Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 50

Old 01-02-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Blue Fairy-so sorry to hear about your daughter. It hurts when our children are struggling.
Toots, Kay, Amp, Saskia and all......I'm glad everybody had a great New Years Eve.
Way- Thank you for the input. I think as time goes on I will get more comfortable saying never, but maybe I will go with Amps explanation. I reminded my friend what an idiot I was and how crappy I felt the next day, but I think they see me as just having harmless fun once in awhile and still high functioning the rest of the time (but I wasn't and it was starting to take a toll)
I have a question. Do you guys remember when you would have to go to work hungover and you just kind of managed to get through the day, but did everything slower and couldn't really answer deep questions or take on big tasks? That happened to me a lot and I know I'm relearning things I just couldn't think about, but every once in awhile I get that same empty space in my head (I really don't know how to explain this... Kind of like I just don't remember how to think critically or problem solve) I try to step out of that "fog" and remind myself that I'm not drunk or sporting a hangover so I just need to use my brain and think it through instead of being lazy. Maybe be more present.
Does that make sense? Has anybody experienced anything like that or did I just screw my brain cells up beyond hope?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

Meta - Thanks for sharing and glad this thread helped you. I'm 22 months sober and the Undies thread is still the place I come to discuss and read about recovery.

BlueFairy - I'm sorry for your daughter's troubles and the turmoil it's created for your family. Al Anon is a great idea; it's only helped my recovery effort.

KIR - My bottom was high and mostly hidden from others. I can relate to the situations that seem like harmless fun to others, but made me writhe in embarrassment afterwards! No one has sought promises from me that I won't drink like they would be from a friend whose troubles were obvious. And I don't feel like I owe anyone an explanation for my choice not to drink. Early on when offered booze, I'd say that I was all set, or driving. I wasn't in a place where I felt comfortable making any promises. As my recovery progressed, and I realized that living sober was the right choice for me, I started to share more with people.

I had a hard time at work when I was hungover, and for the last couple years drinking, I even started to have small lapses in memory that continued into my first year of sobriety. It could be normal aging. Dunno. My first six months sober I had very little energy or motivation to do anything beyond the absolute necessities, though, and working through that depression has been an essential part of my recovery. Finding peace, serenity and joy in the here and now, beyond quick fixes and situational happiness, has been a long but fulfilling road.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Hi Undies

Meta - Thanks for sharing and glad this thread helped you. I'm 22 months sober and the Undies thread is still the place I come to discuss and read about recovery.

BlueFairy - I'm sorry for your daughter's troubles and the turmoil it's created for your family. Al Anon is a great idea; it's only helped my recovery effort.

KIR - My bottom was high and mostly hidden from others. I can relate to the situations that seem like harmless fun to others, but made me writhe in embarrassment afterwards! No one has sought promises from me that I won't drink like they would be from a friend whose troubles were obvious. And I don't feel like I owe anyone an explanation for my choice not to drink. Early on when offered booze, I'd say that I was all set, or driving. I wasn't in a place where I felt comfortable making any promises. As my recovery progressed, and I realized that living sober was the right choice for me, I started to share more with people.

I had a hard time at work when I was hungover, and for the last couple years drinking, I even started to have small lapses in memory that continued into my first year of sobriety. It could be normal aging. Dunno. My first six months sober I had very little energy or motivation to do anything beyond the absolute necessities, though, and working through that depression has been an essential part of my recovery. Finding peace, serenity and joy in the here and now, beyond quick fixes and situational happiness, has been a long but fulfilling road.
Thanks Glee!
There is hope. It sounds like our drinking history was pretty similar. I know my thinking is getting sharper, but sometimes I just get foggy and lazy, and I think I started setting up a pattern of just sliding by when I had a hang over because I could get away with it.
Anybody else have issues?
Old 01-02-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

stack of issues

Hi, my name is Michael and currently on day 2 of this sobriety hell. This is maybe the third attempt at this and can not make it another failed one. I read you guys posts all last night, really almost all of them. Thank you so much for them. They all truly assisted me in not getting out of my house and to the store. I wanted to wait until today to actually write something. I'm not good at reaching. It's probably the same for most of us here, but I just could not take this any more. Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Michael - Welcome! I'm glad our thread helped you through a rough night. It took me a long time to reach out too, but it works!! Share away, we're here for you.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hi Michael- welcome to SR. This group offers so much support and information. It's really helped me a lot in my new sobriety. You might also try the Janaury class in the "newcomers to sobriety" forum. (I tried to post you a link but it didn't work out so well). The classes are also very helpful with minute to minute support. I'm a part of the November class and it's still going strong.
Smiles.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Welcome, Michael!

Come here as often as you want to.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hi Michael, all the help you need to succeed is here.

Wishing you all the best for your adventures in 2016.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I really do feel like I found something here and need to honestly use this and any other resource to help me on this journey. I'm so inside my head right now and this is only thing at moment keeping me from going in a negative direction. Trying to stay positive though in saying that I did seek out this choice or would already be drinking now. One right choice a day atleast, stay sober. Thanks again guys.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Hi Gang,

I am better then ever, but guess what. The cravings are stronger then ever. Goes w the territory.

I have been dealing w anxiety each day off and on.

As it has faded continually, I start to think it is time to get drunk.

But, the cravings go and come. My wife never drinks at the house. She hasn't had a drink, as far as I can tell, since 31 Oct. I think she had 1. My son is 12...no booze for him. So I just hang w them. Copy them. They taught me how to stay sober.

Therapy. Thanks for saving my life.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imnotalonjusblu View Post
Hi, my name is Michael and currently on day 2 of this sobriety hell. This is maybe the third attempt at this and can not make it another failed one. I read you guys posts all last night, really almost all of them. Thank you so much for them. They all truly assisted me in not getting out of my house and to the store. I wanted to wait until today to actually write something. I'm not good at reaching. It's probably the same for most of us here, but I just could not take this any more. Thanks again.
Hi Michael, we all know the first couple of weeks can feel like hell, but stick with it and it will get better. But be prepared for a long ride.

Two days in this new year it sounds like you are doing better than you think. I was in a similar situation this time last year where I promised myself I would get sober, but I DID cave in and went to the store and bought some wine on both New Year eve and New Years day and I really didn't start a good Sober streak until the end of January. I sure I wished I knew about this forum then. There are a lot of great people who have been sober much longer than me but I can tell you that if you stick with this you will find it to be well worth it. This forum can be a great resource to help you.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I had many good sober runs in 2015, but not continuously. I'd like 2016 to be different. It's nice to feel the camaradarie of this group, knowing that so many others have the same challenges and goals.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrighterDayz View Post
I had many good sober runs in 2015, but not continuously. I'd like 2016 to be different. It's nice to feel the camaradarie of this group, knowing that so many others have the same challenges and goals.
You can do it! Put your mind to it and make a plan. As Way said, the first couple of weeks are really hard, but it's gets easier (easy days and tough days instead of all tough) but there are many people here that have actually passed the one year mark and stay to help us newbies out!!!
Old 01-02-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group Michael. Good to have you with us.

Nice to see you too Brighterdayz
Old 01-02-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Good to see you Brighterdayz!
Old 01-02-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Welcome Michael and anyone new! Great people who will listen, tell you how they did it their way, and offer advice...you only loose if you quit trying! One day at a time!
Old 01-02-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Dizzy, sorry to hear you are still having cravings but good for you for standing tall and strong. Have you considered asking your doc for anti-craving meds to help temporarily?
Old 01-03-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Michael, I just wanted to ask whether you are having any physical withdrawals? If so you may need medical advice on stopping drinking. If not, then you are certainly in the right place to get the support and advice you need to get through the ( yes rather hellish) first weeks. Know that you are not alone, we have all stood where you stand and felt similar emotions. So please reach out. The more we know of specifics, the better the advice is. X

Hi BD, good to see you here too.

KIR I too have had the blanks, it can be a little frightening I put it down to 'hiccups' in the synapsis that were disturbed by alcohols change in the receptors. It isn't believed to be permanent, but as I age, I'm not sure what to blame! (My 'blonde moments' are now 'senior moments'!)
Old 01-03-2016, 02:16 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Imnotalonjusblu

D
Old 01-03-2016, 02:51 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Dizzy, sorry to hear you are still having cravings but good for you for standing tall and strong. Have you considered asking your doc for anti-craving meds to help temporarily?
Hi saskia,

No doc for me. No more brain altering substances. You all are my outlet. I appreciate the comraderie. This is a great place to come to ground and strengthen.

Slurring and stinking of booze. Not my idea of fun any more. Clear headed life experiences until I die of old age.

I have not been without some form of lasting cold since I quit 8 months ago. My immune system is rocking strong since I quit boozing.

Health is wealth.