http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-49-a-20.html

D
Old 11-27-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy birthday Key & wishing everyone a good day
Old 11-27-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Key - Happy Birthday!! Do you have anything special planned to enjoy the day?

This Thanksgiving was my 2nd one sober, and the first where I've been happy to be sober. Last year I was grateful for my sobriety, and this year I felt joyous happy and free.

Previously, in addiction, my life was constant turmoil. The only time I felt "good" was when I was winning, succeeding, acquiring - or drinking. Thanksgiving was a low key gathering, the same one I go to every year. Some family members are wacky, some are selfish, and some are quirky, and in my sober state of mind, I enjoyed it.

Carlos mentioned in his last post on the previous thread that recovery has afforded him the opportunity for emotional sobriety. I've found that as well on so many levels. I saw mine play out yesterday as I focused on making the most of my day instead of getting mad about what everyone else was doing wrong.

This transformation took work. I don't magically agree with everyone, or naturally go with the flow. Far from it! But I no longer need to be the behavioral police. When I find myself swimming upstream, though, my friends in recovery are there to gently guide me back in the right direction. I can trust them to level with me, and help me back onto the beam.

Today I am heading to another youth hockey tournament. These used to be weekend long parties for me, with heavy drinking into the wee hours. Last hockey season, my first one sober, I resented having to go because I felt there was nothing in it for me. My friends in recovery and my sponsor helped me come to realize over the past year and a half that what's "in it for me" is the ability to provide my children with memories they'll hopefully cherish for a lifetime.

To see the change in my perspective from total self-centeredness in addiction where it was all about me partying, to early recovery where I didn't see the point in going if I wasn't drinking and having a blast, to being grateful to have the means to provide my children this opportunity and the ability to watch them enjoy it, is a testament miracle of recovery.

This is just one of the many miracles playing out in my life every day as a result of embracing recovery. My best to all of you!
Old 11-27-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good morning. I made it through thanksgiving and easily stayed sober. It was low key for us- just me and my wife. None of our relatives were doing anything big this year so we stayed home and I think it is better that way anyway. I haven't thought too much about what to be thankful for. I guess I'm just working on sobriety for now but there is so much I can be thankful for.

Boozefree it sounds like the right thing to do staying at home for thanksgiving. For anyone in early recovery this sounds like the best thing to do.

Sounds like you made it through the holiday just fine Key! Happy birthday!

Thanks for the post Carlos. You always have a lot to share. Good luck on your move to Florida.

It is off to the gym and then work again today.

Have a good day everyone.

My best too you as well gleefan!
Old 11-27-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the birthday wishes!
Glee lord Jesus I wish I knew you in real life. I need you to spew these affirmations to me daily! I completely relate to being the behavioral police. That's how I felt yesterday. This is how I know I'm still "sick". Why I'm thinking I need to go to AA, Alanon, and therapy. Got lots to deal with. Lots of triggers that I need to let go. Myself is just tired. Tired of it all. I completely relate to not feeling good unless it's a big thing happening. Otherwise I am feeling like I'm loosing, being attacked, being left out, not loved enough, like someone's doing me wrong. These chains are heavy. I have to find a way to let them go. Thank you for your thoughts, they always give me insight into someone I need to get to know better, Me.
((Hug))
Old 11-27-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Key - That is so sweet! I'm flattered! You can PM me any time. I'm here.

This weekend I hope to hit an AA meeting in the city where I'm staying. I went to one last year while staying there, and it was great! Key, you can go to one too. There's no time like the present!

I was intimidated to go at first, but I kept an open mind. In those early days I would always report back to the Undies how the meetings went for me. I still post when something resonates.

Let us know if you take the big step to go!!
Old 11-27-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Happy Birthday, Key!
Old 11-27-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Happy birthday, Key!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the bday wishes. I had a calm day. A welcomed no anxiety normal day. Thank goodness. I'm exhausted from all that emotion in turmoil all the time. I'll let you know when I take the leap. It is scary but in my heart I know it's coming. Hope everyone had a good Friday. ((Hug))!
Old 11-28-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good morning, Undies!

I had an interesting experience yesterday. One of our newer residents left a very nice bottle of wine in my in-house mailbox on Thursday which I found yesterday (I had driven her to catch a bus on turkey day). I've rarely been able to not drink whenever I have a bottle in the house but this time was amazingly easy. I just took it down the hall and gave it to someone who enjoys a glass with dinner. Voila - both of us ended up happy :-)
Old 11-28-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Remarkable indeed! Well done Saskia!
Old 11-28-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good morning. I am looking forward to a nice relaxing day off.

Saskia, that was a nice thought from your neighbor even though it was a bottle of wine. Good you are able to do that. I'm not sure if I'm to that point yet where I can pass on a bottle of wine yet but am increasingly confident I can.

Key, It's good to hear you had a nice "normal" day. Usually those are the best days.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Key (late ) Been at my sister's for the holiday. Head back today. Dropping of HRH at the family who is watching her while I am on vacation. Leave Tues and have a TON to do!

Undies
Old 11-28-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you again for the bday wishes!
(Saskia)! Awesome that you overcame that bottle! Nice that you gave it away!
Guys, I am ending up with a whole new me (as you already have discovered for yourselves). That's ok I'm good with that, but any change, experiences growing pains. Of course some of the old me just tries to push away the good stuff I want to keep, I have to fight for it. That's ok too. New ways to take the bad with the good are helping me to accept this internal struggle, better. Hopefully things will stay on an even keel and then I can dig in. Regardless I'm going in even deeper! Good thing since I am going to bring some major changes in my life. AA, Alanon, maybe a therapist. Big changes. Old me, better get your gloves on...we are fixing to go the full rounds here boxing!
Have a great Saturday guys! ((Hug))!!
Old 11-28-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Key, good to be working on changes now in sobriety. Try to remember that deep changes do take time, lol :-)
Old 11-28-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have to remind myself that Sas. I'm a terrible "waiter" I have no patience but no worries. Seems that's one of the criterias too. Lol Time, patience, change, work, waiting, willingness.
So much more...
Old 11-28-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi undies.
Just checking in before womp.
Will catch up a little later on posts.
Hope everyone had a nice day!
Old 11-29-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Morning! Off to church shortly. Will check in later! Have a serene Sunday!
Old 11-29-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm feeling good this morning. I have been reading about the PAWS symptoms yesterday and I am definitely at that stage of recoveryand can relate with a lot of those symptoms. I even know I have been having balance troubles some times and I have to be careful and somewhat of an inability to concrete things clearly like I used to. For the most part things seem to be easing up and I am feeling more " normal "most of the time ,but I'm having some days better than others. I haven't really had any cravings at all lately but that is my biggest concern that one could sneak up on me when I least expect.

All of these are minor symptoms at this point and they are much better than hangovers, headaches, yucky mouth syndrome and all of that.

Have a nice Sunday everyone!
Old 11-29-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

WWS, I think you are approaching this process thoughtfully and deliberately and that's awesome! Yes, it really does get better. For me it has been a very gradual process and I feel so much better and clearer that I simply don't want to go back to that h*ll. My emotions have smoothed out quite a bit; my anger issues are fading and much easier for me to manage.