Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 22

Old 11-21-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

That's great Mark. I almost forgot you had your thanksgiving already. In the traditional sense that is.

I was sober for the holidays last year for the first time in forever, so I clearly remember how it was. Christmas Eve especially I was a bit scattered to say the least. Couldn't get enough seltzer in my system. I seriously think I've got some OCD going on. My sister has got it more so than I. Hear it can run in the family.

In any regard I'm looking forward to turkey day this year. My sister is hosting it, so it's great to be able to just show up with a pie. She has two children as well same age as mine so should be a hoot. Im really not worried about the drinking. The family is all on my side this year and well aware of my problems.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Hey everybody
Not too concerned about drinking on holidays because alcohol isn't typically offered. However, we've got guests coming in December and the guys like to have a few. It's more obnoxious to me than appealing, just easily irritated by it still I guess. I wish alcohol would simply not exist. The world doesn't need it and I certainly wouldn't miss it. Lol

Gnight!
Old 11-21-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

True that Conquest!

A nice evening here of football watchin'. Should have our first freeze of the season tomorrow night. I'm glad I don't have to get on the roof to clean the gutters, but did manage to get the pool clean and planted five blue point junipers in a previously neglected area of my land scape.

Sounds like a nice time to be had at your sister's place Arbor. I thought it was just you and your brother. But I'm really glad that thoughts of drinking are shot down with your family's full support. The kids should have a great time.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

No Thanksgiving or Christmas for me, so no drinking issues for those days.

I'm so proud of you Arbor....and happy for you. What a difference since you talked to your family about this huh? How wonderful to be able to go to your family dinner without worrying.

I hope the holiday is special for all of you, and I know we will get through unscathed. Well, maybe a few pounds heavier, but that's OK.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Yeah, thanks V. BIG difference. Looking back I was so non-committal. Once I embraced it I found out that I could actually enjoy sobriety and move forward with my life. I really had to, but also feel like it's all natural.

Crabs move sideways. Sharks move forward.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Mark, I am trying to wrap my head around having leftover champagne/Prosecco??? If I popped a cork, it was going to be empty. If I think back long enough, I guess there was a time where we would have one glass and had a special cork for it to keep. But, We were drinking other things too. Thinking through that makes me see how my drinking escalated. I always enjoyed it, and had the occasional times where I had way to much and a hangover. But, I could have an open bottle and have a single glass or I had a very small glass that I filled twice, and could leave it. If I were to drink now, the bottle would be empty in no time. Ugh.

I am not too anxious about the holiday. We are staying home here, and I just have to cook for my husband and kids. I do have to bake two items to donate to the school for the teachers. We pack it nicely and they take it as a gift as they leave for the holiday. I will likely make cranberry/oat/white chip cookies, and the recipe makes enough for two plates of cookies. Then, I think husband and kids will do a short visit on the weekend to his family, and I will stay here with the puppy/pony. He is not big on the car and we do not yet have dog sitters in place. Ultimately, if he can travel, we may be able to bring him to one of husband's sister's home, where they have 2 big dogs. In fact their younger is the same age as ours, and it would be fun to have them meet.

Feeling some pull to drink on T day, since husband will. I will try to logon, but will be busy cooking all day, pretty much. I do not have a great holiday track record.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Logging in is a good idea, Phoebe.
And I've got a surprise for you all...You're all going on the spa trip with me today!!! Lol
I'm feeling pretty anxious about it, totally silly but very real. It's a long drive out (I hate driving to places I've never been.) and I'll be sharing a room with three others...plus they keep texting me with hints and I have no idea what is planned... I'm a girl that needs a plan. It is all a blessing to be surrounded by such amazing people that care so much for me. And I completely adore these ladies! Why is my brain torturing me with what ifs? So annoying.
I've got laundry going and will try to take a nap to shut my mind off for a bit.
I hope you're all having a nice weekend.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Phoebe, it looks like you and Leigh have lots on your 'to do' list for Thanksgiving. And I also know that if there was an open bottle here I would obsess about it. In fact if I knew I could only have one beer and there was no way to get more, I would find that very agitating. One doesn't work for me....but that's the gig right?

I have to say, one thing our yappy little dog does well is riding. Supposed to be 28 here tonight. Will have to decide which plants to save and which to give to Jack Frost.

I'm about to cook a thing called Dutch baby for my little one. It involves using a mixer....wish me luck. So where do we keep the mixer anyway?........
Old 11-22-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Ummmmm, I've never been to a spa thing. Well, first time for everything.

I agree phoebe......stay really connected here. We got this!
Old 11-22-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Sounds like you might be thinking in the back of your mind that you could be presented with a drinking opportunity Conquest. I think you'll be fine. It's a good idea to keep checking in here if things get weird.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Yep, definitely. But I've overcome much more tempting situations..just gotta keep reminding myself. In 24 hrs., I'll be laughing for getting worked up today. It's going to be a really great time. Gotta get girlied up now! Thx for being here dear friends. This opportunity wouldn't be happening without your support this year.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

I never thought about the drinking angle...not spa savvy. Kind of like knowing you're gonna get together with the guys to watch a game maybe. I get it now. I think you'll settle in and have a great time Conquest!

Off for a run. Might even be cold.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

I desperately need to come with you Conquest.

I had a very bad night. I started a thread in alcoholism....
I can't stop crying, but I feel much better.
Thank you Dee. ♥

Have fun Conquest huny, don't work too hard phoebe love, and huge hugs to all of you!!!
Old 11-22-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Hugs, venuscat; sending love.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Just a quick 'Hi'; sending love, dear Octsobers.

So much more Thanksgiving prep work to do.

I'll catch-up tomorrow, I hope.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Hi V, I saw your other thread and am very sorry you have dealt with such stressful family drama. Sending loads of support and big brotherly hugs.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Just a quick 'Hi'; sending love, dear Octsobers.

So much more Thanksgiving prep work to do.

I'll catch-up tomorrow, I hope.
Wow Leigh, you must be hosting this year. We like having things here too, but it can be lots of work. Nice to see you checking in though.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
Wow Leigh, you must be hosting this year. We like having things here too, but it can be lots of work. Nice to see you checking in though.
You guessed it, Mark; we are hosting big time!!!!!
Old 11-22-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Oh V...just read your thread. So sorry you gotta go through this with family. I think most families share something similar. Not everyone always gets along. Lines have been drawn in the sand with certain members of my family and it's just too bad. But there comes a time where you can't give enough of yourself anymore and you gotta move on. I hope you can find some peace in that. Here to listen. :hugs:
Old 11-22-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

The thing that's really bugging me right now is that I have tons of physical work to do today, and this messed me around. I am exhausted.

vana just reminded me of the 10-second rule in our chat thread, so that's what I'm going to do. I can do it for 10 seconds, and then another 10, and so on.