Notices

Class of September 2015

Old 09-08-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Day 3 is great. I'm reading Thirst for Freedom by David Stewart but I wouldn't say its easy reading. Very interesting stuff though. I don't know of any really easy reading books other than the Big Book. Even if you're not AA, its still a good read. And the section on How it Works, if followed, can be very eye opening.

I don't count days either. I do occassionally 'look up' to see where I am. But for me counting is not productive. I just try to do the next right thing and be very mindful of staying right here in the moment.

I'll talk about yoga so much you guys will get sick of me. I cannot tell you how much hot yoga supports my recovery. I am also attending my first guided meditation and dharma talk tonight. My daughter is coming with me. Can't wait.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

I read ' drinking: a love story' its easy to read and very very good.

I also love yoga and I'm thinking of not counting days so closely this time, it doesn't seem to help me
Old 09-08-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

It is said that alcohol is a symptom of other underlying causes and conditions. It certainly is for me. Keep going where you're going....the root cause is what you are looking for.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Welcome! 11 months is a great achievement. You can do it again. I sabotage myself too...big time. I think when things are great I'm always looking up, wondering when the sky is going to fall. When it doesn't, I do something to make it. Crazy. It helps me to be really mindful of staying in just this moment. Tomorrow hasn't happened yet.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

My 13 year old made me feel like crap again this morning. She loves to bring up things I have done wrong/embarrassing while drinking. The pain this causes has sabotaged me before and I can't let it happen. I am already in deep pain for so many reasons it was the last thing I needed. I feel so low.
Lilly
Old 09-08-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post

I also love yoga and I'm thinking of not counting days so closely this time, it doesn't seem to help me
For whatever reason counting days causes me to future trip. I remember when I was approaching year 1 I had this 'now what?' feeling. Like something momentous was supposed to happen in the first year. I made it almost another year but that second year was really tough. I didn't realize that really nothing changes. Its the same fundamentals everyday. So if I just stay focused on this moment with respect to my recovery, it keeps me from future tripping and keeps me out of the 'results' so to speak. It isn't how many days or years, its how I'm living right now.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LostLilly View Post
My 13 year old made me feel like crap again this morning. She loves to bring up things I have done wrong/embarrassing while drinking. The pain this causes has sabotaged me before and I can't let it happen. I am already in deep pain for so many reasons it was the last thing I needed. I feel so low.
Lilly
Don't let her get you down! Keep going.
My 14 year old niece torments my sister, its just what they do sometimes; if she sees that she's not effecting you and that you're continuing to stay sober she'll probably ease up, she's probably worried, angry and just lashing out
Xoxo
Old 09-08-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
For whatever reason counting days causes me to future trip. I remember when I was approaching year 1 I had this 'now what?' feeling. Like something momentous was supposed to happen in the first year. I made it almost another year but that second year was really tough. I didn't realize that really nothing changes. Its the same fundamentals everyday. So if I just stay focused on this moment with respect to my recovery, it keeps me from future tripping and keeps me out of the 'results' so to speak. It isn't how many days or years, its how I'm living right now.
I like the idea of keeping celebrations for milestones, but the counting everyday seems to throw me off, I like what you've said about just living it.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone and welcome to all the new joiners. Day 7 sober for me. Still catching up on everyones posts and work (ugh...). I'll post more later, just wanted to pop in and say HI.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Good morning form East Coast USA - all is good here on Day 2. Nice to wake up without a hangover.

As for books I'm currently reading Blackout by Sarah Hepola. So far, it's the best book I have read on alcohol/alcoholism. I can relate very much to her story. She's a talented writer and it's an enjoyable read.

Off to my busy day.... I have an appointment for my son this morning, work and then group therapy
Old 09-08-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Good Morning Everybody, day 10 for me. I had a great time at the NASCAR race on Sunday. I have had a slight headache the last few days, hope it goes away soon.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

I'm in like Flynn! I have been MIA on the boards for a few months but wanted to check-in & say that I am still sober. I have been dealt a few doozies in the past couple of months, but I didn't drink! I'm continuing my work on making a better me, still work in progress. :-)
Old 09-08-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Woke up sober this morning, Day 3! Have to take my daughter to the doctor because she broke her thumb last week and have other errands to run. Staying busy is a good thing.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post

I've heard of this one. Maybe I'll pick it up today!!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Lilly
sending hugs. Stay strong and remember your bad choices don't define who you are. You get to make new, better choices today. So forgive yourself and her and know that today you get to feel beautiful and strong!!! <3
Old 09-08-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Day 2 here. I am so tired. Hope this passes soon.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Lilly
Hi LostLilly
I'm still getting everyone straight here so I can't remember if you have had relapses in the past or not. I have a 14 year old daughter. I am lucky that she is incredibly compassionate (she is just genetically that way) but she still needs to talk things through, which forces me to face, without resentment toward her, the consequences of my actions and how they affect her. She's just a kid and my drinking scares the heck out of her. Some kids will act like its not happening, or they aren't affected by it, or they will put down their parent (that is what I did to my father). But really, I believe most kids are deeply frightened. Maybe if you can sit and talk to your child in a proactive way and hear out (if they are willing) all of their thoughts and feelings. Then maybe after you've had some sober time (words tend to mean little to our loved ones if we've been relapsing...actions are everything) you can tell her/him that when they 'razz' you about your drinking it hurts. But really? I believe I kind of lose the right to be hurt based on my actions. But it's all individual. Try not to let that derail you. Its hard to face the pain that we cause, but necessary and unavoidable.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtostopthis View Post
Day 2 here. I am so tired. Hope this passes soon.
Hang in there, you know it will get better. The detox/retox cycle is far more painful than saying no to that first drink. You can do this!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Day 3 here. I loved waking up sober this morning.

needtostopthis: Did you know that after day 3 you are "out of the woods" for most of the worst physical symptoms of detox like fever, shakes, rapid heartbeat, etc. Then by day 5 you are really out of the woods. Just hang on with us and get to and through day 5. You'll feel better!

I appreciate everyone's book suggestions, I'll probably pick some of them up. I'm currently re-reading "Seven Weeks to Sobriety"by Joan Larsen. I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in the physical side of alcohol addiction and what it does to our bodies.

Stay strong today folks! We can do it together!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Yesterday fail. I woke up feeling so great. After spending my saturday recovering and sunday having a great time with my kiddo, woke up yesterday and was like, I've got this! I had to run to the store to get some food and damn alcohol in the store. Oh, I will just grab this wine. And then boom. I am blackout drunk. I woke up to many phone calls & incoherent texts to my soon to be ex-boyfriend. Bruises all over my legs. Like I fell down the stairs & who knows, maybe I did.

But guess what I did this morning? I got up, saw my bloodshot eyes. Took a long shower. Then I called the outpatient treatment to give them my information, then I called a holistic life coach to set up my first appt, then I called to get b12 injections. Made an appt for acupuncture & massage. You can't beat me this time alcohol.