrow. Sorry - this was like one big "to do" list - but feeling like that lately! I did get to yoga this morning and that helped my mood. Tomorrow, I hope to go to yoga as well...a little self care in the middle of all this craziness! No thoughts of drinking. Winslow and Grizzly, sorry you are feeling blah. Things will get better - we all have those days! Midton, sounds like a relaxing weekend!!
Old 12-19-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

Christmas seems to be tough for a lot of people this year. I'm not usually affected but I really struggled with 'meh' this last week.

Feeling 'normal' again now - keep on pushing, guys

D
Old 12-19-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your encouragement! That made me smile : )
I finally got moving this afternoon and got some stuff done. That helped me feel better. I am going to be productive for a little while longer then watch a movie. I'm looking forward to it!
Juno, so glad to hear your daughter's birthday was a success! You have been working so hard lately, and you sound great!
Old 12-20-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hey all,Dee,I guess that's how I've been feeling too just"meh" not happy not sad just blah,had a physical craving yesterday! Its the first one since I quit,I hate that feeling! It was a culmination of a bunch of different stuff,but I'm ok today,just gotta keep my head on straight and know that sobriety is what I want,need,really crave,hope we all have an easy day😊
Old 12-20-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I woke up with a cold (caught from my son, I'm sure - he's been sick with it since last week). Just what I didn't need at this busy time, but I'll deal somehow! Took some Advil when I woke up because my head was pounding (from the cold, thankfully not a hangover!) and then recently took some cough/flu syrup to keep me going. I'm not able to get in bed all day and recover so got to keep afloat with meds. Anyway, I'm not complaining because I'm still feeling festive Hope everyone is doing well on this Sunday!
Old 12-20-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Good Morning, Monday and last short working week for me. Cant wait for the break. The weekend was really busy. Got sunburnt!
Juno hope you get rid of that bug in time for xmas..Have a good week!