Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 50

Old 01-06-2016, 04:45 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Welcome, Silly!

Vona, good going staying sober for the first week! You can do this.

Michael, Toots said it well. Each day sober is a big gift to ourselves and those around us. It's a gift that keeps on getting better as the days go by.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

I'm wishing you peace and happiness as well Key! Of course this goes for everyone reading this too.

Congratulations on one week Vona.

It sounds like you are off to a solid start Michael. Keep taking things one day at a time!

I'm still plugging along the path to recovery. I'm doing well and working on staying sober. Thanks everyone here for posting. All of your stories, whether you have been sober for only a couple of days or for years helps me stay focused on recovery.

Hi Silly!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

Oh my, welcome to all the new Undies.

Drake, if I knew how to make those fireworks things that you do, I would for sure be posting it in honor of your 1000 days sober. Since I am at a loss to accomplish that task...here you go.

Silly, I can only speak for myself here...by far, alcohol is my drug of choice. My program of recovery has taught me that I am powerless over that liquid. However, after 8 years of repeated relapse following a long stint /over a decade alcohol-free, I have chosen to eliminate any substance that alters reality. I believe that when I alter my reality, I am closer to my next drink than I am further away.

Key, congrats on your sober and quite busy lifestyle that has led to 160 days of freedom.

Welcome, Imno and Vona.

Paul, enjoy the benefits that exercise offers. I decided early on in sobriety to heal mind, body, and spirit. A gift recovery has offered is "middle-of-the-road"...a concept totally lacking in my active alcoholic state. I no longer workout till I am ready to drop over...just as I drank till I passed out so often.

Glee, gratitude is a biggie for me in recovery too. Decades of never being satisfied...always wanting the next best thing have been replaced by humility, acceptance, and gratitude.

Amp, I hope that your business meetings went well, Thanks for sharing how recovery is changing so many aspects of your life!

WWS, Stag, Toots, Sask and anyone I missed...thank you for sharing your experience, strength, and hope with us.

Today is an exciting day in my life. It is my one and only granddaughter's first birthday. It was one year ago that I took the 4-hour drive across PA to Philly to meet her on this day of her birth. I spent hours on Saturday adding to the book, "A You're Adorable" by Martha Alexander as a gift....I had such fun.

In what I believe to have been a sign from The Universe, her birthday of January 6th, is also the day of the year that has my favorite AA thought for the day - By Far. It was, and has remained, a mantra of sorts. Below I will share it:

A.A. Thought for the Day from the "24 Hours A Day" Book

Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision I ever made was my decision to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in the world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything I have, my whole life, depends on that one thing. Can I afford ever to forget this, even for one minute?

Enjoy the day, Undies.

Carlos
Old 01-06-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Fireworks : n y c but with no spaces. They are in the smiley list too.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Hi all! It sounds like everybody is doing well so far this year. That brings a smile to my face.
It's day 58 here and I'm feeling pretty good. I'm starting to feel such freedom, but I will keep one eye open because I know this can be a slippery time! (Thanks for that info Undies! It is pouring rain in Southern California! Wow, I'm loving it and it's so needed!
I think I'll work from home today.
Have a great day.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Hi all, I'm just popping in to say hello after a too long sabbatical. It's good to see so many familiar friends here and good to see so many new ones too. S.R has been my salvation and once I find my way round the site again and catch up on all that's been going on I'll be checking in regularly. To the new members, I'd just like to say welcome and stay focused. Believe me, I know that's so much easier said than done, but sobriety is truly worth the effort, my life is so much better for being sober, I’m a nicer person ( I hope), I’m honest, I have loads of patience, I’m kinder, I’m so much more productive , I enjoy life and take pleasure in the simple things that I just either used to take for granted, or never even noticed. On days that you are struggling ( I had lots of them) keep yourself busy and stick close to S.R as much as you can. Be honest and write a post about how you’re feeling, honestly we’ve all been in that place. You’ll get lots of support here from people who do know what you are going through and you’ll make some good friends too. Truly, getting sober has been the best thing I’ve ever done for myself , if only I’d done it sooner. I’m not going to say it’s easy, ‘no pain, no gain’ as they say, but it’s worth it and each day gets a little bit easier. Just remember you are not alone, every person here is walking the same walk alongside you.

Lots of love
Back soon

Gxxxx
Old 01-06-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Thanks for stopping by Grace! It is always good to hear encouragement from someone who has stayed sober for a long time.

I have mixed emotions today on life and death. I went to a funeral today for my great uncle. Vietnam vet, great guy and lived to the age of 90. Also my wife's niece gave birth to a baby boy today. Life goes on.

Carlos congratulations on your granddaughter's first birthday!
Old 01-06-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Hi Grace. Thank you for sharing your words of wisdom for us newly sober.
Nice having you back!
Old 01-06-2016, 10:45 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hey you guys

used to post here quite a bit but dropped off the water wagon and have struggled to regain a semblance of sobriety

back again, aiming for the prize

v

hope you all had a safe and sober xmas and nye
Old 01-07-2016, 12:11 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Van you will do it sweetie, you are back and asking for help, so you want sobriety. That is the biggest step. You have a wealth of learnt knowledge at your finger tips and a host of friends supporting you.

WWS, the circle of life eh? At least you are aiming to live yours a better way now, your great-nephew will know you as a sober great uncle!

Carlos, happy birthday to your granddaughter, I bet she gets spoilt!

Key, you sound much happier in your skin!

KIR, wise to enjoy your sobriety but be aware of the potential pitfalls of complacency X

Keep on Keeping on Undies
Old 01-07-2016, 01:44 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back to the thread Vandermast

D
Old 01-07-2016, 04:16 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Van. Always good to see you! Toots is right on as usual. You've done this and can do it again. Coming back is a big positive step.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Welcome back Vandermast! Sticking with this group has been awesome for me. You can do it!
Old 01-07-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Good afternoon Undies

You're welcome WWS, I had a few relapses in the beginning and then I sort of had a light bulb moment. It was hard at first but now I don't even think about alcohol. Yes, life does go on, my dad would have been 84 today, he passed away last year and today I am going for lunch with my mum and brother. We have had a new baby in the family since his death and have another on the way. As Toots says there it's the 'circle of life.' ( I'll be singing that all afternoon now!)

Thank you Kir, I'm not sure they were words of wisdom, I just wanted people to know that if I can do it, then so can they,. Just stick with it and take each day as it comes.

Welcome back Vandermast, you can do it this time, look upon it as a learning curve. Just brush yourself down, draw a line under it and move on. Todays a new day.

Hello lovely Toots, I love Mollie's festive jacket. I hope you're all good and well.

Hello Saskia and Dee, have a good day/night!

Must dash and get ready for this lunch. See you later.

Love to you all

Gxxxx
Old 01-07-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Hi undies.
Still can't log into my account on my app on my phone making it a little hard to use the regular website.
Hoping to sit down and catch up on several days worth of posts.
I hit 30days the other day which was awesome.
Have a good day everyone!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

Just time for a quick pop in today.

BF, congrats on that milestone.

Gracie, yes, they were words from the wise in my eyes too. Thank you for sharing. So true, it's not easy but it's worth it...also true for me is that it does get easier.

As with you, Gracie...finding recovery was the most important thing that I have ever done for myself. If I had to narrow it down to just one word - FREEDOM.

As I recall, (and I might be a bit sketchy ), Gracie, Toots and Tanja were the original over-undie's. Their sticking around for post-grad work was invaluable to my recovery.

Enjoy your lunch and the fond memories of your father that I'm certain will be tossed about.

Yes, Toots and WWS, Arielle is a dream come true. Another example of that circle. Last year on 1/6 I held her for the first time - 26 years had elapsed since holding a newborn, when I held her Aunt, my youngest daughter - yet it felt only days apart. Life is short in many respects and traveling through it in recovery now is such a blessing.

Re-welcome, Vand. The prize is worth the effort - for sure.

Great day, all.

Carlos
Old 01-07-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 30 days BF...whats up with the app?

D
Old 01-08-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday to Arielle! Little ones are such fun.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Good afternoon Undies ( 12.30 here in the U.K )

I hope to find you all fit and well. It’s so cold here today and I’ve got that many layers on I look like a roly poly pudding. At least it’s not raining though, always a bonus!

Hi B.F,I was so please to see you here back posting. I hope life is treating you well. Do you still have your gorgeous boxer dog? Well done on getting past the 30 day mark, that’s really good, you’ll be well into your second month now. Have a good weekend.

Aww thanks for those kind words Carlos, I am honoured if you feel that in any way I played a little part in your sobriety, thank you. I couldn’t have done it without the support of the others here, yourself included and the wisdom and advice of people like Dee and the other long standing members of S.R.
Lunch was very pleasant, thank you and we did have a few laughs about some of my dads antics.
I asked on the Over’s how you were enjoying being a grandad and from your comments here I can tell that you’re loving it. It’s magic isn’t it? It doesn’t seem like 2 minutes since your grandaughter was born, it’s hard to believe she’s a year old. It’s wonderful that you will be able to enjoy lots of special moments with her and make lots of happy memories thanks to sobriety. Life can be good.

Hello Dee, have yourself a good week end and don’t work too hard.

Hello BrighterDayz, it’s good to meet you.

Just thought I’d share something I read with you all. I thought it was very apt, I hope you like it.

MAKE PEACE WITH YOUR PAST.

We all have things we’d go back and edit if life came with a rewind button. It’s easy to be wise in hindsight and mentally ‘berate’ the old you’ for not looking after your body and mind or making better choices. While no one can change the past, one thing every single one of us can do is choose a different future. Accepting, forgiving and learning from your mistakes is the most powerful way of ensuring your future is different from your past.

Right I’m off now to check the Over-Undies. Have a safe and sober weekend.

Love to you all

Gxxx
Old 01-08-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Yes Toots and Grace, the circle of life it is.

Congratulations on 30 days boozefree!

Not much new today for me. I do have to work this weekend. It will be busy but it will be the only weekend I have to work this month. I'm still racking up the sober days. Things are going well and I haven't really had any cravings lately. Getting sober is definitely worth it.