Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 50

Old 12-19-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Great post for the holiday season, Toots - and every other season as well!
Old 12-19-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
I am feeling strong in my recovery this holiday season.

Consequently I'm not drinking today.

Any other takers out there?

Carlos

PS - I love this thread...good stuff...

PPS - Hey sober bestie, Glee...feel better soon.

PPPS - Have a fantastic day, ALL!
I meet ya there Carlos and raise ya a day! Day 40 and I'm feeling much better today! A full nights sleep, 25 breaths of meditation (ok, that needs work) and a lot of digested informations on PAWS (some people say it doesn't exist, but I've had all the symptoms this past week) to help me understand that this is temporary and I'm not literally bat **** crazy, and it will get better!
This thread is so helpful because it's full of people that have gone through the fire and come out the other side, or are getting darn close.
Thank you to each one of you.
Sober family cookie day and rock wall climbing! Fun day!
Enjoy today everybody!!!
Old 12-19-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, KIR - and have a lovely day :-)
Old 12-19-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

With you on that Carlos
Old 12-19-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Good morning, Undies!

BF, good to hear that you stayed strong. The holidays can be such stressful times that meetings are good sometimes especially so when we are tired. I find vigilance really helps me.

I'm thoroughly enjoying extremely low key holidays! We are having a beautiful (and delicious) holiday dinner here next week but other than that I'm actively trying to do less than usual at this time. Reading, relaxing, casual socializing are the ticket for me. I'm also finding that I can be around people drinking without drinking thoughts becoming difficult and many times now I find that I don't even think about it and only realize afterwards that it didn't tempt me. I love my sober life too much to think about giving up the peace and serenity I feel! What a difference :-)
I'm taking a day today to pretty much do nothing and I refuse to feel guilty about it.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

I just posted this in the May thread but thought I'd repost here so sorry if you've already read...
Well, things are ok here, I'm wondering if taking on a new job right now was the best decision at this point--I am so exhausted. I know it was the right decision and one that doesn't come up often but I'm frustrated because there's so much I don't know. I'm having to bug my friend a lot while she's working about stuff in the job I just don't know about, and it's very physical... it's a lot even after 7 months recovery! Been going to a lot of aa meetings in the last couple weeks, my psychologist thinks it's a good idea to go daily since it's the holidays and she's on vacation the next few weeks. Went to one that was humbling last night--was feeling overwhelmed from work and a little emotional after my Dad was in surgery this week to remove a kidney that was cancerous. It was at a recovery center and most of the women were in resident treatment there. I didn't know this before I went (in-treatment was what the I code was for btw) and felt my pitiful small problems subside as I listened these women who were trying to get themselves together for their kids sake. I did offer a share and told them how lucky they were to have the facility and that maybe I wouldn't have become an alcoholic if I'd received proper treatment for my meth addiction when I quit 27 years ago because I was pregnant. I feel like I am finally only now really understanding my addiction and am actually moving into the next stage of living life without a chemical addiction. It's one thing to be forced to quit and live life dry--you never really learn the skills you need to cope with life , thus avoiding the next addiction. When my kids were grown I guess I felt I did my duty and fell back in my old ways--not meth but alcohol.
Anyway-- I like the meetings, nobody pushes the higher power thing and I actually went to a new aa agnostic meeting that I liked the best so far. Hope everyone is hanging in there through the holidays!
Old 12-19-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll grow into the job BF
Glad the meetings are going well for you though

Best wishes for a complete recovery for your Dad too

D
Old 12-19-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

BlueFairy, thanks for the update. Sorry you are so tired. Good that you are finding AA meetings helpful. It sounds like not easy times for you but also that you are staying the course. My best wishes for your dad's recovery!
Old 12-19-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

BlueFairy- thanks for re-posting. Good for you for bugging your friend about your new job. You will learn it much faster and then it will be much easier. The new stress about it (both physical and mental) will ease with it.

Being where you are now after everything you have gone through shows a real strength of character that will take you along way.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sup Gang,

Yep.... first sober holidays in at least......35 years. Feels great, but not normal. Go figure.

The AV is there, but the logic wins every time. Waking up strong is amazing. The 20 minutes of euphoria per drink is not worth anything.

The red eyes, head ache, weakness, high bp, demotivation, anxiety, guilt, shame, stinky, regression, sickness....ugly, lazy....etc etc...will never happen again.

Played golf w my alkyl bud yest. I went to the bar w him after the round. He and his drinking buddy polished off a pitcher of beer. I drank a coffee (it was freezing on the course).

We talked about man stuff, they both were slurring their words before we left. No way to drive home. There was nothing I could do to stop them from driving even if I tried. They were a bit paranoid about getting pulled over on the short drive home. Don't miss that...right?

As I drove home, sober as a priest, I saw a cop w the lights going. I hoped it wasn't my buddy. It wasn't. He got lucky again.

I'm sure there was a drunken party at his house after. I didn't get an invite. I got,home, gave my 12 year old a big proud hug, ate some leftovers and had a relaxing evening watching UFC on FOX. Great fights.

Proud sober man. Cheerishing my new healthy life. Looking forward to how awesome I can become in the next 30 years vs how wrecked I would be drinking.

Never drinking again. Booze is poison.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Dizzy and great to hear how well you are doing!
Old 12-20-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Key - You sound very aware and focused!! I'm always looking to see what's working for others!!

Toots - Great explanation of thinking through the codependent thoughts to get to a place of strength. I'd never thought of that. Instead I am in the habit of running from my boogey-man thoughts. You are right that all this has ever done is make them grow in strength, growing more toxic, disturbed, and messy, like a snowball filled with rocks, thorns, dirt, weeds, and sticks. I'm going to experiment with thinking my anxiety through to the end.

WWS - Ok glad all is well!! I know what you mean about sobriety feeling different this time. Sharing what works for me, and being willing to try what works for others, keeps my focus on sobriety.

Carlos - Thanks for the warm thoughts. I hope you're enjoying your weekend, my friend.

Blue Fairy - I think it's awesome that you could see your similarities with the women at the meeting, instead of the differences. Your honesty and humility are inspiring. I took a new job when I had about the same length of sober time as you do now. It takes time to feel efficient and productive, and it wasn't easy to be patient after a lifetime of looking for quick fixes. I tired to focus on doing the next right thing.

Dizzy - Your story about your buddies who you golfed with stuck with me. Hanging with my friends can be weird, and to be honest, I'm still working through it. I enjoy their company - that's why they're my friends - but it's kinda weird for me when they get really drunk.

Yet this Christmas I haven't gotten any party invitations from my usual gang, and that has me in a bungle. They're as busy with their families as I am, but a core group of us usually make time to hang out, yet I haven't heard one word from anyone since that hockey tournament. My husband tells me I'm overthinking it, but I can't help but hang on to a nagging feeling of being frozen out. I really liked what you wrote about being happy to go home last night, and relax into a nice sober night, rather than feeling excluded.

It's kind of silly for me to still be chattering on about this, but I can't help but feel that something that I did (that they're not telling me, but discussing amongst each other) made them freeze me out. I've heard the way they talk about each other when one of us isn't there!! I usually try not to stay neutral during those discussions. I try not to say things I wouldn't want repeated!!

My sponsor reminds me that what other people think of me is none of my business, suggests I to ask for my hp's direction to make the next right decision, and tells me to be confident in my choices even if other people disagree, and to write a daily gratitude list so that I keep my problems in perspective. I try, but as you can all see, I still struggle with it. That's why I keep coming back to listen and share!!

Enjoy a peaceful sober day Undies.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Morning Undies,

D122y, nice to see that you are enjoying the fruits of sobriety - among friends and family. I too hit the 19th hole w/my peeps on occasion. Difference for me is that while I never drank on the course, I was the "only" one getting drunk. JMO, if your bud is alkie and drunk driving, too bad it wasn't him that was arrested. Others safe and he might find recovery. I know quite a few that feel blessed for police intervention and court ordered AA. Again, jmo.

Glee, I totally get your feeling frustrated and left out in that collection of hockey mom's. For me, many of my old thoughts and feeling still surface...the difference has been on what I do with them. I haven't read in the BB where we became soothsayers or our feeling can no longer be hurt in recovery. My advice, for what it is worth is to ask one of these mom's out for coffee and tell her that you are feeling left out and ask if she has any suggestions on how to resolve any issues that "might" exist. Probing to find the root issue will allow for a more singular approach moving forward. Haha, I was told and have taught that root issues are usually 5 times deeper than initial responses. Hey, feel free to blow this suggestion off....just a thought.

BF2 - Yes, you have quite a few issues that you are "dealing" with at present. You really seem to be working a good program and reaching out...kudos. I know when I am feeling stress and pressure I try not to focus on the past actions that got me to that place, or the future resolve for that matter...simply on what I can do today. My best to your dad in recovery from surgery.

KIR, wow, what a cool day you had planned. Haha, I never read about PAWS and the bat sh*t crazy has never left me. I just have a tool box today that helps keep drinking off the table as a solution.

Amp, let's keep this sober train on track - I'll have another - just like the other. I so enjoy reading your experience, strength and hope journey posts!

WWS, "WE" are so glad to be on this sober journey with you. I have a good AA friend that always says that the most important word in the fellowship is the first word in How It Works - WE. Haha, I needed a team of WE to get on track...

Sask, thanks for all your wise offerings of support!

Toots, great post! You rock, BL. Haha, should we let this new group know what a BL is?

I am off to do a little shopping for a finger food dinner I am having for a couple friends as we watch the Steeler game late afternoon. Also hitting a BB study mtg this morning for what will be the last time prior to moving...love that mtg.

I started this journey bat sh*it crazy, wanting to die and in a moment of clarity wanted to live and ease the pain. I am staying on this journey because I don't ever want to lose these feelings of peace, joy and freedom.

Enjoy this sober Sunday, all.

Carlos
Old 12-20-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Glee, I think what I might ask myself first is how important is this particular group to you? Are they people you feel close to or are they 'friends of convenience'? We can still feel hurt even in the latter case but sometimes it helps me to think through how important a particular relationship truly is. I also try to remember that everyone isn't going to like me. Like so many things, it's our own perceptions that can trip us up.

If these friendships are really important to you, then by all means talk to one of them. On the other hand, if they tend to be back-biting about anyone not there, do you want to be friends?
Old 12-20-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Sup Gang, Yep.... first sober holidays in at least......35 years. Feels great, but not normal. Go figure. The AV is there, but the logic wins every time. Waking up strong is amazing. The 20 minutes of euphoria per drink is not worth anything. The red eyes, head ache, weakness, high bp, demotivation, anxiety, guilt, shame, stinky, regression, sickness....ugly, lazy....etc etc...will never happen again. Played golf w my alkyl bud yest. I went to the bar w him after the round. He and his drinking buddy polished off a pitcher of beer. I drank a coffee (it was freezing on the course). We talked about man stuff, they both were slurring their words before we left. No way to drive home. There was nothing I could do to stop them from driving even if I tried. They were a bit paranoid about getting pulled over on the short drive home. Don't miss that...right? As I drove home, sober as a priest, I saw a cop w the lights going. I hoped it wasn't my buddy. It wasn't. He got lucky again. I'm sure there was a drunken party at his house after. I didn't get an invite. I got,home, gave my 12 year old a big proud hug, ate some leftovers and had a relaxing evening watching UFC on FOX. Great fights. Proud sober man. Cheerishing my new healthy life. Looking forward to how awesome I can become in the next 30 years vs how wrecked I would be drinking. Never drinking again. Booze is poison.
Great post! I still find it awkward at times hanging with my former drinking buddies. I am at the point at eight months sober that I no longer have any urges to drink with them, but it can be uncomfortable watching them descend into drunk vile. Not surprisingly , almost all of my friends are heavy drinkers and I can see now several are full blown alcohol abusers like I was for three decades. Some of my "friends" and I have parted company because getting drunk was all we had in common. Some friendships endure. I am the usual designated driver with this group when going out now. I hope that someday, all of them will see the light. I guess they will have to hit their own bottom before they think about changing. My patience for being around drunks has markedly decreased and so has the amount of time I spend with these friends. Guess it is time to find some new friends whom share a non alcohol connection with me. Life is too short and I have too many good things to experience now.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Sup Gang,

Yep.... first sober holidays in at least......35 years. Feels great, but not normal. Go figure.

The AV is there, but the logic wins every time. Waking up strong is amazing. The 20 minutes of euphoria per drink is not worth anything.

The red eyes, head ache, weakness, high bp, demotivation, anxiety, guilt, shame, stinky, regression, sickness....ugly, lazy....etc etc...will never happen again.

Played golf w my alkyl bud yest. I went to the bar w him after the round. He and his drinking buddy polished off a pitcher of beer. I drank a coffee (it was freezing on the course).

We talked about man stuff, they both were slurring their words before we left. No way to drive home. There was nothing I could do to stop them from driving even if I tried. They were a bit paranoid about getting pulled over on the short drive home. Don't miss that...right?

As I drove home, sober as a priest, I saw a cop w the lights going. I hoped it wasn't my buddy. It wasn't. He got lucky again.

I'm sure there was a drunken party at his house after. I didn't get an invite. I got,home, gave my 12 year old a big proud hug, ate some leftovers and had a relaxing evening watching UFC on FOX. Great fights.

Proud sober man. Cheerishing my new healthy life. Looking forward to how awesome I can become in the next 30 years vs how wrecked I would be drinking.

I've heard this a lot at recent aa meetings--seems the trick is to get out before people get sloppy drunk. They don't even notice you're gone... I've had one test like that--and I felt so good to get out in time. You can still go, be social and have fun without partaking.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've noticed on face book a lot of people post about drinking and they all know I've quit--it kind of bothers me but I just feel kind of sorry for them. I guess it's the season a lot of people drink and I think a lot of those posts will go away when they get their resolutions on lol.

Yesterday I just spent all day reading, watching tv and went to see star wars later. Maybe that will help with the exhaustion thing. I think I needed it-- I even napped in the afternoon. The job --think I will make lists and cross stuff off as I go along. I will take real breaks and a lunch involving real food if I hit the 4 hr mark (I've been working 7 + hours straight with a 5 minute break maybe--enough to eat a satsuma--) and try to do things as much as I can on my own. I do kind of reflexively get Diane's attention even if it's something I've been taught to do and I need to just calm myself in those situations and think it through or I'll never learn. Granted she'll see me with a customer and volunteer help--I need to have the cojones to say it's ok I've got it. Maybe check in after doing it...The floral arranging really has me confuzzled--the class doesn't start until Jan 12th and I'm sure that will help. Maybe until then I'll look up stuff online. I have looked a little and have made some arrangements that have sold (actually all of the ones I've made have sold) they really slow me down though and I've been working over the time I've been scheduled every day.
I will fight tooth and nail to keep this job--I love it and having nights off is such a gift. I also have the gal that trained me that was just really filling in until the could afford to train someone--she said I could call or text her any time and I haven't done that and I need to. I'm not a fast learner but once I do--I'm really good. My Dad's doing good by the way. I haven't called him since surgery but my stepmoms posted on facebook. That's one more relationship I neglected during my fun time of being an alcoholic....
Old 12-20-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope everyone had a peaceful weekend
Old 12-20-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Sup Gang,

Awesome job!Your son must be so happy as I am sure you are!!
Old 12-20-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Glee-
I agree with the others. Decide if this group is important to you or perhaps important to your children that you keep the connection, and if it is then maybe talk to one lady and see if there even is an issue!
I'm at a point that I need to find new friends that don't drink because a lot of mine do! Lol. Although I have been lucky enough that some of my closest friendships also involve non drinking events too so I can maintain those friendships without it being a problem. Now where do I find sober friends??? Haha. Guess it will be AA!
Carlos-Being a little Bat S Crazy is an ok thing anyway....its just when I'm a lot BSC that I start getting concerned!!!
I'm looking forward to a nice relaxing day. Rock climbing sure left me sore in muscles I didn't know I had! Have a great day everybody!