Notices

Class of September 2015

Old 09-09-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Saoirse: CONGRATS ON 1 WEEK!!!! THAT'S A HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT!

segCurly, Silentsearch, halfV & Matilda: Welcome! You're in the right place. Pull up a chair and tell us about yourselves. You are among friends!
Old 09-09-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Well....SIGN me ON !!! Tomorrow will be my Day 10.

I'am glad to be back.

DD
Old 09-09-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

[_

segCurly, Silentsearch, halfV & Matilda: Welcome! You're in the right place. Pull up a chair and tell us about yourselves. You are among friends![/QUOTE]

Yes, one week is terrific! Congrats!!

About me: been drinking off and on for around 30 years and binge drinking has always been part of my pattern. Started as an early teen to cope with violence and continued as I bounced along in abusive relationships and/or distant relationships throughout my 20s and early 30s. By some miracle, I ended up with the person I'm with now, who is an absolute peach (alcohol has never helped me to make the best relationship decisions and an angel must have been looking out for me).

Despite patches of heavy drinking throughout my 30s and 40s, I ended up having a great deal of professional success in a demanding field. Looking back, I can see that I probably used that fact to hide from my escalating drinking. I also see that I could have been more successful if I hadn't been drinking, and have had to lately admit that I might not be as "high functioning" as I like to think. (I think it was ScottinWI who said high functioning is a stage, not a type of drinker). I have a lot of regret in that area.

At any rate, work stress is a big trigger for me, and I know this year is going to be particularly stressful, which is one reason I am trying to create a plan that mitigates some of that. I also know that I need to keep myself busy between 6-10, which is my witching hour.

I look forward to learning more about those of you on this thread and learning from your wisdom.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Closing in on day 6, feeling good about getting though a week. The temptation is everywhere and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered a glass of wine each day. I blame my laziness for keeping me sober. I'm enjoying time away from the TV as I'm noticing it's one of my biggest triggers nowadays. Everyone on TV is decorated with a drink; it make girls nights look more chic, date nights look more Romantic and nights on the town look more entertaining. All of these make me crave a little more excitement all centered around a drink. Unfortunately my life won't be anything like the shows. So Today I'm choosing my reality, and that's a quiet, safe, sober night in the house. I'd rather be alive than like the actors
Old 09-09-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SilentSearch View Post
I am struggling hard right now - instead of regretting who I might have been and feeling it's too late to anything other than try to survive - to instead use your sentence. To feel that any age one can make changes, have possibilities to find friends, live well, find good work.
Oh man I feel your struggle. Day 1 is brutal, no matter what. Give yourself time and be as kind to yourself as you can be. I think anything is possible, and probable without alcohol. I know with drink in my life I will never be the woman I want to be. Really I just want to healthy, peaceful, non harming (to myself and others) and a good mom. When I'm happy and healthy it shows, and that attracts good things to me. It will for you too.
I'm trying to think ofa phrase that someone once said...something like 'I can't walk out of the forest in half the distance it took me walk in'...or something like that. In other words, I didn't dig my whole in one week, so it'll take a while to dig out. But each day gets better and better. And the tough days? They are opportunities for growth. Hang in there. Your worst day sober is better than your best day drunk
Old 09-09-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by FaithfulAndFree View Post
Closing in on day 6, feeling good about getting though a week. I blame my laziness for keeping me sober. I'm enjoying time away from the TV as I'm noticing it's one of my biggest triggers nowadays. Everyone on TV is decorated with a drink; it make girls nights look more chic, date nights look more Romantic and nights on the town look more entertaining. All of these make me crave a little more excitement all centered around a drink.
I have barely turned on my tv in my five months not drinking. I used to just get drunk and stare at whatever was on. Huge waste of time. And all the beer ads are not the best thing in the world for any of us to watch. Good luck!

Last edited by stargazer016; 09-09-2015 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-09-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

"Worst day sober is better than your best day drunk"
Boy my AV is in my face on that one. It's true, I think, but I'm "remembering doe good times", which proves that I'm an alcoholic ! Lol
Old 09-09-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Day 5 just plodding along waiting for the looming weekend. Luckily I've made a doctor's appointment for 9am Saturday so that will help me through Friday I hope.

Impatient to get a weekend under my belt basically.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Tomorrow-Sat is the "danger zone" for me. Normally by now I'd be craving beer like crazy, tonight I really don't. Definitely caught myself trying to rationalize how I could drink some and be "different" this time- by now this idea is the definition of insanity for me. I'm about 3/4 looking forward to the weekend (I like to do plenty of things that are impossible once I've drank myself stupid), 1/4 dreading it as of right now.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

You guys worried about the weekend -- don't forget the weekender thread (it will start tomorrow) and the chat meeting on Friday at 9 pm EST.

You can do it!
Old 09-09-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mc82 View Post
Tomorrow-Sat is the "danger zone" for me. Normally by now I'd be craving beer like crazy, tonight I really don't. Definitely caught myself trying to rationalize how I could drink some and be "different" this time- by now this idea is the definition of insanity for me. I'm about 3/4 looking forward to the weekend (I like to do plenty of things that are impossible once I've drank myself stupid), 1/4 dreading it as of right now.
I hear you!
Old 09-09-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Oh man I feel your struggle. Day 1 is brutal, no matter what. Give yourself time and be as kind to yourself as you can be. I think anything is possible, and probable without alcohol. I know with drink in my life I will never be the woman I want to be. Really I just want to healthy, peaceful, non harming (to myself and others) and a good mom. When I'm happy and healthy it shows, and that attracts good things to me. It will for you too.
I'm trying to think ofa phrase that someone once said...something like 'I can't walk out of the forest in half the distance it took me walk in'...or something like that. In other words, I didn't dig my whole in one week, so it'll take a while to dig out. But each day gets better and better. And the tough days? They are opportunities for growth. Hang in there. Your worst day sober is better than your best day drunk
I'm reading this again 3 hrs later. This whole post is good! Thank you !
Old 09-09-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Day 1 is in the bag! Heading to bed early. Sweet dreams to those In this hemisphere, and good morning to my friends in the other!
Old 09-09-2015, 11:20 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Old 09-10-2015, 03:07 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Day 11

Today was so busy, tomorrow is a day im not prepped for. Next week I have a surprise work assignment due. Cool.

I miss drinking a bit because it adds some drama and adventure. I know thats false, i don't actually want a beer.

I just feel really blah. Like I don't want to talk to the girl I'm seeing, I don't want to talk to my friends, I don't want to exercise. My fire is out man.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Joining up in this group. I was here last month, but back on day 2.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to all newcomers and congratulations to everyone, regardless of what 'day' it is - we're all here for change - we're all winners
Old 09-10-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Day 4 feels like heaven compared to the last 3. I am thankful for that and at the same time know when I start to feel better I start to forget why I loathe drinking so much and think "oh, it wasn't that bad." That's when I fail again. I have to remember being sober is HARD. And I have to work at it. I feel positive today and am thankful for everyone here to talk to.
Thursday is always my biggest trigger day. Wishing light and love to those struggling today and hugs to all.
Let's get another day in the bag.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoirse View Post
Good Morning everyone. One week sober today! I really needed this boost. Tuesday nights had become a big drinking night for me because the house is empty. But I made it through. I had a list of things to accomplish and I stuck to that. I might start looking for an exercise or other class for that night. Hope everyone is having a good day so far.
I think finding an exercise class or hobby for this night would be a great idea and very helpful. I hope you find something you love!!
Old 09-10-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Rar

Good Morning Everyone. I have a cardiac stress test this morning and am grateful I will not be hungover to do it. LOL. Day 4 here. Wishing all strength and courage through another sober day.