Notices

Class of October 2015 Part 5

Old 12-28-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Hi All - New member -- I have a life changing sober date of 10/19/15
Old 12-28-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Hi SlangLSU! Hope things are going well for you!

I'm doing fine. Worked just about a full day. Ate some stuff (too much junk - note to self: diet in the new year), no wine cravings. So coasting along okay. Have to work again tomorrow, but that's okay. Then I get another break for New Year's.

Hey KeyofC, welcome back! Fill us in when you can!
Old 12-28-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome SlangLSU

Good to hear from you KeyOfC

D
Old 12-28-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Welcome, slanglsu!
Hi key, good to hear from you! : )
Juno, it sounds like you had a great day! You sound so good and strong!!
Haha, winslow, glad you thought of me : ) my team is not doing so well this year, but I still love 'em.
I am so tired tonight. I saw 18 houses today. I didn't fall into that weird period late in the day where I can't think straight like I have before. I think my brain is healing! I just got kind of quiet when I got tired and kept working. It was 18 degrees when I started working this morning, and I haven't been able to warm up ever since. I got home and crashed on the bean bag for two hours, now I'm here to check in and see how everyone's day was, then I'm going to bed!
Old 12-29-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Good morning all! It's a rainy, soggy day here on the East Coast! Headed to work soon.

Grizzly, that sounds like a crazy day - 18 houses! Yikes! And 18 degrees! Oh my! It's cooler here now but I think around 45 or 50. Just kind of dreary all around.

I'm doing well - on Day 7 again. I'm going into the new year with a clear head and a clear vision. I think I finally understand a concept that I have been playing around with in my head. Clearing space for something new. I have been trying to do this for years, with some success, but now it's finally clicking with me. By expending energy on things that are not enriching or helpful to my soul in some way, I'm blocking the space that could be used for new and better things. For example, by eliminating Facebook from my life, I've just freed up my brain to think of other things other than what all my high school friends are doing today. And by blocking the ex on chat, I have eliminated wasting my time doing something that I didn't really want - but what HE wanted to do. Ahhhh - it's all clicking right now. Taking charge of my life and taking charge of what I want to be doing. It goes without saying that drinking was the worst of all the vices because it affected me physically, ruined my chances for a good day the next day, and caused me to engage in behavior that is against what I want for myself. So good to go into the new year with this clarity. I have to not be afraid of empty space - because that is where the growth can happen and new things and ideas can come from.

Okay, I'll check in later!
Old 12-29-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hi all - Thanks for all the welcomes.

Today is going good. I'm onto day 72 today. I feel great and have managed to start a routine that includes a morning workout almost everyday.

I'm stuck in the office pretty much all day today and tomorrow - being in outside sales office days are not my favorite... but I am trying to remain grateful.

the last week or so I have really started to feel like my "old" self again -- and I have noticed that the thoughts of "I can have just one" have pooped up a few times.. this is why I need to get to as many meetings as possible to remind my self that I never want to go back to the misery that was me while drinking. one drink for me can lead to a while lot of trouble and I have been down that path for the last time.

thanks for reading.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Juno, I like your post! That's a really good way to look at things. I think growth and new ideas are so exciting. I get excited thinking about what all I can accomplish now and in the future. It struck me the other day that it would be really sad to have never given myself this opportunity. I don't even know what I'm fully capable of yet, but I'm looking forward to learning! Thank you for your post : )
I had a good day at work and a decent run. It sure was cold. I looked up at one point to see all the stars, and it was just beautiful! I'm going to hurry off to a 7:30 meeting now. It was really good last week so I'm going to try it again.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Thanks, Grizzly! Good going SlangLSU - day 72 is amazing!!

I also went to a meeting tonight. I have a good group with SMART Recovery. They have become like family to me! I haven't been going every week, but I need to go more in the new year. So glad I went tonight! Okay, gotta run and watch some TV with my daughter!
Old 12-30-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Hey all,sounds like everyone is doing good😊 not much to report, looking forward to the new year but a little melancholy thinking of 2015 I had so many quit dates I really wish one of the earlier ones had stuck,oh well I can't change the past, hope everyone has a nice Wednesday😊
Old 12-30-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is doing well!
My work day was fine really, but I got home and I didn't like my attitude. I went for a run to change my attitude and try to figure out what was wrong. I came to the conclusion that two things were bothering me, and both can be fixed with some effort on my part.
1) Everybody was talking at work today about their new years eve plans, and that definitely involves heavy drinking. I got to hear all about drinking again today, and that's not new, but I think what bothered me was that they are all wanting to leave work early tomorrow to start drinking, and I don't know what I'm going to do. So I just have to figure that out. Have a plan. I know I can enjoy the holiday without drinking, I just did that with Christmas. We'll probably rent movies and play board games, and that's just fine with me. If it gets hard, there is an alcathon going on at my usual Friday night meeting place and they have events planned.
2) I've mentioned a lot that my significant other moves out of state in a couple of weeks, but I really haven't addressed with myself how that shakes up my whole routine. SR, running, and meetings have been so huge in helping me stay sober. I'm not sure what I'll do when I can't do two of those things whenever I need to. I've been thinking oh, I'll figure it out, but it dawned on me while I was running that it's best not to wait til I'm barely hanging on to figure it out. Plan now!! This weekend I am going to sit down and take a look at how my schedule is going to go and plan what I am going to do to stay sober through the upcoming changes. Things are about to get really hectic for me, but I've got to make time to do the things that keep me sober. I heard last week that the first thing you put in front of your sobriety is the second thing to go if you go back to drinking. That stuck with me. So, I think it was the not knowing that bothered me today, but now I see what I need to do.
Sorry so long! I needed to process. Thank you for allowing me to do that : )
Old 12-31-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Well we had a small family New Year's Eve house party. Started at 4 and it's now 8:30 and I'm sitting watching tv and intending to go to bed soon; I'm going to the gym tomorrow.

I'm at the stage now where drinking isn't really tempting at all. Tonight no one drank but even if they had I'd have been fine. I'm looking forward to the new year. I've kind of made a decision to not go home next year (might change) and can really, honestly envision myself making a year if I don't. Going home the peer pressure would probably still get me.

I'm pretty much chuffed that I've made it through Christmas and new year sober, and not just that but I made it without even a slight dodgy moment. I'm not sure how I managed this or what gave me the resolve this time, perhaps the multitude of failed attempts were not really failures but stepping stones to success.

Have a great 2016 everyone.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you Midton

D
Old 12-31-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Midton, that's awesome!! Happy 2016 : )
Old 12-31-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Happy 2016! I gotta be honest, I'm feeling yuck and blah going into the new year. I felt a lot better a couple of days ago. I don't have cravings to drink, just feeling kind of pessimistic as we start the new year. I don't even have too many regrets about relapses I've had, I just feel a whole lot of empty. I thought about having a glass of champagne tonight just to have a cooler sobriety date (1/1/2016) but I know that's stupid because then I have to start the counting all over again. To be honest, I don't even want the buzz that drinking gives these days. Oh sorry guys, I wish I were feeling more upbeat to ring in the new year. This is not like me at all.... There's still time for the emotions to turn around, so I'm hoping. It's only 2:00 pm. Hope everyone is doing well today/tonight.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Sorry guys, as I typed that out that seemed really stupid - having a glass of champagne in order to get a cool sobriety date. Nix that idea. I'll be on Day 10 tomorrow. And I plan to stay sober all of 2016 and 2017. Haven't planned beyond that

I'm going to order some pizza and diet coke and pick it up soon. That's enough of a New Year's treat for me. Hopefully mood will pick up soon, too. My dog's been sick and had a bunch of shots yesterday that made him very depressed, so I'm absorbing some of that depression. My kids have been low energy, too, so I'm not feeling too much energy here. Okay, time to self-motivate!
Old 12-31-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you nixed the idea Juno

D
Old 12-31-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Happy New Year friends, I hope everyone has a safe,sober,sane night,Juno,hold strong day 10 is much better than day 1😊
Old 12-31-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

You all are right - even though I only have 9 days straight right now, going into the new year on Day 10 is way better than on Day 1. I didn't really want to drink - it was my AV trying to find a way to sneak in there. Glad it didn't work.

I did have a moment of strange craving this afternoon. I was going to pick up a pizza for me and the kids. The pizza place is right next to (of course) a wine and beer shop. I saw so many people going into the bottle shop to presumably get their supplies for the night. I saw a sign that said, "Wine Tasting - today" and I started walking toward the shop as if a robot had taken hold of my body. It was the strangest feeling. As I got to the front door, I looked in, turned around and walked away. Then I picked up the pizza, cokes and went home. I'm safely home and fed and no more strange temptations.

Happy New Year, all!! 2016 begins soon.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Juno, I feel ya! I worked through my stuff yesterday and was feeling better by last night, but then this evening I am feeling down again. I almost feel like crying but I don't know why. That's really not like me. I did have a thought earlier that one day maybe I can drink normally again (sorry Juno, I know you don't like that word, but I have to use it because it fits with the quote I'm about to say), then I remembered a quote: "if I could drink normally, I'd do it all the time." Ha! So true, that's me. Not exactly sure what's going on with me, but I'm not going to drink over it. That will lead to regret not relief. It's only two kind of rough days in a row, but it feels like such a big deal to me right now. I'm holding on for the better days I know are ahead!
I hope everyone has a great sober evening! Looking forward to starting the new year with you, gang : )
Old 12-31-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

On a positive note, I have 100 days today! 100 consecutive days sober. Wow. Grateful!!