Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 50

Old 01-18-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

WWS, as much as I'd like to think otherwise, one day at a time is enough and infinitely better than drinking.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:53 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months, Key!
Old 01-20-2016, 01:27 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Just touching base! 9 months sober today and I wouldn't have a.drink if you paid me. I wouldn't have envisaged myself saying that a year ago!!!

9 months ago I was a depressed mess, always avoiding and blaming. Now my depression has practically disappeared and I am beginning to accept life on life's terms. These last 9 months have been probably the hardest I have ever faced, and I am no stranger to trouble, but it has been so worth it.

To anyone just starting out, I just wish you could see what I can see. Just hold on and you will find out for yourselves just how different things become relatively quickly.

Whatever you do in life, you are always a work in progress and sobriety is no different in that regard. There may always be urges and challenging situations but if you are in a strong place they become increasingly manageable.

This weekend I'm meeting my brother and sister in Amsterdam as a surprise for my mother. My sister is taking her as a treat to get her out of London. She has no idea that I'll be flying in from Spain or that my other brother is going too so she's going to be made up! Drinking culture is very deeply ingrained in my family so I'm preparing a few strategies before I go. The last thing I want to do is go down the road of over confidence and throw away all that I have!!

Take care guys! Nice catching up with you all!!
Old 01-20-2016, 01:55 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats Amp

D
Old 01-20-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Amp, congrats! Your journey is such an inspiration. Over these months I've noticed the changes in your posts and am very happy for you.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Wow some great milestones today!!!!

Congratulations on 9 months Amp! That sounds like a wonderful surprise for your mother.

Congratulations Key for six months! And congrats for surviving your trip to sin city!
Old 01-20-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
WWS, as much as I'd like to think otherwise, one day at a time is enough and infinitely better than drinking.
Thanks Saskia! I have been feeling very good lately.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Amp I am proud to be a part of your sober road, you are really doing great.

Key, 6 months?? Woohoo chickie!!
Old 01-20-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Have a great day everyone. just got back from a AA class and feeling a little down---can't put my finger on it but, I'm sure tomorrow will be better. One day at a time.
Babs
Old 01-20-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better tomorrow :-)

I haven't posted for a while but I am still going strong, feeling almost healthy!
Old 01-20-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

Paul - Glad all is well.

Babs - Good to see you. I think it's common to feel "off" when early in recovery. I had some irritability and depression that I could never quite put my finger on. I think it was a combination of things that I repressed, suppressed, and ignored. Things have a way of coming back again and again until they are worked through.

Key - Congrats on 6 months! I'm glad you're keeping a focus on recovery and improvement while keeping busy. It's a commitment, for sure, but one that pays off!! Eventually situations where other people drank got easier. Over the weekend I found myself sitting at a party at a hockey tournament in a hotel where I was the only one not drinking. Some drank more and some drank less, but I wasn't keeping track and had zero interest in drinking. Everyone has a different timeline for healing but being at that kind of peace was unfathomable for me even a year ago, when I was a full year sober. (That's why I keep coming back!)

Amp - Congrats on 9 months! Wow, the Amp of 3/4 of a year ago sounded so different from the Amp of today. I'm really happy that you're feeling the rewards of sober living of mind and body. It's evident in the experiences you share and the advice you give. I'm glad to get to share a little piece of your recovery. Have fun with your family, and by all means keep vigilant if that's what you need to to do stay safe and healthy.

WWS- Happy one day at a time!

Saskia, Toots & Drake - Always a pleasure to hear from the longtime Undies!

Have a great night everyone!!
Old 01-20-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Morning all!

6 months is great, Key! Keep it up! For me, things started getting better radically around this time.

Hey, Babs! One day at a time is right. As you go you will notice some days sliding by without incident while others are a real slog. The consistency needs to be in your attitude!! Stay strong

Nice to see you Paul!

Thanks to all for the continuing support. What a great group this is!
Old 01-20-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Babs life is ups and downs, sobriety is about new ways of managing them. Sharing here when things aren't feeling great is a good way. X
Old 01-20-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

I hadn't known this thread was here. <pulls up a chair>
Old 01-20-2016, 11:15 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL just in time for a new part Thumpa

join us here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-51-a.html

D