Administrator

Class of November 2015 Part 4

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-20.html

D
Old 11-26-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 7.

First and foremost, Happy Thanksgiving! I hope it's not been too much of a burden for everyone. For better or worse, this is my third Holiday Season trying to get sober. I personally feel good now and hopefully won't have any urges.

Last night was a bit of a different story. At about 7pm, I got that old impulse. It wasn't even specifically to go drink. It was to go do SOMETHING. Well, in sticking with my goal of building this sober life, I decided to hit an AA meeting. There's a myriad of things AA and I don't see eye to eye on, but I do appreciate a community(like SR) of alcoholics and addicts that can sit and vent. It was exactly what I needed.

It's clear as day; I use when I get bored. I still have a lot of reprogramming to do in terms of letting go of associating alcohol to many things; however, I drawing on the 9 months sober I had and will not look back.

Much Love,

Nolan
Old 11-26-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

430pm on thanksgiving and I haven't had a drop. I grabbed a pop right away, so no one even offered me wine or beer. Hubby has had a couple. Feeling full and happy and grateful to be sober today.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

great going guys

D
Old 11-26-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 26

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hope everyone has a safe and sober holiday!

My Cowboys are getting killed.....but not a reason to drink(lol).

May the day be ours!

cheers!
Old 11-26-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Made it through a social thanksgiving gathering with friends...drank 4 diet cokes instead of 4 beers and 4 glasses of wine. I feel a bit obsessive about staying sober this time, very early days though and I know from past stints of sobriety it will get easier and less consuming. At the gathering it became clear why I like drinking socially: to make people more interesting, social lubricant effect. Although it was probably just the company, I felt soberly bored but at least I didn't cave in. The main reason I didn't drink was because I played the tape through in my head: start drinking at noon, drink at the social, keep drinking through the evening at home, wake up hungover, get a drink by noon, press repeat button...this strategy was an effective deterrent which I would recommend to anyone going through the same.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 3.... Feeling really good
Old 11-26-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amitranjan04 View Post
Day 3.... Feeling really good
I like it!
Old 11-26-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving

I'm in Canada so today was a regular day for us. I had a quiet day, spent most of the time in bed reading and having little naps. I really needed it after the emotional week I had.

I realized that I am not responsible for my husband's unhappiness, although he insists on blaming me for it...and a million other things. It's not my job to make him happy, and it's not my job to make all his resentment go away.

My job is to let go of the things that I can't control...to heal, and to find my own happiness.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How many times does it take for some to get that when you say "no thanks" to a glass of wine that you really mean it? One woman (the hostess asked me LITERALLY 5 times to take a glass! (and she is the one that complains that her Ex is an A) - now I guess I know why he is? )

But I made it through that party and now a smaller party at home where I just have to listen to hearing endless repeats of in-laws stories told every year. Wine would be a temporary but dishonest solution - a lubricant someone called it But I would rather have nice dreams that shut everyone out. I'm going to get through it - only a couple hours until everyone retires to bed and Day 4 will be in the bag

Good night and best wishes everyone!
Old 11-26-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Happy thanksgiving to everyone who is celebrating!

Patricia 68, good to hear you are working on your own happiness and not taking responsibility for your husbands moods. I've been in a similar relationship, and I know how hard it can be. Happy to hear you are staying strong!

It's not a holiday here, which I am quite thankful for at the moment. I am not in the mood to celebrate anything, just getting annoyed at everyone and everything. Would like to stay in my cave and just vegetate.

However, now and then I get a real feeling of being present, in the moment. It's like I almost forgotten what it's like to really be here, and now. As if someone just poured a bucket of water over my head and told me: "Welcome back". And I never even realised I've been away...
Old 11-26-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you all have made it through Thanksgiving. I'm happy to report I did as well. Never wanted to drink, but was pretty emotional early in the day. Still had an upset stomach from my binge two days ago, and then got pretty depressed. Didn't want to talk to anyone; just wanted to hole up in my room. Then my uncle and sister started drinking and he was being a jerk. Had to step into the bathroom and cry a few times, but then I started feeling better. And no one else was drinking. We all went for a beautiful walk after dinner. There were some clouds in the sky but the light was so bright and beautiful reflecting off the mountains...in that moment I was so grateful for my sobriety. I had a glimpse of hope: I CAN beat this. I deserve a sober life. Wonderful things await me in sobriety that I could never have while drinking. I don't know what they are yet, but I know they are out there.

Thank you all for being here. Finding SR has been the most life-changing event for me.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Day 33 for me. Thanksgiving with the family actually went really well. I just brought sparkling cider and drank that. Everyone has been bugging me and my boyfriend about when we're going to have babies, so they were all wondering if I was pregnant since I wasn't drinking. Surprisingly nobody pressured me at all to drink (though everybody was pretty blasted themselves). I also got a lot of remarks about how great I looked, so that's a nice (albeit a bit vain) benefit of not drinking. Goodbye bloatiness!

It's also interesting to be around drunk people when you're not drunk yourself. Somehow, it's not as much fun.

Anyway, I am really enjoying myself these days. I feel so much healthier and I actually have a hopeful outlook for my future, which I haven't had in what feels like forever. The more days I get, the more I also realize that alcohol made me so selfish. I got to the point where it seemed like my every waking thought had to do with alcohol. Where will I get it? I already went to that store this week, so I can't go to that one. I have to go to this one. Where will I hide it when I get home? Can I take sips when he's not looking? How will I hide the fact that I'm drunk? Where can I hide the empty bottles so he doesn't find them? Dealing with that, plus all of the guilt and the shame and the hopelessness doesn't leave you much time to think about much else in your life, much less worry about what other people are doing.

This past month, I've been trying to focus on being the best person I can be, and a huge part of that includes being there for other people when they need me. I've been able to take pleasure in the small things. I actually have a head start on my Christmas shopping. My house is clean. This is the cheesiest thing ever, but my life right now feels like when Dorothy steps out of her house and sees Oz for the first time. It's like a whole new world opened up for me, and I'm enjoying every bit of it. Do I still struggle with cravings? Hell yes I do. But when I compare what my life was like with alcohol to how my life has been without it, I wouldn't change a thing.

Sorry for the long post! I hope that you're all having a wonderful day, and I pray for strength and courage for all of you. =)
Old 11-26-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by learntofly View Post
Where will I get it? I already went to that store this week, so I can't go to that one. I have to go to this one. Where will I hide it when I get home? Can I take sips when he's not looking? How will I hide the fact that I'm drunk? Where can I hide the empty bottles so he doesn't find them?
This was also my daily routine. It's very time consuming to be an alcoholic. Not only does time fly quickly when you're drinking, you also have these additional tasks to manage. It takes some real determination to keep that going.

Imagine what we could achieve if we choose another goal - and stayed just as determined to achieve it. Seems us alcoholics have a great stamina and could succeed in almost anything!

On that note, start with staying sober
Old 11-26-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi everybody!
I'm so glad everybody is making it through this holiday sober! I actually poured wine and drinks to a few guests and still wasn't tempted. I'm pretty happy about that. Once in awhile I get that weird feeling in my gut that I need something, but I'm learning to just feel it and let it pass. I hope it doesn't get worse, but I'm sure some days will be harder then others.
Tomorrow starts day 19.......seems like forever till its 30! I WANT 30, 60, 90 .....the moon!
Have a great evening everybody. I'm so proud of all of you!!!
Glad you're feeling better Thumbelina, Patricia, and Swimkim!

KIR
Old 11-26-2015, 09:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it! Day 21 and it was a wonderful day! This is the first Thanksgiving in years that I didn't have to pry myself out of bed and cook with a headache, dehydration, fatigue, you know, the hangover stuff. I actually hopped out of bed and started on my cooking right away. Later my sis in law (my husbands sister) came by and we sat at the table, ate, and talked. I am working to rebuild our relationship I compromised because of a horrible thing I did with her husband when I was super drunk, thus the reason she banned her husband from ever coming over again. I'm so glad she forgave me. I always feel a little shy around her for my transgression though. Just another reason to stay sober.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday. I was hoping to join the class of Nov, if it's ok? It's been five days without a drink. I think the worst of the withdrawal storm has almost blown over. Feeling a lot clearer today, and a bit more stable emotionally. Appetite and sleep are both still very disrupted, hopeful time will cure that. I want to continue the momentum I have going, and I have SR and members to thank for helping me this far. I live in a very remote area of Northern Maine, and have little or no contact with others, and 40 miles from the nearest town without a drivers license. with only internet. The only reason I have electricity is thanks to a near by dam that creates it and it has to pass thru me to get to civilization, so the SR forum has been absolutely wonderful!! Thank you, and looking forward to everyone's support, and helping to support everyone
Old 11-26-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 5 got2stopnow!
Old 11-26-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you CurlyGirl! and congrats on 21 days to you!! I hope to make it that far and then some, the rest of my life actually. But just going to focus on day six for now. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-26-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by got2stopnow View Post
I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday. I was hoping to join the class of Nov, if it's ok? It's been five days without a drink. I think the worst of the withdrawal storm has almost blown over. Feeling a lot clearer today, and a bit more stable emotionally. Appetite and sleep are both still very disrupted, hopeful time will cure that. I want to continue the momentum I have going, and I have SR and members to thank for helping me this far. I live in a very remote area of Northern Maine, and have little or no contact with others, and 40 miles from the nearest town without a drivers license. with only internet. The only reason I have electricity is thanks to a near by dam that creates it and it has to pass thru me to get to civilization, so the SR forum has been absolutely wonderful!! Thank you, and looking forward to everyone's support, and helping to support everyone
Welcome got2stopnow and great job on 5 days!!! I will add you to our new class list that I am posting in the morning! Keep up the great work! :-)