Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 50

Old 01-03-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

D122y, I have been craving free for the most part lately, buy after making it through the holidays I did have a couple of strong ones yesterday. I got them to pass without acting on them, but it is a good reminder that this is a long process as many people have said. I can't let my guard down yet and maybe never but I'm feeling much better overall now. I just cannot go back to drinking.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Dizzy, good for you - we all have different ways to cope.

I can say that my cravings finally cut back drastically at a little over a year and seem to not be a problem now as I near 17 months. I expect that we are all on different timetables. I do know that in the last month I haven't had any white-knuckling. I credit not only time but all the work I've been doing. I find that reading Newcomers' posts is a regular reminder of all the many negatives of drinking and helps to keep up my resolve.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
I find that reading Newcomers' posts is a regular reminder of all the many negatives of drinking and helps to keep up my resolve.
Totally agree with this! There is a lot of despair out there and I don't want to be a part of it.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

BrigheterDayz - Welcome! I had only ever racked up a couple continuous weeks sober at a time before I admitted alcohol made my life unmanageable. If sobriety is your goal, you can do this.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Hey friends,
On day three now and going ok for most part. There have been some cravings and triggers but no physical withdraws. I have put all my energy and focus into this forum and the big book. I don't know why I haven't picked it up before but better late than never I guess. One right choice a day, sober. Thanks everyone, really.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Happy CLEAN AND SOBER New Year - Undies.

I have been rather busy of late, but, while posting has suffered - not my "reading" of the miracles happening on THIS UNDIES thread.

Wherever you are in your sobriety - be sure to stick around long enough for the MIRACLE to happen.

Felt good to check off a totally clean and sober 2015 - start to finish - top to bottom - over to under - around and through!!!

Let's keep this thing rolling...

Carlos
Old 01-03-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome BD

D
Old 01-03-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Imnotalonjusblu - Did I spell that correctly?! I'm so glad to hear you're still going strong on Day 3 and finding comfort in the Big Book. The first meeting I regularly attended is a Big Book study. I can look at the same passage over and over and yet see something different each time - more often than not, exactly what I need at that time, too.

I had an impromptu meeting with my sponsor today. We started to work on Step 7 together. Yes "we;" she has been sober for 15+ years, and she did her work right alongside me. What I took away from it is we all have issues, and whether I'm 1 day sober, 1 month, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, or more, the method to work through stuff has the same goal - living a joyous, peaceful life by living "right."

One thing I've learned is that sobriety isn't the punishment I first thought it was, but a reward all its own - one I'd never give up on!!

Carlos - Thanks for coming on to let us all know that a miracle truly awaits. You and I have had the privilege of seeing the promises come true in our own and each other's lives as sober buddies in real life.

This stuff works if you work it - so work it Undies! You're worth it!!
Old 01-03-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

An important side effect of sobriety for me: I no longer get so frustrated and angry that I blow up. I can manage irritation so much better :-)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I am glad to be at the point of sobriety that I can go out to public events and not feel tempted by alcohol. I went to a concert Saturday night at a converted old theater. They had a giant bar running along the far lobby wall. Then there was a smaller bar directly across from the large bar, right by the seating entrance. The real kicker was that the venue had a guy standing in an old janitors closet selling cans of beer in the men's room next to the sinks. Empty your bladder, have a beer. I am happy to say that I had no urges to drink. The venue was selling beers for $9.00 to $13.00 a pop and people were getting wasted. I was laughing to myself thinking that would have probably been me at this point last year. Oh the money I am saving not drinking! Among other benefits, of course!
Old 01-04-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

I feel like that too, Saskia. I would also add that sobriety has helped me objectively identify toxic relationships.

At present I am working on extricating myself from a one-sided business relationship which leaves practically no profit and only leaves problems on my doorstep. I have felt for some time that my business partner's priorities are elsewhere and that her areas of competence reflect badly on the business as a whole. I have resolved to settle the situation and separate my interests in 2016. It is not going to be easy after 10 years but I now have enough clarity thanks to my sobriety to understand that I need to cut off dead wood and build something I'm happy with and that I can feel proud of.

At the same time, I'm working on another relationship with a friend of 20 years standing who is also a colleague. He's a good friend and loyal employee but can't cope with responsibility. Problem is that he thinks he's doing a great job.

I have been honest with both these people by mail three days ago explaining to them honestly and politely how I feel. Neither have responded so I guess they need time to think about it. I just said that I need them to think about things so we can meet to talk when we return to work after the holidays next Monday.

We'll see how it goes. The point is that clearing away all the funk from my head by dropping the booze has allowed me to identify the areas in my life that are continually creating problems and I now feel confident to act on that knowledge.

When I was drinking I was constantly apologetic and thought that I was probably at least partially responsible for most problems. Being an alcoholic and maintaining high self esteem are not really compatible. It also means that you continually doubt yourself so you can't trust your own judgement. It's a miracle really that things continued to grind forward. To be fair, I wouldn't drink while I was working but the constant hangovers and lack of energy were more than evident.

So anyway... Here's to clarity, self esteem and moving forward in 2016.

Take care all!
Old 01-04-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post

When I was drinking I was constantly apologetic and thought that I was probably at least partially responsible for most problems. Being an alcoholic and maintaining high self esteem are not really compatible.

So anyway... Here's to clarity, self esteem and moving forward in 2016.

Take care all!
I always felt the same way, Amp. I figured all problems were at least partially my fault because I wasn't fully applying myself always being drunk or hungover or dreaming of booze. I am so glad to be clear headed now and free of that guilt.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Imnotalonejusblu. The first days with physical withdrawl are the worst in many ways. After the first week or so the challenges change. Stay strong and stay close for support. Take care.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Imnotalonjusblu - congratulations on another day sober! It' still a long road ahead but you are getting passed the hardest part.

stargazer016- Wow, 13 bucks a pop! Yes the money we save forgoing the booze is another benefit of sobriety.

I'm going to the gym this morning and then back to work. Have a good day everyone.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Thanks, Amp for that very insightful post. It may not always be easy but you sound so clear-headed and committed. It is a joy to watch you change and grow.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
An important side effect of sobriety for me: I no longer get so frustrated and angry that I blow up. I can manage irritation so much better :-)
I'm looking forward to that and I'm pretty sure my husband will be thrilled!
Old 01-04-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
I always felt the same way, Amp. I figured all problems were at least partially my fault because I wasn't fully applying myself always being drunk or hungover or dreaming of booze. I am so glad to be clear headed now and free of that guilt.
Amp- Those are good bold moves to be making. It's so nice to finally have clarity so you can take care of business.
I have a lot of changes to make in the next few months, but I'm waiting awhile longer so that my head is a bit clearer.
Have a great New Years everybody!
Old 01-04-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

To celebrate over five weeks, tomorrow I start my daily fitness! I know I am not in great shape but I can soon turn that around. I used to be a great runner so I know what I have to do, can't wait!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Running's a great idea, Paul. Clears the head and gives perspective. I've let my running slide a bit over the last 5 or 6 months but I'm planning on getting back into the game this year. I'm thinking of signing up for a half marathon in spring. Maybe try to generate some money for my favourite charity and set myself a goal which will force me to get myself into shape. I'll keep you posted
Old 01-04-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Good stuff! I can't believe that I let myself go but at least I can now rectify! I feel a bit daft because I keep posting how happy I am nowadays but I can't help it